Stephen ireland

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:23 pm

There is a lot of speculation doing the rounds at the moment that Liverpool are going to sign Stephen Ireland from Manchester City. Now i thought Liverpool did not have a lot of money to spend during the summer, would expect Ireland to cost around £7-£10 million. He is a good midfielder which could offer a lot to the side.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby RedSi35 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Replacement for Gerrard?

Similar type of player imo
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:36 pm

I said it before, No ! He's a headcase...needs help...we don't need a psych like him...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:20 pm

cracking player.

Cant see it though, would cost alot of money and dont think they would sell him either.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Waldo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 pm

A steal @ £10m. Cracking young player.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby kalos » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Ireland in - Lucas out (please!!)
kalos

Postby tubby » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:45 pm

Why doesn't he play for Ireland? I heard it was over some joke about his hair? Is that true?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 am

I've said it before about this fella, I think he's a brilliant player who will get a lot better. I'm going to go out on a limb a bit here and say that in my opinion he has the potential to develop into one of the best midfielders in the Premiership, right up there with the Gerrard's, the Lampards and the Fabregas's. I think he's only scratched the surface so far as to how good a player he can become, and I think Mancini has been wrong not to play him more often. He's got a great engine, two good feet, scores a goal and knocks a lovely pass. His main flaws seem to be that a) he's a bit of a d!ckhead  and b) he has a tendency to completely switch off and daydream defensively.

The first problem will probably be sorted as he grows up a bit, and even if it isn't I wouldn't discount the bloke on account of a pink Range Rover and a silly tatoo. The second will be cured with maturity.

For anything under 20 million quid, I'd go in and make the purchase. He'd fit into our team better than Lucas and Aquilini combined IMHO.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:34 am

bunglemark2 wrote:I said it before, No ! He's a headcase...needs help...we don't need a psych like him...

Why because he wouldnt play for Ireland? :D

Cant believe the way our Irish fans booed him when we played City, its a Liverpool match ffs, Its like me booing Bridge for pulling out the England squad as if  :D

If we could sign him then Id be made up a vast improvement on Lucas.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:41 am

he doesn't play for ireland anymore because of an ongoing fallout with trappatoni. a couple of years back he pulled out of the squad before an important match saying that his grandmother had died, he was found out to be lying and the actual reason was because his girlfriend had suffered a miscarriage. reason enough to leave the squad you should think, but there you go.

i think he's an excellent player, but his taste for cars is terrible.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:49 am

Too similar to Aquilani...
Dont think he'd be a replacement for Gerrard as some are suggesting though.. I guess to me it all comes down to how Aquilani develops over the next couple of months and whether he features in our plans for next season or not... Dont think theres much difference between Aquilani and Ireland... Not in terms of ability (both excellent players on the ball, and bring other attacking players in the game expertly), and not in terms of tracking back (lacking for both)...

Again, i like him as a player but wouldnt spend big money on him unless Aquilani is sold or given up on...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:24 pm

I agree Ireland is a good player but i would not want to see big money spent on him if it meant funds would be limited to strengthen in other areas. It could be a case where space would have to be vacated in the midfield for Ireland to be an option, he looks to have all the capabilities to develop into a great midfielder.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:12 pm

aCe' wrote:Too similar to Aquilani...
Dont think he'd be a replacement for Gerrard as some are suggesting though.. I guess to me it all comes down to how Aquilani develops over the next couple of months and whether he features in our plans for next season or not... Dont think theres much difference between Aquilani and Ireland... Not in terms of ability (both excellent players on the ball, and bring other attacking players in the game expertly), and not in terms of tracking back (lacking for both)...

Again, i like him as a player but wouldnt spend big money on him unless Aquilani is sold or given up on...

I am certain his goal return would be far greater than the italians personally.
But i get the gist of your post.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:39 pm

I personally think he has the potential to be a far better player than Aquilani. His performance at Anfield this season was as good as I've seen from a midfielder in many a while, and he has that little touch of something special allied to an excellent workrate. My guess is that over the next couple of seasons if given the opportunity he'll become one of the best midfielders in the league.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Bizarre how he's fallen out of favour at Man City this season. He was their best player last season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill