International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:06 pm

So BBC have annouced the starting line-up for tonights game at Anfield:

Robinson

Neville      Terry     Ferdinand     Bridge

Carrick

Beckham    Gerrard       J.Cole

Rooney      D.Bent

Likely Subs (from): James, Carragher, King, Young, Brown, Jenas, SWP, Richardson, Crouch

----------

First thoughts are that its a shame they haven't opted with Carragher instead of Ferdinand. I think Terry and Carragher not only are the best CBs in the country at the moment but they are a better compliment to each other than Ferdinand & Terry.

Happy to see Gerrard in that central position, his natural position  - should see a lot of his attacking influence tonight.

Hopefully Crouch will get a good run out presumably with Defoe rather than Rooney, but who knows. I would predict a comfortable win tonight but you never know with England friendlies! Lets just hope Stevie G or Crouch scores tonight
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:09 pm

well lampard has played something like 200 games in a row for chelsea and yet conveniently on the eve of this game he gets a tight hamstring. :Oo:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:06 pm

I say burnout
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:15 pm

Yet again England jammily beat a team they should be beating comfortably.I am happy for Crouch though,always nice to see a liverpool player perform well....

England never play to their true potential if they did they could win the world cup but i cant see it happening.

It was a good game though.
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:29 pm

It's Svens negative tactics and lack of understanding of the English qualities 'n' favouritism that will mean we miss out on yet another World Cup trophy. :(
48-1119859832

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:08 am

As much as I hate to say it, Joe Cole was by far the best player on the pitch.

Gerrard looked quiet, no his usual self.

Rooney looked uncomfortable with Bent, I can't see the Rooney/Owen combo being broken.

Crouch looked good  - nervous at the beginning. It seemed as if he felt he had to win over the england fans :angry: - which he did. 

Finally, surely sven has to see how sh!te Rio Ferdinand is. He is an absolute liability. Carragher should easily be in his position. I suppose Carraghers only downfall is be too versatile. Maybe if he was less talented and oinly played at CB then Sven would be forced into playing he there?
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:24 am

Sven picks his team based around media hype. He picks a starting eleven based on what Journo's want him to pick 'n' what players the Journo's hype up, rather than what players would best suit this particular formation. Prime example would be Gerrard 'n' Lampard in midfield.
48-1119859832

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:28 am

Journo's?

I agree somewhat with him picking the papers team but I would pick Gerrard and Lampard in midfield, surely thats an obvious selection.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:37 am

I thought Uruguays goal was fantastic.

England were quite poor in the first half
But picked it up in the seccond, Good cross by Joe Cole which led to the Crouch header.
I know it was only a friendly but England should be doing much better

:O :)
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:54 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I agree somewhat with him picking the papers team but I would pick Gerrard and Lampard in midfield, surely thats an obvious selection.

Journo's = journalist.  :D

As for pairing two attacking central midfielders in the centre of the park is something I disagree with entirely, I've always noticed the gaping holes left in midfield from when Lampard 'n' Gerrard are in midfield together, it doesn't get exploited much as England alway seem to have fairly easy teams to contend with in the qualifers.

I've always been in favour of having a defensive mid 'n' an attacking mid in the centre of the park, that way when for example Gerrard goes to attack he has cover.

It was like with Istanbul when Hamann came on he made all the difference. It's the same with Madrid when they had Makelele 'n' it's the same with Chelsea, 'n' United had Roy Keane.

You bet any money that if we should draw someone like Brazil and we choose to play Lampard 'n' Gerrard we will lose the midfield battle. And once you've lost that battle, you're pretty much stuffed.
48-1119859832

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:29 am

I think Sven is tending to play a holding midfielder - King, Jenas or Carrick. Carrick played quite well last night, i think he could do an good job there. And it solves the problem with Gerrard and Lampard
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:33 am

It does indeed, altho if you wanted to pay both Gerrard 'n' Lampard then you would have to play a 4-5-1 formation, a normal 4-4-2 will leave lots of loop holes in midfield. Altho I expect Sven to be as ignorant as ever and play a 4-4-2 with all his favourites and then look like someone whose been squashed by an elephant when we get knocked out.
48-1119859832

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion