ENGLAND VS SWEDEN - Match thread, build up etc

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:13 pm

same old england, same old story i'm afraid.

we were absolutely cruising in the first half. never in any danger whatsoever. but i seriously want to know what the hell the manager says at half time to make us be so abject in the second half of games. after the break we looked like we'd never defended a set piece in our lives before.

positives were joe cole (who was outstanding) and hargreaves (who had a good game). with owen now out we have to play 4-5-1 with rooney upfront on his own. crouch should be used as an option from the bench.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:22 pm

With Owen now out Sven must be regretting the inclusion of Walcott at the expense of Bent/Defoe more and more.

More worrying though was some of the defending last night.  Ferdinand especially was a joke.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:26 pm

Sven doesnt seem to be the most inspirational of managers, his half time rallying speeches and passionate calls for more effort working England up into a frenzy of enthusiastic effort seem to consist of "well played, more tea anyone". The guy is getting £5million a year and all he seems to do is pick the team.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:46 pm

Dalglish wrote:The whole back line were poor tonight especially Carra who looked out of sorts all night and was given the runaround by the Swedes.

Not Carragher's fault. Sweden targeted that side, because Carragher isn't a right back. The guy's a centre back.

The injury to Rio should see Carragher and Terry at centre back but then who plays at right back? I can see Campbell getting games, even though he had a sh#te season and shouldn't have been in the squad in the first place.

I thought Carragher was alright considering he was left exposed at times because Beckham was in no man's land.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby PhiLFC » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:16 pm

I thought Carra struggled last night but Beckham was useless and I didn't think Lampard was up to much either... on the plus side Hargreaves looked pretty good, Joe Cole was on fire and Rooney will be awesome against Ecuador.  I thought Crouch showed some excellent touches.

From an England fan point of view I would like to see Neville back asap.  I feel sorry for Michael Owen but that's football. Thank f.cuk for Gerrard.

Do you think Theo will get a game in these finals?

Sweden play such a similar game of football to England that they're always difficult to play against... lets get it into perspective, they were trying their hardest to win last night against a team that's stuck in 2nd gear.

Ecuador didn't even try against the Germans because they don't fear England or Sweden and I can't say I blame 'em.
PhiLFC

Postby PhiLFC » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:23 pm

john craig wrote:With Owen now out Sven must be regretting the inclusion of Walcott at the expense of Bent/Defoe more and more.

More worrying though was some of the defending last night.  Ferdinand especially was a joke.

Its probably been said in previous posts but Defoe/Bent must wonder what the hell was going on with the Theo Walcott thing.  Personally I would have taken the in form goal scorer and that would have been Robbie :)

Sol's not a bad replacement for Rio though is he? But I would have moved Carra into central defence
PhiLFC

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:28 pm

As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with negativity when the manager is such a tw@t (strikers anyone?) and over-rated players like Lampard (and on last night's  performance Beckham) are not dropped when they're playing garbage.

We should be playing superb football and have a real chance to win it. But it's just being pi$$ed up the wall with :censored: tactics and schoolboy defending. Do you really think that (or the other two games) was a convincing performance? Good teams win games, and nobody can seriously come up with some boll#cks about winners staring slowly.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:53 pm

Sh*te performance, saved yet again by Liverpool FC.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:00 pm

England got a great draw for the world cup and should beat Equador. They are, however, no where near the standard required to win it. I've never seen them keep the ball. I've always though England are a top 10 team (just!) but aren't quite top class.

I'm sure you were delighted that Argentina topped their group and so you avoid them in quarters.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion