Squad size

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DanAn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:15 am

GYBS wrote:And Ace you still havent said who these host of players are that are stopping these supposed future stars the opportuinty to shine ??

Simple statement - If they are good enough they will play .

players like gerrard,vcarra,fowler macca and owen showed they were good enough and showed they could make it before they hit the first team - at schoolboy level,england youth level - what has spearing shown ?

That's the thing you don't know until they are getting an opportunity. Many didn't think Insua was as close to stepping up as he was and look at what he did with a bit of opportunity.

I think Darby, Nameth, Pacheco, Hammil, Anderson, Galsico (sp?) could all do a job on the bench for us if we sold some of our depth players and improved the quality of first team players.
DanAn

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Its not even clear whether or not Peter Gulacsi is the best young keeper we currently have. Nemeth Pacheco Hammill and Anderson are all a bit away from being dependable bench players and taking the seat away from Yossi and Babel, and Babel isn't even having a good season.

Lucas looked great in the reserves last year whenever he played there, especially in the national final.

Managers cannot afford to to play more expensive players over cheaper ones if they are not better, that is why keane was dropped and sold. Once you buy a player, that is a sunk cost, and should not affect in anyway the team selection.  Managers are judged based on the results on the pitch not if they are good at buying talent.  Certainly they go hand in hand to an extent, but it would be mad to sacrifice results in order to try and prove that you were good at buying players..
JoeTerp

Postby Rorschach26 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:Lucas is better then Spearing

& i fail 2 see what im missing they r moaning about not gettin a chance so what thats life they aint good enough simple

Your opinion is based on what exactly ?

Probably the same as GYBS's - which is, because Rafa picks him he must be, simple as.

On the answer to your question from GYBS, if Gerrard was injured i would ALWAYS play Masherano and Alonso as they are a million miles better players.
But i wouldnt hesitate after seeing Lucas play so often for 18 months and struggle, bring in Spearing for a game to see how he goes.

no i go on my own opinion but if i was to go on some1s opinion itd be Rafas over urs any day of the week. Rafa would have Spearing ahead of Lucas if he was better he knows far more then u r i will ever know about these players

& again i dont c what im missin just coz i only choose 2 comment on something that wasnt the main talking point in the thread doesnt mean im missin something i read all the article & i decided 2 comment on the bit that annoyed me

it was a very boring  read i dont know why i did it probally coz i was listening  2 Elbow Switching off at the time & i  wasnt to arsed about wastin my time

To answer what you were missing is if you read the last post of the thread you have no idea how it has taken shape and if your complaints (or whatever bothered you) had already been answered.

So in a nutshell, its not that i think young players should just be thrown in on a whim, nor do i think that they have a devine right to be in the team, the squad or even football in general.

What bothers me is i belive in football (not just at LFC), young players are not given any hope of establishing themselves and thats because managers would rather go out and sign loads of squad players that often are not that good anyway.

Anyone who thinks that is not the case imo is deluding themselves. The other matter about Rafa selecting Lucas ahead of Spearing as 'he is obviously a better player' well that has been going on for decades mate, manager signs player for large sum of money. player doesnt perform but still gets selected.

As its easy for someone to come back and say whats the other option ? Play kids who have no experience etc ?

Well to me that should be an option (sometimes, not always).

so what if theyve already been answered i aint interested in continuing the flow of the thread i commented on something i didnt like u bookworm who r u 2 say how things should be done on here u powermad bellend

why r they givin no hope? the good ones will always make it through u say u care about football so wouldnt the standard slip if more of te locals who clearly cant even hack it in league 1 were in the first 11 & that goes 4 all the teams in the prem if they dont make it they can get a job like the rest of us simple

& u u persume these local kids comin through would do any better lets face it ur right wing coz all u lot who whine about never mention giving the likes of Pacheco or san jose its always the spearings darbys guthries & potters in the past aka the english lads

when lucas started in the reserves with spearing u could c he was the better player every1s spunking over a combined 30 minuts performance by spearing forgetting everytime hes come on the teams been crusing & the opposition players r deflated

Do u honestly think if Spearing was better then Lucas Rafa wouldnt have him ahead of him its insulting 2 one of the best managers in the world
Rorschach26

Postby Rorschach26 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:54 pm

RedBlood wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:
GYBS wrote:So who are these other midfield players that should of played instead of lucas then ?

Who are these other whole host of players ?

spearing is a much better player and didnt cost £6m

spearing is much better then lucas?? what you on mate

yeh but ur forgettin man

Spearings not a foriegner
Rorschach26

Postby heimdall » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Rorschach26 wrote:
heimdall wrote:So is wasting money a good thing then? 63 players!! WTF is the point in that when we still don't have an out and out right winger??

This is where Rafa does p1ss me off and I've said it before about him not promoting the young players enough, they can't all be garbage and if they are then we need new scouts.

yet ur 1 of the first 2 bitch when results arent going our way what do u think would happen if we promoted more youngsters into the first 16 numbnu.ts the article is very misleading i think Rafa looks at it from a pyscholoical point of view 4 what itd do 2 the confidence o f alot of the youngsters if they have a squad number with Liverpool Football Clubs itd give them an extra boost

Either buy a dictionary or a spell checker because reading your posts is to much hard work or is it just that it's complete drivel.
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Rorschach26 wrote:
RedBlood wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:
GYBS wrote:So who are these other midfield players that should of played instead of lucas then ?

yeh but ur forgettin man

So according to you guys Spearing is complete sh1t then, or at least not quite the powerhouse midfield dynamo that Lucas is. Seriously sometimes I despair at the footballing ignorance of you guys. GYBS you are like a broken record just repeating the same thing over and over and over, so tedious and predictable. You can't just say well if he was better he would play, the little I've seen of Spearing he convinced me a hell of a lot more than Lucas ever has. The question is why hasn't Spearing been given more opportunities, the answer he is either cr@p which I don't believe or for some weird reason Rafa rates a terrified blundering no presence midfielder over him.
heimdall

Postby Rorschach26 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:02 am

heimdall wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:
heimdall wrote:So is wasting money a good thing then? 63 players!! WTF is the point in that when we still don't have an out and out right winger??

This is where Rafa does p1ss me off and I've said it before about him not promoting the young players enough, they can't all be garbage and if they are then we need new scouts.

yet ur 1 of the first 2 bitch when results arent going our way what do u think would happen if we promoted more youngsters into the first 16 numbnu.ts the article is very misleading i think Rafa looks at it from a pyscholoical point of view 4 what itd do 2 the confidence o f alot of the youngsters if they have a squad number with Liverpool Football Clubs itd give them an extra boost

Either buy a dictionary or a spell checker because reading your posts is to much hard work or is it just that it's complete drivel.

soz grampa
Rorschach26

Postby Rorschach26 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:07 am

heimdall wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:
RedBlood wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

yeh but ur forgettin man

So according to you guys Spearing is complete sh1t then, or at least not quite the powerhouse midfield dynamo that Lucas is. Seriously sometimes I despair at the footballing ignorance of you guys. GYBS you are like a broken record just repeating the same thing over and over and over, so tedious and predictable. You can't just say well if he was better he would play, the little I've seen of Spearing he convinced me a hell of a lot more than Lucas ever has. The question is why hasn't Spearing been given more opportunities, the answer he is either cr@p which I don't believe or for some weird reason Rafa rates a terrified blundering no presence midfielder over him.

Never said he was shi.t & youve just said it there u tw.at the LITTLE ive seen of Spearing

Its easier 2 come on 4 a 30-15 minute cameo against a side that is 4 or 3-0 down & have effectively given up then it is 2 start & play 90 mins

remember how much everyone was sp.unking over Lucas when he would come on 4 cameos at the start of his carer he did far more then Spearing has

I think there both good players & believe they could be are midfield 4 the future if given time just at this moment i think Lucas has the edge & Rafa seems 2 agree with me
Rorschach26

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:11 am

Rorschach26 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

& i fail 2 see what im missing they r moaning about not gettin a chance so what thats life they aint good enough simple

Probably the same as GYBS's - which is, because Rafa picks him he must be, simple as.

On the answer to your question from GYBS, if Gerrard was injured i would ALWAYS play Masherano and Alonso as they are a million miles better players.
But i wouldnt hesitate after seeing Lucas play so often for 18 months and struggle, bring in Spearing for a game to see how he goes.

no i go on my own opinion but if i was to go on some1s opinion itd be Rafas over urs any day of the week. Rafa would have Spearing ahead of Lucas if he was better he knows far more then u r i will ever know about these players

& again i dont c what im missin just coz i only choose 2 comment on something that wasnt the main talking point in the thread doesnt mean im missin something i read all the article & i decided 2 comment on the bit that annoyed me

it was a very boring  read i dont know why i did it probally coz i was listening  2 Elbow Switching off at the time & i  wasnt to arsed about wastin my time

To answer what you were missing is if you read the last post of the thread you have no idea how it has taken shape and if your complaints (or whatever bothered you) had already been answered.

So in a nutshell, its not that i think young players should just be thrown in on a whim, nor do i think that they have a devine right to be in the team, the squad or even football in general.

What bothers me is i belive in football (not just at LFC), young players are not given any hope of establishing themselves and thats because managers would rather go out and sign loads of squad players that often are not that good anyway.

Anyone who thinks that is not the case imo is deluding themselves. The other matter about Rafa selecting Lucas ahead of Spearing as 'he is obviously a better player' well that has been going on for decades mate, manager signs player for large sum of money. player doesnt perform but still gets selected.

As its easy for someone to come back and say whats the other option ? Play kids who have no experience etc ?

so what if theyve already been answered i aint interested in continuing the flow of the thread i commented on something i didnt like u bookworm who r u 2 say how things should be done on here u powermad bellend

why r they givin no hope? the good ones will always make it through u say u care about football so wouldnt the standard slip if more of te locals who clearly cant even hack it in league 1 were in the first 11 & that goes 4 all the teams in the prem if they dont make it they can get a job like the rest of us simple

& u u persume these local kids comin through would do any better lets face it ur right wing coz all u lot who whine about never mention giving the likes of Pacheco or san jose its always the spearings darbys guthries & potters in the past aka the english lads

when lucas started in the reserves with spearing u could c he was the better player every1s spunking over a combined 30 minuts performance by spearing forgetting everytime hes come on the teams been crusing & the opposition players r deflated

Do u honestly think if Spearing was better then Lucas Rafa wouldnt have him ahead of him its insulting 2 one of the best managers in the world

Bellend  :laugh:

Its good to see you can debate without resorting to insults.

I havent insulted you at all but there you go, i dont really let things wind me up on the internet and i can accept people have a different opinion than mine.

Now what i said about you only taking the last part of my post and then having no clue about what we had been talking about has clearly been proved here with your response calling me right wing.

By the way you are well out of order coming out with comments like that without actually having any proof, its idiots like you that have made this country pc mad - if indeed you are a uk resident, i dont know or actually care.

Anyway IN THIS THREAD i have actually stated that i think Nemeth should have been in the squad at the start of the season and that Rafa shouldnt have bought Ngog as it was a kick in the teeth for the hungarian - yes thats right hungarian, looks a great little player and but for injuries this year he would have probably been great again for the reserves.
The reason i havent said i think San Jose or Pacheco should be in the first team squad at this moment in time is because i dont think they should be, nothing to do with what country they are from.
Pacheco looks like he has bags of ability but his decision making isnt good enough at the moment and he doesnt appear physically able (yet)
San Jose looks half decent but we have Carra, Agger Skyrtl and Hyypia and only play 2 at a time so its unlikely that he will get a chance barring a catastrophe of injuries.

If you disagree about Spearing deserving a chance thats fine, if you think Lucas is better thats also your perogative but dont try and make out that this is some sort of race thing cos it wont wash.

I am saying it as i see it, simple as that.

By the way i can see why you have 4 cards if thats the way you act  :;):

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:15 am

RedBlood wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

Maybe these people have seen more of Spearing than they have of Lucas to make more informed statements, but I doubt it. He's come on a few times in a "game over" situation and done little wrong. I saw nothing to suggest he was brilliant, nothing to suggest he was poor.

Problem is some people tag players like Lucas, to such an extent they convince themselves it's undeniable fact that "Lucas is shit" is written in the big book of facts. Maybe it's simply that Spearing did little wrong in his 1st team appearances, and let's not beat about the bush that those are the games that count the most. SO maybe it's a totting up of mistakes, poor passes etc and even though Lucas has played better at times, he makes mistakes.

Spearing's 1st Team Apps

vs PSV (W3-1) : Came on for about 15 mins when it was 2-1 and the team was coasting to a third. Ironically this was one of Lucas' better games, against a poor PSV. Babel equalised just before half time from Lucas' free-kick, Lucas played well in midfield. Spearing came on, did nothing much wrong

vs Real Madrid (W4-0) : Came on for about 15 mins again when it was 3-0, did nothing spectacular

So are people seriously basing "Spearing is much better than Lucas" on about HALF AN HOUR's 1st team football this season?!?!? Both games he came on when we were winning, or perhaps people are basing it on Spearing's reserve team performances and comparing them with Lucas' 1st team performances - I seriously doubt that many people watch (enough) reserve team games, not that it would be the best comparison to be making anyway.

That's not to say Spearing isn't better than Lucas, just that it would be near impossible to compare when one has played a lot of 1st team football this season against the other who's played about half an hour - in favourable situations to boot. Give Spearing a few 90 mins and I bet people might not change their minds about Lucas, but I bet they might have second thoughts about Spearing making the step up
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rorschach26 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:55 am

Owzat wrote:
RedBlood wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

Maybe these people have seen more of Spearing than they have of Lucas to make more informed statements, but I doubt it. He's come on a few times in a "game over" situation and done little wrong. I saw nothing to suggest he was brilliant, nothing to suggest he was poor.

Problem is some people tag players like Lucas, to such an extent they convince themselves it's undeniable fact that "Lucas is shit" is written in the big book of facts. Maybe it's simply that Spearing did little wrong in his 1st team appearances, and let's not beat about the bush that those are the games that count the most. SO maybe it's a totting up of mistakes, poor passes etc and even though Lucas has played better at times, he makes mistakes.

Spearing's 1st Team Apps

vs PSV (W3-1) : Came on for about 15 mins when it was 2-1 and the team was coasting to a third. Ironically this was one of Lucas' better games, against a poor PSV. Babel equalised just before half time from Lucas' free-kick, Lucas played well in midfield. Spearing came on, did nothing much wrong

vs Real Madrid (W4-0) : Came on for about 15 mins again when it was 3-0, did nothing spectacular

So are people seriously basing "Spearing is much better than Lucas" on about HALF AN HOUR's 1st team football this season?!?!? Both games he came on when we were winning, or perhaps people are basing it on Spearing's reserve team performances and comparing them with Lucas' 1st team performances - I seriously doubt that many people watch (enough) reserve team games, not that it would be the best comparison to be making anyway.

That's not to say Spearing isn't better than Lucas, just that it would be near impossible to compare when one has played a lot of 1st team football this season against the other who's played about half an hour - in favourable situations to boot. Give Spearing a few 90 mins and I bet people might not change their minds about Lucas, but I bet they might have second thoughts about Spearing making the step up

exactly 4 once we agree
Rorschach26

Postby Rorschach26 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:01 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Bellend  :laugh:

I havent insulted you at all but there you go, i dont really let things wind me up on the internet and i can accept people have a different opinion than mine.

Now what i said about you only taking the last part of my post and then having no clue about what we had been talking about has clearly been proved here with your response calling me right wing.

By the way you are well out of order coming out with comments like that without actually having any proof, its idiots like you that have made this country pc mad - if indeed you are a uk resident, i dont know or actually care.

Anyway IN THIS THREAD i have actually stated that i think Nemeth should have been in the squad at the start of the season and that Rafa shouldnt have bought Ngog as it was a kick in the teeth for the hungarian - yes thats right hungarian, looks a great little player and but for injuries this year he would have probably been great again for the reserves.
The reason i havent said i think San Jose or Pacheco should be in the first team squad at this moment in time is because i dont think they should be, nothing to do with what country they are from.
Pacheco looks like he has bags of ability but his decision making isnt good enough at the moment and he doesnt appear physically able (yet)
San Jose looks half decent but we have Carra, Agger Skyrtl and Hyypia and only play 2 at a time so its unlikely that he will get a chance barring a catastrophe of injuries.

If you disagree about Spearing deserving a chance thats fine, if you think Lucas is better thats also your perogative but dont try and make out that this is some sort of race thing cos it wont wash.

ur the 1 who started it & like i care about the 4 cards

ur a wind up merchant ur the type of person 2 who pokes someone until they snap & then tell them 2 calm done

i commented on a bit of the opener 2 the thread about some of the quotes made by the professionals in the game about lack of chances it was my opinion & u told me 2 read like i had no right 2 say what i said just because itd already been discussed

if thats the case when the match is on today & if we score after the first person sayd gooooaaaaalll no1 should be allowed 2 type it again coz its already ben said

thats how stupid ur comment was 2 me when u started this
Rorschach26

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:25 am

Rorschach26 wrote:Bellend  :laugh:

ur the 1 who started it & like i care about the 4 cards

ur a wind up merchant ur the type of person 2 who pokes someone until they snap & then tell them 2 calm done

i commented on a bit of the opener 2 the thread about some of the quotes made by the professionals in the game about lack of chances it was my opinion & u told me 2 read like i had no right 2 say what i said just because itd already been discussed

if thats the case when the match is on today & if we score after the first person sayd gooooaaaaalll no1 should be allowed 2 type it again coz its already ben said

thats how stupid ur comment was 2 me when u started this[/quote]
Yeah mate i am a WUM  :laugh:

I have been on here for a number of years now and dont get involved in petty arguments.
I quoted you as you replied to the first post i had made in the thread without checking what had been written since and you made an assumption.
I asked you to read what i had said after the first page just so you could actually see what my opinion was rather than assuming you knew what i meant based on one post.

I was actually enjoying the debate with GYBS, i dont agree with what he was saying but at least he sticks to his guns, offers an opinion and does it without petty insults.

You then for no reason tried to make out that i was racist, which was well out of order.

I genuinley dont care what your opinion is, i just felt i had to respond to your accusations.

And to me for someone who already has 4 cards in less than 6 months on here says more about you than me.

You are probably better ignored.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:43 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

Finally !

Some normality, other than the Rafa sees them in training rubbish that keeps getting trotted out.

Proper little two footed footballer Spearing is, tough in the tackle and not a bad shot on him either.
He gets it and gives it simple and can play all over the pitch.

Far better footballer than what we have seem from Lucas.

I agree Ace, Spearing from the little I have seen looks better than the 'lot' I have seen Lucas play.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:51 am

GYBS wrote:How do you know Spearing cant be worse than lucas ? i cant see lucas big crime here to be honest - yes he isnt world class nor is he as good as the 3 ahead of him but ffs there is nothing to base on the fact that speaing would be any better - when rafa bought him he was brazilain player of the year - was in the brazil squad - what was spearing ?

How can anyone here say spearing is a much better player - there hasnt been anything to judge that on or suggest it - lucas slotted in against madrid - any complaints about his performance there lads ? cause he didnt put a foot wrong - ffs the lad is still just 21/22 ? is raw has made a few errors and get crucified by fans cause he doesnt look spectacular .

Just because he is a local lad - means feck all - he has to have talent to go with that and so far any time i have seen hiim and that includes reserves he hasnt looked head and shoulders above anyone . Lucas when played for reserves has ran the show last season showing his ability to be above players like spearing who may in the future show more but at the moment no - lucas has played so very assured games lately yet people will ignore that .

And Ace you still havent said who these host of players are that are stopping these supposed future stars the opportuinty to shine ??

Simple statement - If they are good enough they will play .

players like gerrard,vcarra,fowler macca and owen showed they were good enough and showed they could make it before they hit the first team - at schoolboy level,england youth level - what has spearing shown ?

Of course there is, your own judgement deh !

What is your 'basis' that Gerrard is better than Lampard or Lampard better than Gerrard ?

Please don't answer that question with medals won or something as ridiculous as that or because the media says so, so it must be true.

What is your Basis ?

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion