Stephen ireland? - On his way out of city?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby JC_81 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 pm

The Times have run this piece today suggesting Stephen Ireland may consider switching clubs in search of first team football.  The article doesn't specifically link him with any clubs, but he is a player who scores goals from midfield and I think would be absolutely perfect for us.  He'd have no shortage of takers though, Alex Ferguson made a cheeky enquiry about him last summer and I'm sure he'd be interested again,

Only 23 years old, 13 goals from midfield last season when he was played regularly, has a great work ethic that would go down well with Benitez and his all round game is pretty good.

Here's the Times article anyway...

Stephen Ireland, the Manchester City midfield player, fears that he could be forced to look for a new club amid concerns that he does not figure in Roberto Mancini’s long-term plans.

Ireland was dropped for City’s Barclays Premier League game at home to Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday night, Mancini opting instead to play Adam Johnson, a winger, at the tip of a midfield diamond on his first start for the club since a protracted £8 million move from Middlesbrough.

Although that is Ireland’s favoured position — one from which he scored most of his 13 goals last season en route to being named City’s Player of the Year — he has played there only once since Mancini arrived at the club in December, for 56 minutes in the 3-0 win away to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

That, coupled with the manager’s decision to deploy wide players, such as Johnson, in the role ahead of him and Mancini’s pursuit of two midfield players, Fernando Gago, 23, of Real Madrid, and McDonald Mariga, 22, now of Inter Milan, during the transfer window last month appear to have convinced Ireland that his days at City are numbered.

The 23-year-old hopes that Mancini will give him an extended run in his favoured role, but if the situation does not improve between now and the end of the season, Ireland may consider his options in the summer.

Manchester United have been linked with the player in the past, but it is hard to envisage City allowing him to join their fierce rivals.

He would not leave the club lightly and accepts that competition for places will be intense, but is unlikely to stay if it means fighting a losing battle.

If there is anything in this story and if we don't look at this sitution in the summer then we are missing out
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm

He's a feckin' basketcase....needs his head examined, so no thanks....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Dundalk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm

I hate him, he is a clown of a man who embodies everything that is wrong with Premiership Footballers at the moment...............................but Id have him in the Liverpool team no problem.

A very talented footballer, who can pick a pass, dribble and score goals, there isnt too many off them left.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Dundalk wrote:I hate him, he is a clown of a man who embodies everything that is wrong with Premiership Footballers at the moment...............................but Id have him in the Liverpool team no problem.

A very talented footballer, who can pick a pass, dribble and score goals, there isnt too many off them left.

And can you imagine if he parked that poncey Range Rover with the pink wheels outside Anfield ?  :D
bunglemark2

Postby JC_81 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:17 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:He's a feckin' basketcase....needs his head examined, so no thanks....

Just out of interest mate, for a guy who has claimed in the past to be a ROI supporter and goes to the games, are there any of our players that you actually do rate??

Of the younger players coming through Ireland (although currently in self-imposed International exile) and McGeady are clearly the most talented yet you haven't a good word to say about either.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:23 pm

john craig wrote:Just out of interest mate, for a guy who has claimed in the past to be a ROI supporter and goes to the games, are there any of our players that you actually do rate??

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:10 pm

I would love to see Stephen Ireland come to Liverpool if there was a chance of it happening. He is a very talented footballer and could offer a lot to our team.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby heimdall » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:29 pm

Yossi_Benaloon wrote:I would love to see Stephen Ireland come to Liverpool if there was a chance of it happening. He is a very talented footballer and could offer a lot to our team.

I agree, a very talented footballer who would add a a lot to the team.
heimdall

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 pm

john craig wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:He's a feckin' basketcase....needs his head examined, so no thanks....

Just out of interest mate, for a guy who has claimed in the past to be a ROI supporter and goes to the games, are there any of our players that you actually do rate??

Of the younger players coming through Ireland (although currently in self-imposed International exile) and McGeady are clearly the most talented yet you haven't a good word to say about either.

"claims to be a ROI supporter" ?  :D   :D

Seeing as I am Dublin born and bred (that'd be the capital city of the ROI  :;):  ), and seeing as I go to all the home games - even pre: move to Croke Park - yes, I think I can comment on Stephen Ireland and others....As for him, yes, he IS a total headcase.....all that rubbish over 'my granny died...no, not THAT granny, the OTHER granny....hang on, BOTH of them are still alive.....I don't like being slagged 'cos my hair is falling out....'.
Yes, he IS a headcase....I'll concede that he IS a quality footballer, but he's unstable, and I think rather than focus on trying to force his way into the Man City team, he's throwing his soother out of the pram and looking for a move.
As for McGeady, there's no end product...he'll ghost past average players but when it comes to delivering the final ball, he fluffs it time and time again. I've seen it in Croker loadsa times....
As for who IS quality, well, I've said on here before that even though Kevin Doyle isn't the most talented player I've ever seen, you will never see him give less than 110%. Shay between the sticks is class, pure and simple. Honey Monster (Dunne) is class. Andy Reid has a silky left boot (and thankfully he stopped eatin' all those pies)...
Need I go on ?
bunglemark2

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Yea he's a great player imagine him and masch holding and he will deffo offer more going forward then lucas
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
john craig wrote:

"claims to be a ROI supporter" ?  :D   :D

Seeing as I am Dublin born and bred (that'd be the capital city of the ROI  :;):  ), and seeing as I go to all the home games - even pre: move to Croke Park - yes, I think I can comment on Stephen Ireland and others....As for him, yes, he IS a total headcase.....all that rubbish over 'my granny died...no, not THAT granny, the OTHER granny....hang on, BOTH of them are still alive.....I don't like being slagged 'cos my hair is falling out....'.
Yes, he IS a headcase....I'll concede that he IS a quality footballer, but he's unstable, and I think rather than focus on trying to force his way into the Man City team, he's throwing his soother out of the pram and looking for a move.
As for McGeady, there's no end product...he'll ghost past average players but when it comes to delivering the final ball, he fluffs it time and time again. I've seen it in Croker loadsa times....
As for who IS quality, well, I've said on here before that even though Kevin Doyle isn't the most talented player I've ever seen, you will never see him give less than 110%. Shay between the sticks is class, pure and simple. Honey Monster (Dunne) is class. Andy Reid has a silky left boot (and thankfully he stopped eatin' all those pies)...
Need I go on ?

Because you go to Croke mate doesn't mean you're any more qualified to talk bollox than the rest of us I'm afraid.

Stephen Ireland and Aiden McGeady are both quality footballers.  However neither have played that many games in an Irish shirt, so going to the Irish homes games gives you fu.ck all insight into either of them in terms of their ability.

If Stephen Ireland is a head case, and I don't claim to know him personally, then I don't give a fu.ck, the same way I wouldn't care if Steven Gerrard was a cu.nt of a man in person.  I don't know footballers personally and I don't want to know them personally, I only care what happens on the pitch.

As for McGeady, personally I just think you're talking out your rear one.

But hey, Andy Reid and Kevin Doyle, now theres a couple of real footballers...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:50 pm

john craig wrote:Because you go to Croke mate doesn't mean you're any more qualified to talk bollox than the rest of us I'm afraid.

Stephen Ireland and Aiden McGeady are both quality footballers.  However neither have played that many games in an Irish shirt, so going to the Irish homes games gives you fu.ck all insight into either of them in terms of their ability.

If Stephen Ireland is a head case, and I don't claim to know him personally, then I don't give a fu.ck, the same way I wouldn't care if Steven Gerrard was a cu.nt of a man in person.  I don't know footballers personally and I don't want to know them personally, I only care what happens on the pitch.

Somebody break your crayons, mate ?
The reason I mention physically going to the games is because you see an awful lot more than you do on the TV. McGeady is lazy, doesn't track back, hikes out of challenges all the time yada yada yada....I've seen him too often and frustrate the bejaysus out of 60,000+ in Croker (not) doing just that...
So no, I don't rate him.
Are you a closet Celtic fan or something ? That'd explain it....

And I did say Ireland is a quality footballer, but I also believe he is a few fries short of a happy meal....Why hasn't he played that many games in an Irish shirt ? 'Cos he's phuckin' bonkers, that's why. He's like Roy Keane all over again, but at least Keane wanted to play for his country....
bunglemark2

Postby JC_81 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:59 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
john craig wrote:Because you go to Croke mate doesn't mean you're any more qualified to talk bollox than the rest of us I'm afraid.

Somebody break your crayons, mate ?
The reason I mention physically going to the games is because you see an awful lot more than you do on the TV. McGeady is lazy, doesn't track back, hikes out of challenges all the time yada yada yada....I've seen him too often and frustrate the bejaysus out of 60,000+ in Croker (not) doing just that...
So no, I don't rate him.
Are you a closet Celtic fan or something ? That'd explain it....

And I did say Ireland is a quality footballer, but I also believe he is a few fries short of a happy meal....Why hasn't he played that many games in an Irish shirt ? 'Cos he's phuckin' bonkers, that's why. He's like Roy Keane all over again, but at least Keane wanted to play for his country....

No I can't stand Celtic mate, or Rangers for that matter and I do accept you can pick up on certain things at a game that you can't on TV.  However I spent a fair amount of time living in Scotland and have seen McGeady live several times.  I can also tell you that he has improved a lot in the last year or so.  The Croke crowd getting on his back after a few of his early International run outs won't change my opinion on that.

You say you've seen him 'too many times frustrate 60,000 at Croker'.  Bollox mate.  How many games has McGeady actually started in front of 60,000 at Croker?  Not many is the answer so save the bullsh.it.

I just find it odd that you rubbish the most talented young players Ireland have and champion the likes of Andy Reid.  Tell you what mate he must play like Pele at Croker, because he's fu.cking sh.ite on tv :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:15 pm

I think we'll agree to disagree - you rate McGeady, I don't. End of, pure and simple. But I'll stick by my opinion that he's not LFC material, as some were suggesting during the last transfer window. And I'll rubbish players if I believe - and can back-up - they're not good enough for Ireland, or Liverpool for that matter.
Would you disagree that McShane is possibly the worst defender the ROI has had in the past 2-3 decades (couldn't care less if he's young or not, he's cat !) ? Or that that Wolves winger (forget his name now...the bloke with the blonde hair...) is poison ?
So what if they're young - they're not good enough.
bunglemark2

Postby JC_81 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:23 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:I think we'll agree to disagree - you rate McGeady, I don't. End of, pure and simple. But I'll stick by my opinion that he's not LFC material, as some were suggesting during the last transfer window. And I'll rubbish players if I believe - and can back-up - they're not good enough for Ireland, or Liverpool for that matter.
Would you disagree that McShane is possibly the worst defender the ROI has had in the past 2-3 decades (couldn't care less if he's young or not, he's cat !) ? Or that that Wolves winger (forget his name now...the bloke with the blonde hair...) is poison ?
So what if they're young - they're not good enough.

Fair enough mate.

Don't rate McShane either.  Is Keogh the other one you mean?  I'd agree on him being tripe too.

My concern is that the Keane/Duff/Dunne/Given generation doesn't have too long left, maybe one more tournament if we can get there, so we really need the likes of McGeady to step up to the plate and fulfill some of that potential.

Stephen Ireland seems a complex character (or head case as it may be :laugh: ) but the National team is going to need him in the next few years.  Who knows, if he comes back into the fold, McGeady moves to a proper league and Reid stays off the pies we might actually qualify for something :buttrock
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill