Squad size

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:54 am

Owzat wrote:
RedBlood wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:
GYBS wrote:So who are these other midfield players that should of played instead of lucas then ?

Who are these other whole host of players ?

spearing is a much better player and didnt cost £6m

spearing is much better then lucas?? what you on mate

Maybe these people have seen more of Spearing than they have of Lucas to make more informed statements, but I doubt it. He's come on a few times in a "game over" situation and done little wrong. I saw nothing to suggest he was brilliant, nothing to suggest he was poor.

Problem is some people tag players like Lucas, to such an extent they convince themselves it's undeniable fact that "Lucas is shit" is written in the big book of facts. Maybe it's simply that Spearing did little wrong in his 1st team appearances, and let's not beat about the bush that those are the games that count the most. SO maybe it's a totting up of mistakes, poor passes etc and even though Lucas has played better at times, he makes mistakes.

Spearing's 1st Team Apps

vs PSV (W3-1) : Came on for about 15 mins when it was 2-1 and the team was coasting to a third. Ironically this was one of Lucas' better games, against a poor PSV. Babel equalised just before half time from Lucas' free-kick, Lucas played well in midfield. Spearing came on, did nothing much wrong

vs Real Madrid (W4-0) : Came on for about 15 mins again when it was 3-0, did nothing spectacular

So are people seriously basing "Spearing is much better than Lucas" on about HALF AN HOUR's 1st team football this season?!?!? Both games he came on when we were winning, or perhaps people are basing it on Spearing's reserve team performances and comparing them with Lucas' 1st team performances - I seriously doubt that many people watch (enough) reserve team games, not that it would be the best comparison to be making anyway.

That's not to say Spearing isn't better than Lucas, just that it would be near impossible to compare when one has played a lot of 1st team football this season against the other who's played about half an hour - in favourable situations to boot. Give Spearing a few 90 mins and I bet people might not change their minds about Lucas, but I bet they might have second thoughts about Spearing making the step up

I agree with this line of reasoning. Even if it might end up being true, you cannot make the claim that Spearing is better.  Also, Lucas played really well in that Real Madrid game too.
JoeTerp

Postby Bam » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:05 am

Maybe these people have seen more of Spearing than they have of Lucas to make more informed statements, but I doubt it. He's come on a few times in a "game over" situation and done little wrong. I saw nothing to suggest he was brilliant, nothing to suggest he was poor.

Problem is some people tag players like Lucas, to such an extent they convince themselves it's undeniable fact that "Lucas is :censored:" is written in the big book of facts. Maybe it's simply that Spearing did little wrong in his 1st team appearances, and let's not beat about the bush that those are the games that count the most. SO maybe it's a totting up of mistakes, poor passes etc and even though Lucas has played better at times, he makes mistakes.

Like 'Barny', Keane and Crouch you mean ?

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am

JoeTerp wrote:
Owzat wrote:
RedBlood wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:
GYBS wrote:So who are these other midfield players that should of played instead of lucas then ?

Who are these other whole host of players ?

spearing is a much better player and didnt cost £6m

spearing is much better then lucas?? what you on mate

Problem is some people tag players like Lucas, to such an extent they convince themselves it's undeniable fact that "Lucas is shit" is written in the big book of facts. Maybe it's simply that Spearing did little wrong in his 1st team appearances, and let's not beat about the bush that those are the games that count the most. SO maybe it's a totting up of mistakes, poor passes etc and even though Lucas has played better at times, he makes mistakes.

Spearing's 1st Team Apps

vs PSV (W3-1) : Came on for about 15 mins when it was 2-1 and the team was coasting to a third. Ironically this was one of Lucas' better games, against a poor PSV. Babel equalised just before half time from Lucas' free-kick, Lucas played well in midfield. Spearing came on, did nothing much wrong

vs Real Madrid (W4-0) : Came on for about 15 mins again when it was 3-0, did nothing spectacular

So are people seriously basing "Spearing is much better than Lucas" on about HALF AN HOUR's 1st team football this season?!?!? Both games he came on when we were winning, or perhaps people are basing it on Spearing's reserve team performances and comparing them with Lucas' 1st team performances - I seriously doubt that many people watch (enough) reserve team games, not that it would be the best comparison to be making anyway.

That's not to say Spearing isn't better than Lucas, just that it would be near impossible to compare when one has played a lot of 1st team football this season against the other who's played about half an hour - in favourable situations to boot. Give Spearing a few 90 mins and I bet people might not change their minds about Lucas, but I bet they might have second thoughts about Spearing making the step up

I agree with this line of reasoning. Even if it might end up being true, you cannot make the claim that Spearing is better.  Also, Lucas played really well in that Real Madrid game too.

You simply cannot tell anyone that they can or cannot say Spearing if they wish is better than Lucas.

When I first saw Gerrard in his appearances away at Tottenham against Blackburn and Sheffield Wedensday I could of told you from those minutes of watching that Gerrard was better than Murphy.

Likewise when I first saw Sean Dundee play upfront for us, I knew he would not be any better than Karl Heinz Riedler.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Rorschach26 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:Bellend  :laugh:

Its good to see you can debate without resorting to insults.

I havent insulted you at all but there you go, i dont really let things wind me up on the internet and i can accept people have a different opinion than mine.

Now what i said about you only taking the last part of my post and then having no clue about what we had been talking about has clearly been proved here with your response calling me right wing.

By the way you are well out of order coming out with comments like that without actually having any proof, its idiots like you that have made this country pc mad - if indeed you are a uk resident, i dont know or actually care.

Anyway IN THIS THREAD i have actually stated that i think Nemeth should have been in the squad at the start of the season and that Rafa shouldnt have bought Ngog as it was a kick in the teeth for the hungarian - yes thats right hungarian, looks a great little player and but for injuries this year he would have probably been great again for the reserves.
The reason i havent said i think San Jose or Pacheco should be in the first team squad at this moment in time is because i dont think they should be, nothing to do with what country they are from.
Pacheco looks like he has bags of ability but his decision making isnt good enough at the moment and he doesnt appear physically able (yet)
San Jose looks half decent but we have Carra, Agger Skyrtl and Hyypia and only play 2 at a time so its unlikely that he will get a chance barring a catastrophe of injuries.

If you disagree about Spearing deserving a chance thats fine, if you think Lucas is better thats also your perogative but dont try and make out that this is some sort of race thing cos it wont wash.

I am saying it as i see it, simple as that.

By the way i can see why you have 4 cards if thats the way you act  :;):

ur the 1 who started it & like i care about the 4 cards

ur a wind up merchant ur the type of person 2 who pokes someone until they snap & then tell them 2 calm done

i commented on a bit of the opener 2 the thread about some of the quotes made by the professionals in the game about lack of chances it was my opinion & u told me 2 read like i had no right 2 say what i said just because itd already been discussed

if thats the case when the match is on today & if we score after the first person sayd gooooaaaaalll no1 should be allowed 2 type it again coz its already ben said

thats how stupid ur comment was 2 me when u started this

Yeah mate i am a WUM  :laugh:

I have been on here for a number of years now and dont get involved in petty arguments.
I quoted you as you replied to the first post i had made in the thread without checking what had been written since and you made an assumption.
I asked you to read what i had said after the first page just so you could actually see what my opinion was rather than assuming you knew what i meant based on one post.

I was actually enjoying the debate with GYBS, i dont agree with what he was saying but at least he sticks to his guns, offers an opinion and does it without petty insults.

You then for no reason tried to make out that i was racist, which was well out of order.

I genuinley dont care what your opinion is, i just felt i had to respond to your accusations.

And to me for someone who already has 4 cards in less than 6 months on here says more about you than me.

You are probably better ignored.[/quote]
Yet u felt the need 2 start one with me just because u didnt agree with what i said hmmm strange

but i wasnt having a go at what you said i was having a go at the quotes made by some of the people in ur post so why did you have 2 say anythin 2 me seem 2 me like you were the one assuming things

again i didnt even know u were having a debate witm whoever that is so whats that got 2 do with anythin

lol petty insults i told you lad were a wind up merchant i say whats on my mind doesnt make you any less petty them me just because you try to diguise what your doing

again wasnt making acusations on you but i guess thats what happens when peple assume thing

ohhh that hurt like i said i dont disguise my put downs

oh by the way Lucas was class again yesterday closed the play down great distribution & even showed his attacking play he seems 2 be coming into his own now fans arent boing him on & off the pitch

If Spearing had put in the last 2 displays that Lucas has most of you on here would be claiming him the new zidane on account that hes local
Rorschach26

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion