Squad size - Unable to compete with chelsea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby solo si » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:25 pm

Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:
solo si wrote:I feel at the moment that it is virtually impossible to compete with Chelsea from a footballing point of view nevermind a financial one. Chelsea could go out and buy nearly any player they wanted to, but to make life fairer for other teams, I think the FA or Uefa should cap the number of players in a squad. For example 22 players per club. If, Chelsea wanted to but another top quality player they would have to sell first, hence keeping the squad size to 22. Otherwise, they can purchase players that other clubs would be interested in and put them on the bench and how do we compete with that?

shall we just not bother with this season then, and go home instead?

Defeatest!

they can buy who they like, they still have to churn out the results week in week out to repeat last seasons league win

I don think we can compete on the " world class" level, beacause I thk that Rafa hasn;t bought the right players to win us the league. He's bought relatively unknowns, and ones for the future.

you wanna compete with the best , you have to buy the best.

Alfonso,

I am not being defeatist at all! I am talking about making it fair to compete in all the competitions. We were 37 points behind Chelsea last season. I don't want Liverpool FC to close the 37 point gap, I want us to win to the league. If, however, Chelsea want to add several world class players to their squad at any time, how can anyone compete nevermind LFC?
It's the team with the most money wins! That to me is not sport; it's a case of who's going to finish second all the time.
If, most of Chelseas players had come through the youth team well that's a completely different matter and good luck to them. I want LFC to win every game in every competition, but if we don't have the finances to buy the best players it's going to be a long time before we do win the league. Arsenal and UTD have the same problem as us. If, we limit the squad size then at least we may be able to purchase players that will be available instead of Chelsea buying them all and putting them on the bench. We all know that money can't buy you everything, but look where Chelsea are compared to two season ago and beyond.
solo si

Postby 109-1093441336 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:36 pm

solo si wrote:I think the FA or Uefa should cap the number of players in a squad. For example 22 players per club.

caps on wages and sqaud size is the way forward, pluys a couple of caps shot into Kenyons egg head, would make for great t.v.
109-1093441336

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:35 pm

solo si wrote:
Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:
solo si wrote:I feel at the moment that it is virtually impossible to compete with Chelsea from a footballing point of view nevermind a financial one. Chelsea could go out and buy nearly any player they wanted to, but to make life fairer for other teams, I think the FA or Uefa should cap the number of players in a squad. For example 22 players per club. If, Chelsea wanted to but another top quality player they would have to sell first, hence keeping the squad size to 22. Otherwise, they can purchase players that other clubs would be interested in and put them on the bench and how do we compete with that?

Defeatest!

they can buy who they like, they still have to churn out the results week in week out to repeat last seasons league win

I don think we can compete on the " world class" level, beacause I thk that Rafa hasn;t bought the right players to win us the league. He's bought relatively unknowns, and ones for the future.

Alfonso,

I am not being defeatist at all! I am talking about making it fair to compete in all the competitions. We were 37 points behind Chelsea last season. I don't want Liverpool FC to close the 37 point gap, I want us to win to the league. If, however, Chelsea want to add several world class players to their squad at any time, how can anyone compete nevermind LFC?
It's the team with the most money wins! That to me is not sport; it's a case of who's going to finish second all the time.
If, most of Chelseas players had come through the youth team well that's a completely different matter and good luck to them. I want LFC to win every game in every competition, but if we don't have the finances to buy the best players it's going to be a long time before we do win the league. Arsenal and UTD have the same problem as us. If, we limit the squad size then at least we may be able to purchase players that will be available instead of Chelsea buying them all and putting them on the bench. We all know that money can't buy you everything, but look where Chelsea are compared to two season ago and beyond.

real madrid bought all the genuine stars of the world game a few years ago like zidane and ronaldo and people were saying they would dominate for the next twenty years in spain.
but someone threw a spanner in the works - a certain mr benitez. he`s done it once he`ll do it again.
that 37 points is a false total, we played half the season with mellor and pongolle as strikers and xavi and stevie both had long term injuries. that little period around christmas when gerrard and alonso played together we tonked west brom away, beat arsenal at home in a stirring display, beat norwich away and were giving chelsea a footballing lesson at home until we were denied a blatant pen and xavi was carried off.
no matter how big their squad is they can only put eleven on the pitch and in gerrard, xavi and carragher we have players as good as anyone.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:41 pm

real madrid bought all the genuine stars of the world game a few years ago like zidane and ronaldo and people were saying they would dominate for the next twenty years in spain.
but someone threw a spanner in the works - a certain mr benitez. he`s done it once he`ll do it again.
that 37 points is a false total, we played half the season with mellor and pongolle as strikers and xavi and stevie both had long term injuries. that little period around christmas when gerrard and alonso played together we tonked west brom away, beat arsenal at home in a stirring display, beat norwich away and were giving chelsea a footballing lesson at home until we were denied a blatant pen and xavi was carried off.
no matter how big their squad is they can only put eleven on the pitch and in gerrard, xavi and carragher we have players as good as anyone.

Top post that.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby skipper » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:01 pm

Great post like A.B. said.

We had some horrific injuries last season.  Chelsea can only start 11 at a time no matter how many players they have.  Those 4 wingers will not be happy having to share time especially with the World Cup coming up next season.  That'll disrupt their team chemistry whereas our team chemistry can be superb if we dont suffer a bunch injuries.  our players (except baros but he'll be fine) dont complain about playing time and our team has better chemistry than chelsea.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:20 pm

Chelsea's arrogance and domination of the league last season has just made the rest of the league more determined to beat them!I think they'll loose a lot more than 1 game this season!Big squad or not they're in for a rough ride this year,especially when they face the mighty Pool!
66-1120597113

Postby H_K_LFC » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:35 pm

Liverpool hav an improved squad this season whereas chelsea,man utd,arsenal havent rly improved on thier squad.Chelsea prob dnt need 2 but arsenal hav weakned if anything and man utd r the same as last season..cnt c van der sar makin much of a difference.This season a jus dnt think chelseas r as big a threat as last.
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikopool » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:39 pm

iverpool hasn't really improved in regards to depth, new people have come in, but a few have left as well, regardless of how pivotal they are to a club. However Rafa beleives this is the team he needs to succeed, so hopefully depth will not be a factor.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby 65-1114725958 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:25 am

A.B. wrote:

Defeatest!

The last comment, is that applied to all competitions? I'm going to assume that it is so I'm going to get to my point.

If we need to buy the best in order to beat the best then how did we beat AC Milan,Juventus,Chelsea,and Leverkusen? I don't recall us spending 100 million pounds in order to win a competition.

Thus there's a great flaw in your statement.

When Wenger became the manager at Arsenal he brought the likes of Vieira,Henry,Pires,etc.. None of them were big names, I can assure you of that. Pires for instance was considered a poor signing because of his first season display.

How many times has Arsenal won the Premiership since they've bought those three that I mentioned? So you see they didn't need to buy "big names" in order to win the league, they bought good players and turned them into stars.

You assume that a player isn't good because he's not well known.

I'm not sure Xabi Alonso was a house hold name exactly but many [my self included] think that Alonso is the best passer of the ball in the Premiership.

One more thing

He's bought relatively unknowns

Those relatively unknowns[such as Garcia and Alonso] helped us win the Champions League. Had it not been for Garcia's five goals in the Champions League it would had been even harder for us to win the competition.

You know Im right AB so why argue? ???

So if we bought Alonso last season and Garcia, were you expecting us to win the champions league, say at about March 2005 time, 3/4 through the season? ???
Alonso was injured and people were slating Garcia big time.

Erm...NO!

If I remember correctly, I came onto this forum last season when a lot of fans in this forum were slating Garcia big time, until he scored that goal V Juve.

Well considering we beat all those teams in the champions league, then why did we lose to mediocre teams in the Premier league then on at least 10 occasions? smartass?
Did we lose to Southampton who got relagated?

We were massive underdogs, and were VERY LUCKY in a lot of respects to win the CL. It certainly wasn't down to quality that we won it. Because a lot of LFC fans will admit we are not the best team in Europe, by a long shot!
How many thought we were gonna win at 3-0  down? not even me i admit. cause Utd couldnt come back from 1-0 down on 2 occasions! Milan are far better than us! they will be in the CL semis or final next Season I reckon, but will we be?this is where the class shows.

All down to quality and strengh.

So why did chelsea buy the cream of the crop, ie; the Damien Duff's, the Scott parkers, the Robbens, the lampards, the drogba.s etc and spend over 100million pounds to do so?

Because it DOES buy you the league, which is what they've done! why do you think they were 30+ point clear in the league FFS ???? strenght and depth of the quality they had bought.

use your cakes will you all! and top living in a dream world.
3rd place max is what we is looking at. 4th if we sell baros.
65-1114725958

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:35 am

Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:So why did chelsea buy the cream of the crop, ie; the Scott parkers,  the drogba.s etc and spend over 100million pounds to do so?

:laugh:
Plank  !   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 65-1114725958 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:38 am

Yes you are!

your a brave boy, ill give you that
65-1114725958

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:42 am

Real Madrid have proved in Spain that spending big and having a massive squad isn't always a guarantee of success as 2 consecutive seasons without a trophy proves.

I personally don't see Chelsea losing just the one game this time around. Big squad or not they are not the all conquering team many of us make them out to be. For the record my tip this coming season WAS going to be Arsenal but without Viera I'm not so sure. Its not so much Chelsea's ability to domainate but more the lack of quality of the other teams up there with a realistic chance. Man Spews problems are well documented, Arsenal have lost key players in Viera and Edu which leaves Liverpool............... If and it's a big IF LFC can cure they away day problems then we stand as good a chance of finishing 2nd as any of the chasing teams but I fear that Chelsea with an already settled squad will be only the second team to win back to back Prem titles since it's formation .........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:52 am

All down to quality and strengh.

So why did chelsea buy the cream of the crop, ie; the Damien Duff's, the Scott parkers, the Robbens, the lampards, the drogba.s etc and spend over 100million pounds to do so?

Because it DOES buy you the league, which is what they've done! why do you think they were 30+ point clear in the league FFS ???? strenght and depth of the quality they had bought

Last time I recalled it didn't take Arsenal 100 million pounds to win the league and stay unbeaten for 49 games. It took quality players and a good manager to do so. Vieira,Henry,Pires,and the rest were bought by Wenger for cheap money and turned them into world class footballers.

Arsenal proved that you don't need money to win the league. You need a team that can work as a unit, you need a team with a lot of heart.

So if we bought Alonso last season and Garcia, were you expecting us to win the champions league, say at about March 2005 time, 3/4 through the season? ???
Alonso was injured and people were slating Garcia big time.

I had no doubts about is in the Champions League, it was clear that we were a different side in Europe.

Well considering we beat all those teams in the champions league, then why did we lose to mediocre teams in the Premier league then on at least 10 occasions? smartass?
Did we lose to Southampton who got relagated?

A lot of things come into account to why we lost

-injuries which battered our team
-Rafa's first season in the Premiership
-new players not adapting to the league because of injuries
-being too focused on other things, such as the Champions League, even the players admitted that their goal was to win the Champions League once they made it to the quarter finals.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:57 am

Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:Yes you are!

your a brave boy, ill give you that

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:
Am i supposed to feel threatend ?  :laugh:

Internet hardcase 
:D