Squad rotation not helping - He needs a stable squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:05 am

Squad rotation is all good when your playing well and winning.

The question begs - Why is Rafa rotating the squad now?

At this point in the season we should be playing with a stable starting 11, the same week in week out until our performances merit a rest for some of the players. If we want the best out of our strikers and midfielders in front of goal, how are they going to gel and find any form of team spirit if the starting 11 is different every week?? :no

IMO Rafa is rotating the squad way too early. It looks like he is assuming that the signings he has made will perform regardless of who they play with.

We need:

Reina

Finnan     Carragher     Hyypia     Warnock

Garcia\Kewell    Gerrard     Alonso     Riise

Cisse     Morientes

You may argue that Morientes is crap at the moment but if we want him to produce the stuff he produced for Monaco we got to play him regularly.

Garcia or Kewell?? Thr problem with Garcia is that his form is all over the place, I favour Kewell if he can stay fit

I've had my rant now - just hope we can start playing like we know we can
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:11 am

Will someone explain this ROTATION shyte to me ?
TWO games a WEEK and they're tired , give us a break. If they love the game (which they should) if they love the club (which they better had) if they've any respect for the poor buggers paying their wages (which I doubt) then they should be up to play every day !!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:22 am

I think prior to the start of the season Rafa thought it woudl be a 'long' season, especially with the champions league qualifiers. But I was always under the impression that squad rotation is something you introduce when your first team can't handle the fixture list.

I can't see how he justifies this now? The year we won the treble we we're playing mid-week and weekend matches for 3/4 months and I think we thrived, the players we always sharp, hardly ever tired and finished 2nd with a points tally that would of won the league in other years.

He must see the need for stablility - if not someone has to tell him!
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:26 am

I agree John Bull.....football these days stinks of bluffers who lack passion.....I have loved the game since I was a kid and I never thought i'd see the day when the players and game would begin to bore me.

On a lighter note though since football these days is all about squad rotation why don't we go a bit further and rotate the manager.  Allow Rafa mastermind success in Europe and bring Liverpool old boy Paul Jewell in to take over for our premiership games.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Scott P » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:00 am

Have Liverpool started with the same side for two games running?
Scott P

Postby dum1 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:13 pm

The premiership is not won by new and different strategies or by rotating players, particularly if you are not Chelsea and by all means introduce new players but bring them in around a solid core of proven and tested players. Again I fear from the reaction of Raf after the game he was in shock and his plan had back-fired on him, and how could he blame his players when he had made the greatest blunder himself.

Trophies are won on the back of players that play as a team, consistent partnerships and combinations and players who have confidence in each other and who know how to play with each other.

I feel that Rafa needs to just start playing his best eleven and create some confidence and consistency before he starts his tactical rotations. I do not see a team out there, all I see is a collection of well meaning individual players, trying their best but not being able to play with each other.

Crouch, Morientes, Cisse and Kewell, who have now all appeared in one combination or another, but all look totally lost in each others company.  Alonso and Gerrard look as un-comfortable for Liverpool as Lampard and Gerrard do for England. Sissoko has not settled on a proper role yet and uses such a wide brush that his most effective contribution is the fact that he put's himself about, he needs more focus and discipline to play the Hamann role. Zenden and Riise are jockeying for the same job and somehow we need to extract the best out of both to make one complete player. Garcia remains our most potent enigma, so excitingly imaginative and creative but also so wasteful at times and der I say a latin temperament.

Rafa has a major task on making that lot gel and he needs to give them a chance and not constantly making wholesale changes.

The defence needs to be locked at Warnock, Big Sam, Carra and Finnan, while Rafa concentrates on developing his best combo's further forward. Crouch needs to become stronger in the challenge and hopefully he will win more ball in the air than he does at present. My guess is that presently it's less than 50% and he hasn't even developed the professional foul yet that convinces referees, it just looks so obvious when he does it (and perhaps Garcia could coach him). Unless he get stronger in one- on- ones then I think he's gonna fade away and perhaps Raf will explain some day whether he sees him as an out and out goalscorer or someone who is providing a service to others. I see more of the latter than the former and while I can't fault his commitment it aint good enough on its own.

I think there is more blame being laid at Rafa's door than the players so is he gonna be man enough to admit this and more importantly do something about it?
dum1

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:54 pm

I do agree that the rotation of the team at the moment isn't helping the situation as the players up front and in midfield are struggling to gel together but the argument has to also be made that if a player wants to keep his place in the team he needs to peform on the pitch during games and 90% of the squad just haven't been doing that; this then leaves Rafa with a difficult descision, does he persist with the players that are really underperforming and hope they will soon improve (fans and press reaction:WHY THE HELL DOESN'T HE CHANGE THE SIDE AROUND AND GIVE SOMEONE ELSE A CHANCE.) or does he do as he has been and rotate the squad trying to find a team that does perform well in the league (fans reaction - SEE MAJORITY OF THE POSTS ON THIS FORUM!). For me Rafa is rotating at the moment to try and find the players that he can consider his core and at the moment nobody (apart from Stevie G & Carra) is standing shoulder to shoulder with the manager and showing that they are fit to play for this club.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion