Squad size - Unable to compete with chelsea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby solo si » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:22 pm

I feel at the moment that it is virtually impossible to compete with Chelsea from a footballing point of view nevermind a financial one. Chelsea could go out and buy nearly any player they wanted to, but to make life fairer for other teams, I think the FA or Uefa should cap the number of players in a squad. For example 22 players per club. If, Chelsea wanted to but another top quality player they would have to sell first, hence keeping the squad size to 22. Otherwise, they can purchase players that other clubs would be interested in and put them on the bench and how do we compete with that?
solo si

Postby skipper » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:33 pm

They can only start 11 at a time.  They are just doing this to drain talent from the talent pool.  But one day they'll be in trouble.  Over-reliance on money leads to no good.

They have 4 quality wingers and I have a feeling that not all of them are happy at the moment.  Capping the number of players will lead to chelsea fans complaining and saying the rule is targeted at them.  But you are right, something needs to be done or else chelsea will buy everyone and outbid all other teams for players.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:35 pm

we use every member of our squad FULLY and in the RIGHT way. rafa will utilise the whole squad in HIS eyes. however short on quantity/quality you feel it is compared to mourinho's.

have faith and believe

we ARE going to be english champions again...IMMINENTLY!

:cool:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:44 pm

wright-phillips, robben, duff, cole.
i can't see any of these players settle for a rotation system.
2 of these 4 players will leave due to frustration of lack of first-team football!
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:24 pm

I think the squad size should be limited to about 18 players that have been bought in, and after that you can use as many home grown players as you want.

That means that despite the amount of injuries the side has (picture us last season if the squad had been limited to 22 players), you will always be able to field a team (comprising several youth/reserve players).  And it stops teams like chelsea buying endless amounts of players
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:02 pm

Who can match Chelsea's squad size? Nobody at the moment however like somebody here said, they can only field 11 players at the time. Even with their squad they still couldn't win the Cl.  :D
Last edited by A.B. on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby mighty mo » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:17 pm

i can,t wait for the day when abramovich gets bored of his expensive toy in london,then sanity can be brought back to english football.
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:58 pm

Chelsea hav 2 many players now.They wnt be able 2 keep evry1 happy.And jose mourinho doesnt rly change his team about a lot so sum players will be leaving
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:34 pm

Anyone here Mourinho calling are Rafa Strange for saying he would rest Gerrard, and went on to say "i wonder if he will rest him for LFC v Wigan or Chelsea v LFC" Why does this pr!ck have to have an opinion on every fuc*kin thing and go shouting his mouth off about it. When have u ever heard Rafa do an interview about a player or article which has nothing to do with Liverpool, to me it seems like Jose is still beating himself up about who really is the special one and which team are champions of europe.....or is it that blues just cant help being bitter! All i say on Chelsea is let them have there success, after all they have waited 50 years for a major trophy and it will soon be over
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby PinkPantha » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:53 am

Garymac wrote:Anyone here Mourinho calling are Rafa Strange for saying he would rest Gerrard, and went on to say "i wonder if he will rest him for LFC v Wigan or Chelsea v LFC" Why does this pr!ck have to have an opinion on every fuc*kin thing and go shouting his mouth off about it. When have u ever heard Rafa do an interview about a player or article which has nothing to do with Liverpool, to me it seems like Jose is still beating himself up about who really is the special one and which team are champions of europe.....or is it that blues just cant help being bitter! All i say on Chelsea is let them have there success, after all they have waited 50 years for a major trophy and it will soon be over

:censored: Mourinho :angry:
PinkPantha

Postby 65-1114725958 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:58 am

solo si wrote:I feel at the moment that it is virtually impossible to compete with Chelsea from a footballing point of view nevermind a financial one. Chelsea could go out and buy nearly any player they wanted to, but to make life fairer for other teams, I think the FA or Uefa should cap the number of players in a squad. For example 22 players per club. If, Chelsea wanted to but another top quality player they would have to sell first, hence keeping the squad size to 22. Otherwise, they can purchase players that other clubs would be interested in and put them on the bench and how do we compete with that?

shall we just not bother with this season then, and go home instead?

Defeatest!

they can buy who they like, they still have to churn out the results week in week out to repeat last seasons league win

I don think we can compete on the " world class" level, beacause I thk that Rafa hasn;t bought the right players to win us the league. He's bought relatively unknowns, and ones for the future.

you wanna compete with the best , you have to buy the best.
65-1114725958

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:07 am

Alfonso Alonso 1 wrote:I don think we can compete on the " world class" level, beacause I thk that Rafa hasn;t bought the right players to win us the league. He's bought relatively unknowns, and ones for the future.

If anyone's a defeatest its you FFS.

Just because YOU haven't heard of the players Rafa's bought doesn't mean they're not good enough.

Buying established 'big name' players has never been the Liverpool way
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:58 am

shall we just not bother with this season then, and go home instead?

Defeatest!

they can buy who they like, they still have to churn out the results week in week out to repeat last seasons league win

I don think we can compete on the " world class" level, beacause I thk that Rafa hasn;t bought the right players to win us the league. He's bought relatively unknowns, and ones for the future.

The last comment, is that applied to all competitions? I'm going to assume that it is so I'm going to get to my point.

If we need to buy the best in order to beat the best then how did we beat AC Milan,Juventus,Chelsea,and Leverkusen? I don't recall us spending 100 million pounds in order to win a competition.

Thus there's a great flaw in your statement.

When Wenger became the manager at Arsenal he brought the likes of Vieira,Henry,Pires,etc.. None of them were big names, I can assure you of that. Pires for instance was considered a poor signing because of his first season display.

How many times has Arsenal won the Premiership since they've bought those three that I mentioned? So you see they didn't need to buy "big names" in order to win the league, they bought good players and turned them into stars.

You assume that a player isn't good because he's not well known.

I'm not sure Xabi Alonso was a house hold name exactly but many [my self included] think that Alonso is the best passer of the ball in the Premiership.

One more thing

He's bought relatively unknowns

Those relatively unknowns[such as Garcia and Alonso] helped us win the Champions League. Had it not been for Garcia's five goals in the Champions League it would had been even harder for us to win the competition.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:50 am

Xabi Alonso and Garcia were hardly unknown though AB, maybe in the UK, but they were well established in Spain.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:25 am

Who cares about chelsea ? I can't wait for next season .... beat Chelsea and they will fall like a rain.  :angry:
LiverpoolMadman

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion