Can we win the League title with our current squad - Yes or No?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Can we win the premier league title with our curre - Yes or no?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 84

Postby Thewaykokid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:22 am

Benitez not looking to buy

7 January 2009 | 13:53 - PA Sport

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez believes he can win the Premier League title with the players he has got.

It has become clear that the Anfield chief is highly unlikely to delve into the transfer market this month, with very little prospect of any of his first-team squad stars leaving the club.

There is a very obvious desire at the club not to rock the boat at any level with Liverpool top of the table and aiming for their first title in 19 years.

Sources at the club confirm that Benitez has made no move to re-sign Emile Heskey, despite constant speculation that the England international was on his way back to Merseyside.

And Liverpool have Fernando Torres, Martin Skrtel, Fabio Aurelio and Alvaro Arbeloa all back from injury to boost the side in the final 18 league games of the season.

Benitez said: "We finished 2008 very well, we played with style and have scored a lot of goals. I am very pleased and happy with the situation and hope it will be the same in the new year.

"We have other players apart from Torres coming back from injury. There is Skrtel, Aurelio and Arbeloa all fit now. It will be like signing three new players.

"We do not need to go into the transfer market, we are certainly not desperate to do so.

"If we find we need something we will try, but it is always hard in this window and very expensive.

"But we are in a good position and I am happy to use the players we have now plus the ones returning from injury."

The only departure is likely to be out-of-favour Jermaine Pennant, whose contract expires at the end of the season. And if a deal cannot be secured, Benitez will send the winger out on loan.

Benitez will rebuff any attempts by AC Milan to sign defender Daniel Agger, while Andreas Dossena, who would have been a possible departure, is now needed as back-up for Aurelio at left-back.

That is because Liverpool will lose impressive Argentinian youngster Emiliano Insua until February 8 due to the South American Under-20 Championships.

Insua has made a big impact in recent weeks, and the international call-up could not have come at a worse time for him.

He has recently broken into Benitez's first team and done well in four successive matches. But his enforced international departure has been offset by the return from injury of Aurelio.

One player, 17-year-old striker Marvin Pourie, is leaving the club in a £50,000 ($A103,116) switch to Schalke. Pourie joined Liverpool's academy 18 months ago from Borussia Dortmund but has not made the breakthrough expected.

With things going well on the pitch, the club's controversial American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have opted for a low profile to maintain the club's concentration on their title bid.

The widely-touted six-month extension to their £350million ($A721.81million) of loans has also been confirmed.

That move was always expected, with the club more than capable of meeting the interest payments. And the last thing Liverpool need now, after their experiences of last season, is a high-profile battle for control of the club.

The Americans will have to repay the £350million or sell up in the northern summer, and by then they hope for an easing of the credit crunch which will encourage potential buyers.

If Liverpool are champions, that will further help their cause.

UEFA Champions League qualification for next season should also by then have been assured. With a 10-point lead over fifth-placed Arsenal at present, it is a decent bet that Liverpool will finish in the top four again, and maintain the flow of UEFA cash into the Anfield coffers.

The date of Liverpool's FA Cup fourth-round home tie with Everton has been set for Sunday, January 24 with the league visit to Wigan the following week moved from Tuesday to Wednesday, January 28.

-----------------------

After reading this article i wanted to know everyones opinion on our current squad, do we belive we have the credentials to win with what we got? If not, what do we need, another striker? Right winger? etc. Also, if you can, make references to players you would like to see signed and how would you have them played in the team.

Personally, with everyone fit, i believe our squad has enough depth and quality to win this year. Only person i might sign would be Owen as a possible substitute forward in case Torres or Keane is injured.

Your thoughts people??
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby Thewaykokid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:25 am

it appears i have F@rked the title, its meant to say "can we win the premier league with our current squad?"
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby GYBS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:27 am

yes we can win
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:19 am

Thewaykokid wrote:it appears i have F@rked the title, its meant to say "can we win the premier league with our current squad?"

Should have reduced "premier league title" to "league", I think we'd all get which league.

Anyway, I don't see how the question that has been posed in various forms over the past weeks/months has changed any. We were all basing our title speculation on the current squad, I don't believe (m)any were basing it on us signing Villa, Barry, Simao, Heskey, Glen Johnson etc in January.

Funnily enough I was just going to that story link to post the story, just as well I checked this thread first. Someone else may still post it as a separate story.

Can we win the league? Of course we can, match Man Utd and Chelsea's results/points until the end of the season and we're top. 'Can' isn't really the issue, at the start of a season anyone 'can' win the league if they play well enough over 38 games

Will we win the league? Hard to say right now, the mancs are two games in hand to catch up to within a point and we have to play them away*. I believe Arsenal were top this time last year, the serious title contenders remain in it until the latter quarter of the season and we're not there yet. If we're still there with 8-10 games to go then I'd say we're as good, or near enough, as anyone else in the league and have a chance.

*I've said this plenty of times, the reason being it could prove to be extremely important. That game away could be pivotal to the title race.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:27 am

If we can sustain the form we had in the last half of last season and our form to date in the first half of this we will AT LEAST be right up there at the end if not clear victors.
Unless its going to be a quality addition and I mean someone damn good(not another squad player) I really dont see the point.
I wont be too annoyed if we dont sign anyone in Jan.
If Nando stays fit he'll be like a new signing anyway! :buttrock
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:32 am

As for not signing anyone. We don't often splash out lots in January, we seemingly wasted £40m or thereabouts in the summer so I'm not sure wasting more in January will help. One key signing might help our title challenge, but where the money would come from is anyone's guess. If we sold half a dozen players we might fund a £15m-£20m signing, but if they're players we don't want then we're not too likely to get top dollar for them - and we'd be reducing the squad size. Take out players like Lucas, Dossena, Babel and Benayoun (with maybe another two or three to make up a significant enough fund) then you'd be losing at least three players who have played in a few games this season. Who would fill in for them?

Lucas - 19 appearances (1 goal)
Dossena - 16 appearances
Babel - 22 appearances (3 goals)
Benayoun - 22 appearances (1 goal)

They've appeared about 20 times each this season so whether you deem their contribution poor, indifferent or fantastic, those roles would have to be filled by someone - even substitute roles. Do we have an abundance of players who haven't been used much this season to fill in? Pennant? :laugh: I'd guess any who haven't already played 10-20 times this season wouldn't be our choices to fill in and those could be sold to by just a replacement or two.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thewaykokid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:30 am

Owzat wrote:
Thewaykokid wrote:it appears i have F@rked the title, its meant to say "can we win the premier league with our current squad?"

Should have reduced "premier league title" to "league", I think we'd all get which league.

Anyway, I don't see how the question that has been posed in various forms over the past weeks/months has changed any. We were all basing our title speculation on the current squad, I don't believe (m)any were basing it on us signing Villa, Barry, Simao, Heskey, Glen Johnson etc in January.

Funnily enough I was just going to that story link to post the story, just as well I checked this thread first. Someone else may still post it as a separate story.

Can we win the league? Of course we can, match Man Utd and Chelsea's results/points until the end of the season and we're top. 'Can' isn't really the issue, at the start of a season anyone 'can' win the league if they play well enough over 38 games

Will we win the league? Hard to say right now, the mancs are two games in hand to catch up to within a point and we have to play them away*. I believe Arsenal were top this time last year, the serious title contenders remain in it until the latter quarter of the season and we're not there yet. If we're still there with 8-10 games to go then I'd say we're as good, or near enough, as anyone else in the league and have a chance.

*I've said this plenty of times, the reason being it could prove to be extremely important. That game away could be pivotal to the title race.

i can understand where you're coming from, i mean, the question has been posed a lot. My question was more into looking at the depth of our squad, like as in can we afford to play babel, lucas and benayoun as subs when chelsea have the advantage of replacing drogba with anelka, or kalou for joe cole, or any which way you see it, chelsea and partially manure have these world class players on their bench and im not sure when the champions league and such kick in we will have the squad depth to keep up.
Thewaykokid

Postby DanAn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:33 am

Owzat wrote:As for not signing anyone. We don't often splash out lots in January, we seemingly wasted £40m or thereabouts in the summer so I'm not sure wasting more in January will help. One key signing might help our title challenge, but where the money would come from is anyone's guess. If we sold half a dozen players we might fund a £15m-£20m signing, but if they're players we don't want then we're not too likely to get top dollar for them - and we'd be reducing the squad size. Take out players like Lucas, Dossena, Babel and Benayoun (with maybe another two or three to make up a significant enough fund) then you'd be losing at least three players who have played in a few games this season. Who would fill in for them?

Lucas - 19 appearances (1 goal)
Dossena - 16 appearances
Babel - 22 appearances (3 goals)
Benayoun - 22 appearances (1 goal)

They've appeared about 20 times each this season so whether you deem their contribution poor, indifferent or fantastic, those roles would have to be filled by someone - even substitute roles. Do we have an abundance of players who haven't been used much this season to fill in? Pennant? :laugh: I'd guess any who haven't already played 10-20 times this season wouldn't be our choices to fill in and those could be sold to by just a replacement or two.

You make a good point about selling squad players. Particularly Benayoun and Lucas.

However the emergence of Insua means we could probably sell Dossena. I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw him again in a red shirt anyway. If we got an offer of more than 5 million pounds I think we could and should take it.

Babel is a tricky one. He plays a lot for us and when Kewell left I thought Babel would become one of our better players. If the rumors of Real Madrid offering 12 m were true we could feasably take it and sign Downing for the smae price or Mcgeady for less. I probably rather Babel long term but I think those two would be better for the curent title race.
DanAn

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:37 am

I'd still like to see us sign Owen. I know he's not everyone's fave player, but what an addition to the squad he'd be.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:08 am

the simple answer is that if they all stay fit and the manager plays them sensibly then yes.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 am

Thewaykokid wrote:
Owzat wrote:

i can understand where you're coming from, i mean, the question has been posed a lot. My question was more into looking at the depth of our squad, like as in can we afford to play babel, lucas and benayoun as subs when chelsea have the advantage of replacing drogba with anelka, or kalou for joe cole, or any which way you see it, chelsea and partially manure have these world class players on their bench and im not sure when the champions league and such kick in we will have the squad depth to keep up.

I reckon that's bollox though. Looking at the lists we are not that far behind:

Torres = Drogba
Anelka > Keane
Kalou = Kuyt
Babel = Kalouda 

Gerrard = Lampard
Alonso = Ballack
Masherano = Essien
Obi Mikel > Lucas 
Deco > Benayoun
Cole = Riera

Carragher = Terry
Skrttle < Carvalho
Agger > Alex
Hyppia > Mancienne

Arbeloa < Bosingwa
Aureleo < Cole
Degen <  Belletti
Insua = Ferriera

The only place IMO chelsea have significantly better players is in the fullback positions. I think there depth extrodinary depth compared to us is a bit of a myth.
DanAn

Postby Thewaykokid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 am

DanAn wrote:
Thewaykokid wrote:
Owzat wrote:

I reckon that's bollox though. Looking at the lists we are no that far behind:

Torres = Drogba
Anelka > Keane
Kalou = Kuyt
Babel = Kalouda 

Gerrard = Lampard
Alonso = Ballack
Masherano = Essien
Obi Mikel > Lucas 
Deco > Benayoun
Cole = Riera

Carragher = Terry
Skrttle < Carvalho
Agger > Alex
Hyppia > Mancienne

Arbeloa < Bosingwa
Aureleo < Cole
Degen <  Belletti
Insua = Ferriera

The only place IMO chelsea have significantly better players is in the fullback positions. I think there depth extrodinary depth compared to us is a bit of a myth.

Get your point there, but i think your list is a bit.....optimistic  :D . Come on, Joe Cole and Riera equal? I mean, personal opinions first and even though i like Riera i think Joe Cole is all over him.
Thewaykokid

Postby DanAn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:26 am

Thewaykokid wrote:Get your point there, but i think your list is a bit.....optimistic  :D . Come on, Joe Cole and Riera equal? I mean, personal opinions first and even though i like Riera i think Joe Cole is all over him.

Granted Cole is better but IMO I rate them close enough to equal. Just as Gerrard is better than Lampard but again it's close enough to equal for the comparison sake
DanAn

Postby Thewaykokid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:27 am

DanAn wrote:
Thewaykokid wrote:Get your point there, but i think your list is a bit.....optimistic  :D . Come on, Joe Cole and Riera equal? I mean, personal opinions first and even though i like Riera i think Joe Cole is all over him.

Granted Cole is better but IMO I rate them close enough to equal. Just as Gerrard is better than Lampard but again it's close enough to equal for the comparison sake

Ah ok now i get it  :D .
Thewaykokid

Postby Sabre » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:59 am

Yes. At the beginning of the season I thought that we might if we were lucky with injuries.

But the team has gone through a bad spell of injuries and the players who substituted the injured players or players not available answered well.

So I'm confident we can remain on top despite we don't sign up anybody, either because we don't need it, or because we can't afford it with the debt we have.

I wouldn't read in those lines though that there won't be no signings. It's the typical thing you say when you want to make clear to the market that you won't spell silly money. If we have a good chance, I'm pretty sure we'll get it.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion