Squad size

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Speating is a local lad, I'd be surprised if he let anyone down if he was given a chance, writing him off before you've even seen him play is a bit harsh.

He certainly didnt look out of place when he came on against Real
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Rorschach26 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:38 pm

heimdall wrote:So is wasting money a good thing then? 63 players!! WTF is the point in that when we still don't have an out and out right winger??

This is where Rafa does p1ss me off and I've said it before about him not promoting the young players enough, they can't all be garbage and if they are then we need new scouts.

yet ur 1 of the first 2 bitch when results arent going our way what do u think would happen if we promoted more youngsters into the first 16 numbnu.ts the article is very misleading i think Rafa looks at it from a pyscholoical point of view 4 what itd do 2 the confidence o f alot of the youngsters if they have a squad number with Liverpool Football Clubs itd give them an extra boost
Rorschach26

Postby Rorschach26 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Greavesie wrote:Speating is a local lad, I'd be surprised if he let anyone down if he was given a chance, writing him off before you've even seen him play is a bit harsh.

He certainly didnt look out of place when he came on against Real

is that aimed at me? i never wrote him off i think hell be an excellent player 4 us in the future & would love him 2 get into the first 11 in years 2 come

dont forget hes only had little spells on the pitch so hes been able 2 give it his all its different when u gotta last a whole 90 mins in a match
Rorschach26

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:06 pm

GYBS wrote:So who are these other midfield players that should of played instead of lucas then ?

Who are these other whole host of players ?

spearing is a much better player and didnt cost £6m
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Rorschach26 wrote:Lucas is better then Spearing

& i fail 2 see what im missing they r moaning about not gettin a chance so what thats life they aint good enough simple

Your opinion is based on what exactly ?

Probably the same as GYBS's - which is, because Rafa picks him he must be, simple as.

On the answer to your question from GYBS, if Gerrard was injured i would ALWAYS play Masherano and Alonso as they are a million miles better players.
But i wouldnt hesitate after seeing Lucas play so often for 18 months and struggle, bring in Spearing for a game to see how he goes.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:

& i fail 2 see what im missing they r moaning about not gettin a chance so what thats life they aint good enough simple

Probably the same as GYBS's - which is, because Rafa picks him he must be, simple as.

On the answer to your question from GYBS, if Gerrard was injured i would ALWAYS play Masherano and Alonso as they are a million miles better players.
But i wouldnt hesitate after seeing Lucas play so often for 18 months and struggle, bring in Spearing for a game to see how he goes.

exactly, spearing cant be any worse than lucas can he? seriously has got to be the one the worst players on our books at the moment and he gets about 20 games a season!  :kungfu:
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:13 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
GYBS wrote:So who are these other midfield players that should of played instead of lucas then ?

Finally !

Some normality, other than the Rafa sees them in training rubbish that keeps getting trotted out.

Proper little two footed footballer Spearing is, tough in the tackle and not a bad shot on him either.
He gets it and gives it simple and can play all over the pitch.

Far better footballer than what we have seem from Lucas.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

Finally !

Some normality, other than the Rafa sees them in training rubbish that keeps getting trotted out.

Proper little two footed footballer Spearing is, tough in the tackle and not a bad shot on him either.
He gets it and gives it simple and can play all over the pitch.

Far better footballer than what we have seem from Lucas.

did you watch any of the reserves games last season? Spearing and Lucas played together a few times, and EVERY single time Spearing was the better of the two, good little player he is. The only reason Lucas gets in ahead of him is because he cost £6m, and i dont think Rafa wants to write him off for a fraction of the cost, even though it is as clear as day that Lucas will never ever make a decent player
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

exactly, spearing cant be any worse than lucas can he? seriously has got to be the one the worst players on our books at the moment and he gets about 20 games a season!  :kungfu:

Be prepared for some debate with GYBS as we have been going about 4 pages now  :D

He hasnt any experience, has only done it for the ressies etc.
Rafa is offering him a new contract so clearly rates him etc etc etc.

Except if he did rate him he would have given him a game when Lucas was struggling and away at pompey when we were short of centre mids.

Well Heighway said he could have played for the first team about two years ago and knows his stuff.

By the way he is actually 20 now i think so hardly like 17-18 by now he should have had his league debut.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:19 pm

How do you know Spearing cant be worse than lucas ? i cant see lucas big crime here to be honest - yes he isnt world class nor is he as good as the 3 ahead of him but ffs there is nothing to base on the fact that speaing would be any better - when rafa bought him he was brazilain player of the year - was in the brazil squad - what was spearing ?

How can anyone here say spearing is a much better player - there hasnt been anything to judge that on or suggest it - lucas slotted in against madrid - any complaints about his performance there lads ? cause he didnt put a foot wrong - ffs the lad is still just 21/22 ? is raw has made a few errors and get crucified by fans cause he doesnt look spectacular .

Just because he is a local lad - means feck all - he has to have talent to go with that and so far any time i have seen hiim and that includes reserves he hasnt looked head and shoulders above anyone . Lucas when played for reserves has ran the show last season showing his ability to be above players like spearing who may in the future show more but at the moment no - lucas has played so very assured games lately yet people will ignore that .

And Ace you still havent said who these host of players are that are stopping these supposed future stars the opportuinty to shine ??

Simple statement - If they are good enough they will play .

players like gerrard,vcarra,fowler macca and owen showed they were good enough and showed they could make it before they hit the first team - at schoolboy level,england youth level - what has spearing shown ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:32 pm

GYBS wrote:How do you know Spearing cant be worse than lucas ? i cant see lucas big crime here to be honest - yes he isnt world class nor is he as good as the 3 ahead of him but ffs there is nothing to base on the fact that speaing would be any better - when rafa bought him he was brazilain player of the year - was in the brazil squad - what was spearing ?

How can anyone here say spearing is a much better player - there hasnt been anything to judge that on or suggest it - lucas slotted in against madrid - any complaints about his performance there lads ? cause he didnt put a foot wrong - ffs the lad is still just 21/22 ? is raw has made a few errors and get crucified by fans cause he doesnt look spectacular .

Just because he is a local lad - means feck all - he has to have talent to go with that and so far any time i have seen hiim and that includes reserves he hasnt looked head and shoulders above anyone . Lucas when played for reserves has ran the show last season showing his ability to be above players like spearing who may in the future show more but at the moment no - lucas has played so very assured games lately yet people will ignore that .

And Ace you still havent said who these host of players are that are stopping these supposed future stars the opportuinty to shine ??

players like gerrard,vcarra,fowler macca and owen showed they were good enough and showed they could make it before they hit the first team - at schoolboy level,england youth level - what has spearing shown ?

i personally thought that Spearing was better than Lucas in the reserves last year. Spearing is small but tough and can play a bit as well. Lucas is a complete pussy, he looks afraid to be on the pitch with grown men.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:32 pm

GYBS wrote:How do you know Spearing cant be worse than lucas ? i cant see lucas big crime here to be honest - yes he isnt world class nor is he as good as the 3 ahead of him but ffs there is nothing to base on the fact that speaing would be any better - when rafa bought him he was brazilain player of the year - was in the brazil squad - what was spearing ?

What i am basing it on is watching Lucas struggle for 18 months and get worse and worse.
If he plays ok the odd game some think he has turned a corner, thats compared with his previous form.
Still nowhere near good enough, hence the reason he was (wrongly) getting boo'd.

There is no way of me proving that Spearing would come in and play brilliantly - as he doesnt get the chance, so you can come back with that all you want.

The players that are inhibiting young players getting near the side or the bench is a harder one to point out as people will make the point that these are all squad players.
But when Pennant had been bombed totally out of the equation by Rafa he still played in the Carling cup, wasnt getting neat the league team so why not fook off some of these squad players that we feel the need to give the odd game here and there and see how the younger lads mix with some experienced players ?
Similaly with Degen coming in against Crewe at home in the Carling cup, well for starters he shouldnt have been signed, but after that when he cant even complete a reserve team match without breaking down with injuries perhaps we could have said to Steven Darby, go out and show us what you can do ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rorschach26 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:

no i go on my own opinion but if i was to go on some1s opinion itd be Rafas over urs any day of the week. Rafa would have Spearing ahead of Lucas if he was better he knows far more then u r i will ever know about these players

& again i dont c what im missin just coz i only choose 2 comment on something that wasnt the main talking point in the thread doesnt mean im missin something i read all the article & i decided 2 comment on the bit that annoyed me

it was a very boring  read i dont know why i did it probally coz i was listening  2 Elbow Switching off at the time & i  wasnt to arsed about wastin my time
Rorschach26

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Rorschach26 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

no i go on my own opinion but if i was to go on some1s opinion itd be Rafas over urs any day of the week. Rafa would have Spearing ahead of Lucas if he was better he knows far more then u r i will ever know about these players

& again i dont c what im missin just coz i only choose 2 comment on something that wasnt the main talking point in the thread doesnt mean im missin something i read all the article & i decided 2 comment on the bit that annoyed me

it was a very boring  read i dont know why i did it probally coz i was listening  2 Elbow Switching off at the time & i  wasnt to arsed about wastin my time

To answer what you were missing is if you read the last post of the thread you have no idea how it has taken shape and if your complaints (or whatever bothered you) had already been answered.

So in a nutshell, its not that i think young players should just be thrown in on a whim, nor do i think that they have a devine right to be in the team, the squad or even football in general.

What bothers me is i belive in football (not just at LFC), young players are not given any hope of establishing themselves and thats because managers would rather go out and sign loads of squad players that often are not that good anyway.

Anyone who thinks that is not the case imo is deluding themselves. The other matter about Rafa selecting Lucas ahead of Spearing as 'he is obviously a better player' well that has been going on for decades mate, manager signs player for large sum of money. player doesnt perform but still gets selected.

As its easy for someone to come back and say whats the other option ? Play kids who have no experience etc ?

Well to me that should be an option (sometimes, not always).

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:19 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:

spearing is much better then lucas?? what you on mate
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion