City

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Waldo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:50 am

There is no way the clubs owners would turn down a £100m offer for Torres but there is also no way that Rafa would be allowed to re-invest any of the proceeds into the squad. In fact it would fall to another manager as Rafa would walk if Torres is sold!!
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Waldo wrote:There is no way the clubs owners would turn down a £100m offer for Torres

And what are you basing that on?

The owners as stupid as they are are not that stupid. They know full well there will be a huge uproar if he is sold.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:33 pm

1. Torres wouldn't do it to this club/fans. His heart is in playing for the shirt.
2. If city want him that bad then it's an easy conversation between the clubs...

LFC - "Hello, I belive you want to buy Torres at any cost?"
MANC - "yes this is true, how much?"
LFC - "Pay our debt off and leave us with £50m to replace Torres"
MANC - "cheques in the post"
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:29 pm

I agree Torres seems to be increasingly injury prone so think its a case of 100 million in this financial market? Sell. Apart from the Silva/Villa option we need to be planning the medium term replacement of Stevie G, 100 million would come in mighty handy.

'The Liverpool Way' is history and has been for a few years now sadly. We have the Hicks Way, with the Rafa Way trying to preserve what little grace we have left.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Dundalk wrote:A fit Torres > any other forward in the world

exactly. but how much fit torres are we seeing these days?

he's having another injury ravaged season and has the world cup coming which is going to affect his preparation for being fit next season. i love torres almost as much as my own mum but having him on the sick list doesn't help us much with the paucity of our other options.

trying to be objective about us i wonder if a couple of slightly sub torres but fitter than torres strikers might be better for us.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:03 pm

We probably wont see a fit Torres for a while. He has not had any decent rest since the summer before the Euros and he wont get any this summer if Spain go all the way.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:51 pm

"you don't sell your best players"

Doesn't Liverpool have a history of selling some of its best players?  Keegan, Fowler, Owen, McManaman.  The club needs to do what is in the best interest of the club without sentiment.
JoeTerp

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm

anti-hero wrote:Selling Torres wouldnt be the Liverpool Way.

And selling our Torres would mean more than just us 'receiving 100 million dollars' (more like losing 100 million dollars really) ; it would really underline the ominous feeling that we all have that money is increasingly taking over football. money > football.

i dont know about you but i still believe that good, honest footballers and their teams, are above money and its greedy offspring.

you can call me crazy, but its a romantic idea that i do not want to let go.

and selling torres to moneybags city will prove to me even more that the game is dead. and everything is about the money now.

Dollars?  :no  Snap out of it.

The rest is good.

You sometimes sell your best players, just not Fernando Torres  :D
LFC2007

Postby Homebooby » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 am

I think it comes down to how badly they want him. They seem to be paying STUPID money at this moment. If we were to push the envelope considerably further than their current highest buy, I would accept it with regret.

I want to see the club in a position to bring in players again, move forward, get the ground going, stop hearing about our finances in the news etc etc etc. If that can be achieved with the sale of one player...bring it on.
Homebooby

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:18 pm

JoeTerp wrote:"you don't sell your best players"

Doesn't Liverpool have a history of selling some of its best players?  Keegan, Fowler, Owen, McManaman.  The club needs to do what is in the best interest of the club without sentiment.

Yes, all players in their late 20's if my memory serves me well.

Keegan went and we got Dalglish.

Souness went and we actually got better as a team. The season after we made the CL final, the season after that we won the double.

McMananman went on a free cos of LFC's ineptitude in allowing him to get within 12 months of the end of his contract and their ill conceived attempts to seell him to Barcelona a year earlier.

Owen left cos he's a gob. :censored: !

Torres is on the cusp of his career and has at least 5 years at the very highest level and at the top of his game.

When the Mancs cashed in on Ronaldo the majority of the money went on the club's debt and their still £750 million in the red !

Selling to one of your rivals doesn't make sense whatever the price and despite what many appear to believe about football these days there is more to football than money !  :Oo:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Dalglish wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:"you don't sell your best players"

Yes, all players in their late 20's if my memory serves me well.

Keegan went and we got Dalglish.

Souness went and we actually got better as a team. The season after we made the CL final, the season after that we won the double.

McMananman went on a free cos of LFC's ineptitude in allowing him to get within 12 months of the end of his contract and their ill conceived attempts to seell him to Barcelona a year earlier.

Owen left cos he's a gob. :censored: !

Torres is on the cusp of his career and has at least 5 years at the very highest level and at the top of his game.

When the Mancs cashed in on Ronaldo the majority of the money went on the club's debt and their still £750 million in the red !

Selling to one of your rivals doesn't make sense whatever the price and despite what many appear to believe about football these days there is more to football than money !  :Oo:

:nod
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Kopite25 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:17 pm

£200m and would have to be a yes from me on the condition that it all goes back into the kitty for new players!!!

I'm sure the banks screwed us on the re-fi deal. They should have pushed for a clause like Arsenals lenders (for the stadium) did that a min of 75% raised through player sales is made available to the manager.

They were smart as they knew that selling their best players & not reinvesting the money meant Arsenal were less likely to compete and therefore there income would be reduced!!!!

Fookin RBS :angry:
Shankly on boardroom meetings - 'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9349/kkwt.jpg
Kopite25

Postby Waldo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:56 pm

Anyone who thinks the clubs owners would turn down an offer in excess of £50m (never mind £100m) for Torres needs their heads read!!!
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Dinger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Waldo wrote:Anyone who thinks the clubs owners would turn down an offer in excess of £50m (never mind £100m) for Torres needs their heads read!!!

Why would the owners want to sell him? He is one of our best players in a season where we are despratley trying to qualify for the champions league in order to get the club more money next year. For the amount of debt it would pay off compared to the amount that the club would be devalued for selling him, even the yanks must be able to see there is no sense in selling.
Dinger

Postby kalos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:43 pm

Unbelievable some of the comments on here.

Who in thier right mind can't see that if we sold Torres for silly money we would have to PAY EQUALLY SILLY MONEY for an inferior player?/

Or do you really think that the Villas of the world will be offered to us for £30m ???? ????

The market then becomes totally crazy and we as the weakest team in the" big 4" will never be able to keep up with "market price". Mid-table mediocrity would be our staple diet.
kalos

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill