Can we win the League title with our current squad - Yes or No?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Can we win the premier league title with our curre - Yes or no?

Yes
69
82%
No
15
18%
 
Total votes : 84

Postby Zidane » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Wonder who the 4 were that voted no. :angry:
User avatar
Zidane
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Pasadena, TX

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:45 pm

Zidane wrote:Wonder who the 4 were that voted no. :angry:

manure fans
User avatar
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:51 pm
Location: uk

Postby tubby » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 pm

Actually I voted no. We are doing well but those draws at home suggest we still at times lack the attacking ability to make goals from nothing. It's all well and good scoring 5 away from home in 1 game but id rather we dont draw any silly games at home. Will they end up costing us? Only time well tell but overall we are lacking a bit in strength in depth.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
User avatar
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 22442
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:52 pm

With Torres, Arbeloa and Skrtel returning and hopefully Alonso and Mascha not out for too long (if at all) we are stromg enough.

Torres and Gerrard are key...keep them fit, healthy and out of jail and we have a great chance.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:20 pm

Postby Zidane » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:08 pm

bavlondon wrote:Actually I voted no. We are doing well but those draws at home suggest we still at times lack the attacking ability to make goals from nothing. It's all well and good scoring 5 away from home in 1 game but id rather we dont draw any silly games at home. Will they end up costing us? Only time well tell but overall we are lacking a bit in strength in depth.

I'd understand if the question was will we but it is can we and it's unfortunate if some still don't believe that it is a possibility.
User avatar
Zidane
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Pasadena, TX

Postby DanAn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:24 pm

Owzat wrote:I wouldn't risk £12m or £20m if I was Arsenal. He played well in UEFA Cup etc, but that's no proof he won't be another Sergei Rebrov or Shevchenko (I know they're Ukrainian) It's not like he's been highly rated for many years, if Zenit hadn't gone on that run would half of us have heard of him?

He could be a flash in the pan but suspect he is more than that. He's a player that can play any attacking position and he's very creative.

I'd take him in a heart beat for 12m. I must admit I only first saw him in UEFA Cup last year and Euro's this year but I've seen him more than a dozen times now and he's always been good. He was very good in the Champions League Group stage, made Ferdinand look stupid in the Super Cup and apparently he's playing well for Zenit at home.

IMO his highlight reel is the best on youtube (therefore he must be good.   :idea )
DanAn
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Melbourne

Postby Zidane » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:32 pm

If he goes to Arsenal he is gonna fit right in and look well worth whatever they pay imo.
User avatar
Zidane
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Pasadena, TX

Postby tubby » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Zidane wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Actually I voted no. We are doing well but those draws at home suggest we still at times lack the attacking ability to make goals from nothing. It's all well and good scoring 5 away from home in 1 game but id rather we dont draw any silly games at home. Will they end up costing us? Only time well tell but overall we are lacking a bit in strength in depth.

I'd understand if the question was will we but it is can we and it's unfortunate if some still don't believe that it is a possibility.

Tell you what. If we beat Chelsea at home and take a point of Utd away I will believe
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
User avatar
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 22442
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 pm

We've got this far without having a fully fit Torres and now that he's back, we can definitely win it without making any buys.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
User avatar
ruskiy playmaker
 
Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: USA

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:44 pm

This is one of those threads where you almost feel it to be an act of betrayal to vote "no" and it's little surprise that the vast majority have voted yes.

Of course we "Can" win the League, we "can" do anything we want to do theoretically.................

Will we win the League is just as difficult to articulate an answer to.

Neither Chelsea or the Mancs have hit anything like form but Sunday will probably give us a clue where the main threat is coming from. If Chelsea win I'd say thats a better result for us but I think Man U will nick it and keep the pressure up.

The Mancs have to play us and Arsenal at home yet. If we get something from that game then I think even the 4 who voted NO might start to believe...............

P.S. Owzat I think made a good point in commenting that Arsenal were top last Christmas. Losing Insua is a big blow but Torres returning is a massive boost up front for us.

Walk on .............
Image
User avatar
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:08 am
Location: Liverpool

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Dalglish wrote:This is one of those threads where you almost feel it to be an act of betrayal to vote "no" and it's little surprise that the vast majority have voted yes.

Of course we "Can" win the League, we "can" do anything we want to do theoretically.................

Will we win the League is just as difficult to articulate an answer to.

Neither Chelsea or the Mancs have hit anything like form but Sunday will probably give us a clue where the main threat is coming from. If Chelsea win I'd say thats a better result for us but I think Man U will nick it and keep the pressure up.

The Mancs have to play us and Arsenal at home yet. If we get something from that game then I think even the 4 who voted NO might start to believe...............

P.S. Owzat I think made a good point in commenting that Arsenal were top last Christmas. Losing Insua is a big blow but Torres returning is a massive boost up front for us.

Walk on .............

Good post

Now post more often please  :D
User avatar
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 14766
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:46 am
Location: Dundalk

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:59 pm

I voted no. Our poor performances against lesser opposition at home is worrying. When the "top" teams come to Anfield, its not looking good is it? People will point out we beat United, yes, but am I the only one who feels that was long overdue?

With this current squad no. Whenever we have had poor results the blame is that Torres has been injured and therefore we have struggled. Thats one player. Will there be other injuries second half of the season? of course there will, what happens if Reina gets injured? or Carragher? or indeed Gerrard again. We have been lucky so far in that chelsea, man utd and arsenal have had a poor season and thats why we are top. The poor results at home will haunt us come the end of the season.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
User avatar
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 6380
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:18 am

Postby Dalglish » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 am

Dundalk wrote:
Dalglish wrote:This is one of those threads where you almost feel it to be an act of betrayal to vote "no" and it's little surprise that the vast majority have voted yes.

Of course we "Can" win the League, we "can" do anything we want to do theoretically.................

Will we win the League is just as difficult to articulate an answer to.

Neither Chelsea or the Mancs have hit anything like form but Sunday will probably give us a clue where the main threat is coming from. If Chelsea win I'd say thats a better result for us but I think Man U will nick it and keep the pressure up.

The Mancs have to play us and Arsenal at home yet. If we get something from that game then I think even the 4 who voted NO might start to believe...............

P.S. Owzat I think made a good point in commenting that Arsenal were top last Christmas. Losing Insua is a big blow but Torres returning is a massive boost up front for us.

Walk on .............

Good post

Now post more often please  :D

Hi Dundalk


"Less is more" in my book !  :D

Well thats what i8 keep telling the Wife  :p
Image
User avatar
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:08 am
Location: Liverpool

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:51 am

:laugh:
User avatar
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 14766
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:46 am
Location: Dundalk

Postby aCe' » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:04 am

roberto green wrote:
aCe' wrote:im not sure about winning the league atm to be honest.. its just this funny feeling that it takes a different type of manager, and im not saying one whos better or worse than benitez is, to win a league title..

now i know hes won it with valencia a coupla times, and i also know we'r top if the league now... but im still not 100% convinced that we can maintain our position come the end of the season..

it can be argued that we'r only top because the other top clubs havnt been performing to their high standards yet... thats just bs to me but i can see where that would come from..


see the way i see it, rafas style will only take a team so far when it comes to the league... we'll always be hard to break down and beat, but on the other hand we'll always struggle with too many draws.. thats what makes him such a brilliant manager when it comes to cup competitions though... thats all it takes.. not losing means winning in a cup... doesnt in a league... 5 wins and 5 draws in 10 games in a cup would probably win you the fcker but not so in the league.. actually 7 wins and 3 draws would be better off for you..

with rafas mentality the way it is now, i think the only way we'r going to win the league this season, or any season for all that matter while under him, is by counting on other teams dropping more points than you'd expect them to...

not that i would mind or anything... would like nothing more than for us to win the league and couldnt care less how we do it.. but just cant see it happening...

Your such a defeatist

Count on Mr Benitez


:D

not being a defeatist just being realistic mate..

Listen.. i do rate Benitez.. i really do.. i just dont think that hes the kinda manager you need when ur going after a league title...
put it this way.. if i was chairman of Tottenham and wanted to get a new manager id get benitez ahead of anyone else... hed probably get them a top 4 spot in a couple of years and maybe an FA or UEFA cup while at it.. see in a league its different when you have a club playing for the title... you have 4 teams or so playing for only one spot... for a CL spot its different.. you have 6 or 7 playing for 4 spots.. basically you can afford to drop more points against different sides by drawing or whatever and still be sure that u wont be the only side dropping points...

see with benitez its been pretty obvious since day 1 that we go out more often than not with the aim of not losing rather than winning.. theres this distinct lack of urgency whn we'r 0-0 with 15 mins to go playing a sht little side in the league who quite obviously value a point against us way higher than we do.. we'v seen it over the years and its not all that different this season... you look at MANUTD.... just the last few games, 20 mins to go if theyr not winning Ferguson starts throwing out all his attacking options... 3 forwards, giggs at leftback, vidic playing high up as a midfielder..etc etc
We'v done it once this season (taking a big gamle to win a game) and hell it worked.. but never again..

We'll always be there or thereabouts if only for the quality of our players... we deserve it.. however taking that one step ahead of the rest will always be a problem for us under Benitez imo.. He'll do his thing and get us some really good results that keep us in the top end of the table but unless others struggle to get results ud expect them to (as they are doing this season, and as RealMadrid and Barcelona did when Valencia won the 2 titles under him) then we'll always be a top 4 side only with good runs in cup competitions more often than not.. unless Rafa decides to change his ways a little that is

All in all imo, Benitez, the way hes MANAGING the team now, has taken us as far as he can ..
User avatar
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 6218
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:47 pm
Location: ...

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

  • Advertisement
Online Shop Builder Sell online and/or ePOS Till System sell in-store ShopTill-e provides you everything you need... With ShopTill-e you can sell everywhere it's a true Multichannel Retailing system!