Can we win the League title with our current squad - Yes or No?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Can we win the premier league title with our curre - Yes or no?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 84

Postby zarababe » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Yes we can :D

and I think Rafa is more-or-less saying there's no money to add to the squad.

Ignore the plebs BTW :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:17 pm

I have voted yes and really believe we CAN win the league this time. my Opinion is based on having an injury free squad to our key players. Chelsea dont impress me, Arsenal are too incosistent, Villa cant keep up the pace,Manure are foolishly playing Berbatov instead of Tevez so we have a eally good chance.
club_Levis

Postby milou » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:29 pm

I am confident we have a shot this time.. Just a shot but no more. But I am more than happy to accept it, considering how much we have suffered over the past 19 years.

I somehow expect Chelsea to slowly fall behind this time round. Somehow they seem weaker and lack of hunger & I dunno if it is down to Scholari's "inexperience" (his body language lately revealed his insecurity and lack of confidence) or Roman's "loss of interest".

I think it will be between Manure and us this time, and they will be right behind us... waiting to capitalize on our mishaps. For us to win it, it has to be win after win from now.. there will be little room for error.

Assuming Chelsea & Arsenal are out of it this year (which I think and hope so), their respective matches with us and manure would be key to the title race. For years, we have "helped" fcuking manure by giving them 6 points while shedding points off Arsenal & Chelsea.. hopefully this year Chelsea and Arsenal wold do us a favor.. starting this weekend.

As for the question posted in this thread.. Yes, our current squad is MORE THAN CAPABLE to win the title. But it will be down to Rafa to use it.

I have long questioned the validity of the notion that Manure has better players than us. Apart of a few world class players (which we also have).. do we really have to believe that he likes Evans, Rafael, OShea, Fletcher, Brown, Anderson, Park, Carrick, Giggs (old), Scholes (old), Neville (old) are much better than ours?!

My only take is Ferguson has been using his squad better, playing more cohesively. Hopefully Rafa will win the battle this year!
milou

Postby roberto green » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:38 pm

I'm kind of split with the answer,

if your going to say is our current squad good enough i think i would have to say i don't think so.Because the other 2 chelsea and the mancs have more quality in depth, But....

if you say is our first choice 11 good enough i would have to say a deffo yes because we have as much quality with our first choice 11 as the other big teams, it's just a matter have having your fingers crossed that they all stay fit

:)
roberto green

Postby johnymarcu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:43 pm

This is the year!!!
ImageImage
johnymarcu

Postby aCe' » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:46 pm

im not sure about winning the league atm to be honest.. its just this funny feeling that it takes a different type of manager, and im not saying one whos better or worse than benitez is, to win a league title..

now i know hes won it with valencia a coupla times, and i also know we'r top if the league now... but im still not 100% convinced that we can maintain our position come the end of the season..

it can be argued that we'r only top because the other top clubs havnt been performing to their high standards yet... thats just bs to me but i can see where that would come from..

see the way i see it, rafas style will only take a team so far when it comes to the league... we'll always be hard to break down and beat, but on the other hand we'll always struggle with too many draws.. thats what makes him such a brilliant manager when it comes to cup competitions though... thats all it takes.. not losing means winning in a cup... doesnt in a league... 5 wins and 5 draws in 10 games in a cup would probably win you the fcker but not so in the league.. actually 7 wins and 3 draws would be better off for you..

with rafas mentality the way it is now, i think the only way we'r going to win the league this season, or any season for all that matter while under him, is by counting on other teams dropping more points than you'd expect them to...

not that i would mind or anything... would like nothing more than for us to win the league and couldnt care less how we do it.. but just cant see it happening...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:57 pm

We must win the next two games no matter what. Every time Liverpool wins, we´re forcing the Mancs to win three games! Who´s got the real pressure?? :D
If we beat Stoke and bitters we´ll be forcing the scum to win 4 consecutive games to be in the race!!

We are top of the league and on the contrary of many "know it all" journalists say, we have not the real pressure but the inmediate pursuers who cannot fail again!
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:57 pm

I think we have a  good chance as long as we can keep our key players healthy for the rest of the season or at least not have more than 2 out at any time BUT i think the reason for this is as much to do with Chelsea and Manure being strangely inconsistent as it is us suddenly being much better although I would admit we are better than last season, but not by that much.
heimdall

Postby roberto green » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:57 pm

aCe' wrote:im not sure about winning the league atm to be honest.. its just this funny feeling that it takes a different type of manager, and im not saying one whos better or worse than benitez is, to win a league title..

now i know hes won it with valencia a coupla times, and i also know we'r top if the league now... but im still not 100% convinced that we can maintain our position come the end of the season..

it can be argued that we'r only top because the other top clubs havnt been performing to their high standards yet... thats just bs to me but i can see where that would come from..

see the way i see it, rafas style will only take a team so far when it comes to the league... we'll always be hard to break down and beat, but on the other hand we'll always struggle with too many draws.. thats what makes him such a brilliant manager when it comes to cup competitions though... thats all it takes.. not losing means winning in a cup... doesnt in a league... 5 wins and 5 draws in 10 games in a cup would probably win you the fcker but not so in the league.. actually 7 wins and 3 draws would be better off for you..

with rafas mentality the way it is now, i think the only way we'r going to win the league this season, or any season for all that matter while under him, is by counting on other teams dropping more points than you'd expect them to...

not that i would mind or anything... would like nothing more than for us to win the league and couldnt care less how we do it.. but just cant see it happening...

Your such a defeatist

Count on Mr Benitez

:D
roberto green

Postby Effes » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:15 pm

Of course we can.

Although, I think it would help to get an Owen, Glen Johnson, or someone to play
on the right.

The injuries accrued from now on in will be crucial.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:16 pm

tonyeh wrote:
s@int wrote:
tonyeh wrote:Actually, Zenith are looking for 20 mil. Arsenal have already told them to feck off.

I dunno about this lad though. Am I the only one who thinks he may have been a Euro 2008 flash in the pan?

Russian playmaker Andrei Arshavin is on standby for a £12m move to Arsenal from Zenit St Petersburg

bbc transfer gossip

I think he would be a good buy, only his size would be any cause for concern to me, as he is very mobile and quite quick.

Andrei Arshavin is threatening to buy himself out of his contract at Zenit St Petersburg or go on strike to secure his dream move to England. Arsenal are interested in signing the Russian international but have baulked at the £20m asking price. (Daily Express)

Also from the BBC transfer gossip page.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2....ansfers

Who to believe? ???

Either way, I don't know too much about Arshavin to make a call on whether he'd be worth 12 or 20 mil.

He is deifintley worth it, top top player. IMHO.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Yes we can win the title with the current squad. Considering how we are still top of the table and have missed torres for some time. If e have a fit torres we could win. As for not buying in january, i still feel we need a striker. I doubt keane will get enough goals. If we are going for the leage,champs and fa cup we need another decent striker. Wouldnt mind heskey.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Quadrophenia » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:15 pm

yes
We are the Mods
We are the Mods
We are
We are
We are the Mods
Quadrophenia

Postby heimdall » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Madmax wrote:Yes we can win the title with the current squad. Considering how we are still top of the table and have missed torres for some time. If e have a fit torres we could win. As for not buying in january, i still feel we need a striker. I doubt keane will get enough goals. If we are going for the leage,champs and fa cup we need another decent striker. Wouldnt mind heskey.

Heskey was a non entity before and will be so again, completely wrong signing for us.  :no
heimdall

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:41 pm

heimdall wrote:
Madmax wrote:Yes we can win the title with the current squad. Considering how we are still top of the table and have missed torres for some time. If e have a fit torres we could win. As for not buying in january, i still feel we need a striker. I doubt keane will get enough goals. If we are going for the leage,champs and fa cup we need another decent striker. Wouldnt mind heskey.

Heskey was a non entity before and will be so again, completely wrong signing for us.  :no

but he would do us good for the FA cup. 9 apps and 6 goals in the cup for the reds.  :p anyways still feel we need another striker to give us a boost. If not heskey then someone else atleast.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion