Can we win the League title with our current squad - Yes or No?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Can we win the premier league title with our curre - Yes or no?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 84

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:48 am

Kharhaz wrote:I voted no. Our poor performances against lesser opposition at home is worrying. When the "top" teams come to Anfield, its not looking good is it? People will point out we beat United, yes, but am I the only one who feels that was long overdue?

With this current squad no. Whenever we have had poor results the blame is that Torres has been injured and therefore we have struggled. Thats one player. Will there be other injuries second half of the season? of course there will, what happens if Reina gets injured? or Carragher? or indeed Gerrard again. We have been lucky so far in that chelsea, man utd and arsenal have had a poor season and thats why we are top. The poor results at home will haunt us come the end of the season.

Doomed! We're all doomed!

:D
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 am

We are not doomed but im certain everyone in this thread would have voted yes had we taken maxiumum points from those silly 4 home draws. We would be 11 points clear after all instead of 3.
Last edited by tubby on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:40 am

bavlondon wrote:We are not doomed but im certain everyone in this thread would have voted yes had we taken maxiumum points from those silly 4 home draws. We would be 11 points clear after all instead of 3.

It would of certainly helped yes,but say for instants we would of won these teams and against the big three we would of lost one being Arsenal and drew the other 2 being Chelsea and the Mancs we would be on here saying were not going to win the league because we can't beat the big teams, so it kind of works both ways.

So what I'm trying to say is yeah it would of helped but we are were are now because we have been the best up to now and we have a grate chance of going on to win our first title since 1990.

Bring it on.

:buttrock
roberto green

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Dalglish wrote:Of course we "Can" win the League, we "can" do anything we want to do theoretically.................

Can you lend us a tenner then Ian and can you get us a ticket for the derby ?

Thanks
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:08 pm

I seriously think we have a great chance and I am not sure that the strength of the squad is the only critical factor. The Anfield draws have been frustrating but luck and the determination of the opposition played a large part. Stoke, well luck certainly played a part with the disallowed goal and Stoke also made it very difficult - a point to them was as important as three points to us. Hull are no mugs and what with a couple of defensive errors and a very determined performance from Hull the points were shared - could we really complain? I do not regard these as silly results. This is the Premiership in 2009 and nobody said it was going to be easy. I do not subscribe to the view that the Premiership is at it's weakest for years. I actually think that we have a more balanced Premiership and that more shocks can be expected. Put teams 6 to 12 in Serie A and I do not think they would be disgraced.

I previously mentioned determination and apart from maybe Dossena,Pennant and Babel I think the team has a desire level that we haven't seen for a very long time and that is going to be a key factor together with the strength of the squad. Having a manager in Rafa who has the courage of his own convictions. I know what a few people thought of his chosen team before the Newcastle game - I wasn't daft enough to put my view in print before the game though and I am glad I didn't! Rafa will always have his critics because he is not frightened to throw a curved ball and that takes courage which is also going to be a critical factor. The determination showed by the team this season when they have been behind has been hugely impressive and something we have been crying out for in past seasons. Love them or hate them, both Kuyt and more recently Benayoun are showing just how much they want it. I have criticised Lucas but recently he has started to show why he received the accolades that he did in Brazil. Benayoun and Lucas can play an important part in the second half of the season. Keane is also going to be important and can shut up a few of his critics.

YES I THINK WE CAN WIN IT!

COME IN NUMBER 19 YOUR TIMES UP!   

:) :) :)
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:45 pm

To be honest, if you had asked me at the start of the season, I'd have responded "We do have the squad but I don't think we would"... due to various reasons. But we've done better than my expectations and now my response would be "We DO have the squad and I think we can".

Its been a good outing so far for us this season.... Far from perfect, mind you, with silly points being dropped but good nonetheless..... For a change, its the other teams that have to hope for us to slip up this time.... and I'm loving it.
ConnO'var

Postby fivecups » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:52 pm

devaney wrote:I seriously think we have a great chance and I am not sure that the strength of the squad is the only critical factor. The Anfield draws have been frustrating but luck and the determination of the opposition played a large part. Stoke, well luck certainly played a part with the disallowed goal and Stoke also made it very difficult - a point to them was as important as three points to us. Hull are no mugs and what with a couple of defensive errors and a very determined performance from Hull the points were shared - could we really complain? I do not regard these as silly results. This is the Premiership in 2009 and nobody said it was going to be easy. I do not subscribe to the view that the Premiership is at it's weakest for years. I actually think that we have a more balanced Premiership and that more shocks can be expected. Put teams 6 to 12 in Serie A and I do not think they would be disgraced.

I previously mentioned determination and apart from maybe Dossena,Pennant and Babel I think the team has a desire level that we haven't seen for a very long time and that is going to be a key factor together with the strength of the squad. Having a manager in Rafa who has the courage of his own convictions. I know what a few people thought of his chosen team before the Newcastle game - I wasn't daft enough to put my view in print before the game though and I am glad I didn't! Rafa will always have his critics because he is not frightened to throw a curved ball and that takes courage which is also going to be a critical factor. The determination showed by the team this season when they have been behind has been hugely impressive and something we have been crying out for in past seasons. Love them or hate them, both Kuyt and more recently Benayoun are showing just how much they want it. I have criticised Lucas but recently he has started to show why he received the accolades that he did in Brazil. Benayoun and Lucas can play an important part in the second half of the season. Keane is also going to be important and can shut up a few of his critics.

YES I THINK WE CAN WIN IT!

COME IN NUMBER 19 YOUR TIMES UP!   

:) :) :)

Great post.

I agree with Big Mick that it's inarguable that the other 3 'big four' teams have been weaker than in previous seasons but I'd say that overall the other 16 are probably stronger. There's certainly no Derby's this year and there have been very few matches won by annihilation.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Quadrophenia » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:15 pm

bavlondon wrote:We are not doomed but im certain everyone in this thread would have voted yes had we taken maxiumum points from those silly 4 home draws. We would be 11 points clear after all instead of 3.

So we dropped points at home to Stoke, West Ham, Fulham and Hull. Haven't the other sides dropped points? I mean surely if we'd dropped oh so many points we'd be the ones fighting it out for fourth?

We have the most points in the league...FACT.
If after 38 games we have three more points than Chelsea we win the league...FACT.
If after 38 games we have seven more points than United yet they still have two games in hand, we win the league...FACT.

So yes we've dropped points and we could be eleven points clear but we're not. We're still top though which suggests to me we're picking up more than enough points, it also suggests to me we're not the only ones who have dropped points and it also suggests to me that we'll win the league.
We are the Mods
We are the Mods
We are
We are
We are the Mods
Quadrophenia

Postby Madmax » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Best thing is mannure and chelsea have dropped points and also arsenal are out of it aswel. :D
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:05 pm

We've got a great chance imo. Infact I'd even go as far as to ay that the game at Old Trafford later in the season could go a long way to deciding how we fare come May. Both us and United have already gone away to Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Everton, Spurs and Man City which means we both have to still play them all at home. We shouldn't be fearing any away trip from now until the end of the season apart from the Man United game.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:29 pm

DanAn wrote:Gerrard = Lampard

:rasp  get real...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:40 pm

It's also possible because nobody's playing anywhere near their potential this season with the possible exception of Aston Villa. Arsenal have no backbone, Chelsea are dropping points galore recently and United are hardly pulling down any trees either. They've scored 4 goals in their last 6 League games and have only scored more than once away from home in one game this season.

It puts it into perspective when in 2005/6 we got 82 points and still only finished 3rd. It's possible this season that you could win the League with maybe 87 points the way things are going.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Thewaykokid wrote:But we are in a good position and I am happy to use the players we have now

:laugh:

Pathetic. Absolutley pathetic.

And whats more he makes himself look even more stupid after his outbust to Fergie.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 pm

aCe' wrote:
roberto green wrote:
aCe' wrote:im not sure about winning the league atm to be honest.. its just this funny feeling that it takes a different type of manager, and im not saying one whos better or worse than benitez is, to win a league title..

now i know hes won it with valencia a coupla times, and i also know we'r top if the league now... but im still not 100% convinced that we can maintain our position come the end of the season..

it can be argued that we'r only top because the other top clubs havnt been performing to their high standards yet... thats just bs to me but i can see where that would come from..

see the way i see it, rafas style will only take a team so far when it comes to the league... we'll always be hard to break down and beat, but on the other hand we'll always struggle with too many draws.. thats what makes him such a brilliant manager when it comes to cup competitions though... thats all it takes.. not losing means winning in a cup... doesnt in a league... 5 wins and 5 draws in 10 games in a cup would probably win you the fcker but not so in the league.. actually 7 wins and 3 draws would be better off for you..

with rafas mentality the way it is now, i think the only way we'r going to win the league this season, or any season for all that matter while under him, is by counting on other teams dropping more points than you'd expect them to...

not that i would mind or anything... would like nothing more than for us to win the league and couldnt care less how we do it.. but just cant see it happening...

Your such a defeatist

Count on Mr Benitez

:D

not being a defeatist just being realistic mate..

Listen.. i do rate Benitez.. i really do.. i just dont think that hes the kinda manager you need when ur going after a league title...
put it this way.. if i was chairman of Tottenham and wanted to get a new manager id get benitez ahead of anyone else... hed probably get them a top 4 spot in a couple of years and maybe an FA or UEFA cup while at it.. see in a league its different when you have a club playing for the title... you have 4 teams or so playing for only one spot... for a CL spot its different.. you have 6 or 7 playing for 4 spots.. basically you can afford to drop more points against different sides by drawing or whatever and still be sure that u wont be the only side dropping points...

see with benitez its been pretty obvious since day 1 that we go out more often than not with the aim of not losing rather than winning.. theres this distinct lack of urgency whn we'r 0-0 with 15 mins to go playing a sht little side in the league who quite obviously value a point against us way higher than we do.. we'v seen it over the years and its not all that different this season... you look at MANUTD.... just the last few games, 20 mins to go if theyr not winning Ferguson starts throwing out all his attacking options... 3 forwards, giggs at leftback, vidic playing high up as a midfielder..etc etc
We'v done it once this season (taking a big gamle to win a game) and hell it worked.. but never again..

We'll always be there or thereabouts if only for the quality of our players... we deserve it.. however taking that one step ahead of the rest will always be a problem for us under Benitez imo.. He'll do his thing and get us some really good results that keep us in the top end of the table but unless others struggle to get results ud expect them to (as they are doing this season, and as RealMadrid and Barcelona did when Valencia won the 2 titles under him) then we'll always be a top 4 side only with good runs in cup competitions more often than not.. unless Rafa decides to change his ways a little that is

All in all imo, Benitez, the way hes MANAGING the team now, has taken us as far as he can ..

just to avoid repetition... this game was the perfect example... any chance of offering him a new contract where he only manages the team on tuesdays and wednesdays... not the guy to win us a league and i bet most here believe it but are just refusing to admit it...

still lacking the belief and that to no small part is due to benitez and his tactics..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Ok lads pile in here! :D
Last edited by tubby on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion