Can we win the League title with our current squad - Yes or No?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Can we win the premier league title with our curre - Yes or no?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 84

Postby Lee2k6 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:09 pm

DanAn wrote:You make a good point about selling squad players. Particularly Benayoun and Lucas.

However the emergence of Insua means we could probably sell Dossena. I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw him again in a red shirt anyway. If we got an offer of more than 5 million pounds I think we could and should take it.

Babel is a tricky one. He plays a lot for us and when Kewell left I thought Babel would become one of our better players. If the rumors of Real Madrid offering 12 m were true we could feasably take it and sign Downing for the same price or Mcgeady for less. I probably rather Babel long term but I think those two would be better for the curent title race.

If the rumours are true then i wonder if they would do a straight swap for Van der Vaart?  :oops:

Either way all said and done i think our current squad can win the title, however i don't think many would complain if it is made even stronger in Jan.  :buttrock
Lee2k6

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Yes, but I would have liked a top quality creative player to help us break teams down. Rumours that Arshavin is going to be allowed to leave now for £12million. I think the game at Old Trafford may eventually decide things one way or the other. Hopefully when we go there its not needing to win to maintain our challenge but needing a win to increase our lead.

We need to keep our key players fit but playing as many games as possible, so a difficult juggling act for Rafa.
account deleted by request

Postby tonyeh » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Actually, Zenith are looking for 20 mil. Arsenal have already told them to feck off.

I dunno about this lad though. Am I the only one who thinks he may have been a Euro 2008 flash in the pan?
tonyeh

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, I think that given that we are top of table in January with the current squad it's feasible that we could still be top of the pile come May even if we don't bring anyone in.  The big question will be the fitness of key players, followed by the mentality of the lads and manager as the pressure mounts during the run-in.  If we can keep our key players fit and firing, have our squad players do a job whenever called upon, and deal with the pressures of being top, we've got every chance of winning the thing.

That said, I do think we need to make at least one quality (not necessarily big money) signing to add some guile to our attack.  We're still working far too hard to break organized teams down who are playing for a point and that will be the one thing that scuppers our challenge if allowed to continue, IMO.  Torres returning will help immensely but I'd still love to see a tricky winger, a clinical finisher or an effective target man come in.  Saint's idea of a creative 2nd striker would be fantastic too, but honestly, I don't think Rafa's going to budge much from playing Gerrard in the hole behind Torres.  A winger would slot nicely into our current system, while the clinical finisher and/or target man could serve as Plan B, if the Torres-Gerrard tandem hits a snag.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:08 pm

tonyeh wrote:Actually, Zenith are looking for 20 mil. Arsenal have already told them to feck off.

I dunno about this lad though. Am I the only one who thinks he may have been a Euro 2008 flash in the pan?

Russian playmaker Andrei Arshavin is on standby for a £12m move to Arsenal from Zenit St Petersburg

bbc transfer gossip

I think he would be a good buy, only his size would be any cause for concern to me, as he is very mobile and quite quick.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:15 pm

I think yes what about you?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:35 pm

s@int wrote:
tonyeh wrote:Actually, Zenith are looking for 20 mil. Arsenal have already told them to feck off.

Russian playmaker Andrei Arshavin is on standby for a £12m move to Arsenal from Zenit St Petersburg

bbc transfer gossip

I think he would be a good buy, only his size would be any cause for concern to me, as he is very mobile and quite quick.

Andrei Arshavin is threatening to buy himself out of his contract at Zenit St Petersburg or go on strike to secure his dream move to England. Arsenal are interested in signing the Russian international but have baulked at the £20m asking price. (Daily Express)

Also from the BBC transfer gossip page.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2....ansfers

Who to believe? ???

Either way, I don't know too much about Arshavin to make a call on whether he'd be worth 12 or 20 mil.
tonyeh

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:42 pm

I wouldn't risk £12m or £20m if I was Arsenal. He played well in UEFA Cup etc, but that's no proof he won't be another Sergei Rebrov or Shevchenko (I know they're Ukrainian) It's not like he's been highly rated for many years, if Zenit hadn't gone on that run would half of us have heard of him?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Owzat wrote:I wouldn't risk £12m or £20m if I was Arsenal. He played well in UEFA Cup etc, but that's no proof he won't be another Sergei Rebrov or Shevchenko (I know they're Ukrainian) It's not like he's been highly rated for many years, if Zenit hadn't gone on that run would half of us have heard of him?

I agree. I personally think his good performance in the Euro's may have put an unwarranted glamour on him

Nobody had heard about this guy until the Summer. If he was such a great player, it would have filtered down before then surely.
tonyeh

Postby mramo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:14 pm

We better win the league this season or else Benitez will have no job at Anfield come May.

Personally since 1990 I have always felt optimistic that Liverpool will win the title - for the 1st time since 1990, I dont think they will win it - too many draws, failing to capitalise when top 4 fail, areas of strength needed i.e. world class full back (left & right).
mramo

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:16 pm

mramo wrote:We better win the league this season or else Benitez will have no job at Anfield come May.

You're an idiot.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mramo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 pm

You're the idiot. Read my post fully before trading silly insults you pleb! I was in the middle of editing my post to add further detail of why!! Whats the matter, you cant take a constructive opinion?! Im a liverpool fan so shouldnt be any problems here?
mramo

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:21 pm

So now, after editing your original post, you think since 1990 (do you remember some of our teams? cream suits anyone? Babb, Song, spice boys) Now we are finally dominating you DON'T think we will win? So saying you don't think we will win and you want Rafa out if we don;t win, you want Rafa out?

I take it back, you are a valued addition.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mramo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:24 pm

Yes because everytime I think of high hopes we end up being pipped or struggle (just like in 1997, 2002)

So im unturning the jinx by saying we wont win it. We;ll see what happens come May & I 100% hope Im proved wrong & Liverpool are crowned champs of England 19 times.
mramo

Postby taff » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:27 pm

Seeing as the current squad have put us top of the table I say yes

And Torres is back

So yes
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion