ENGLAND VS SWEDEN - Match thread, build up etc

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby GOAT » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:30 pm

I think England will pass by ecuador easily unless they seriously screw up. Ecuador are not a great team, they beat poor sides in costa rica and poland but then they got hammered when they came up against opposition of quality. If we play a decent game we should beat them. Im just worried about the quarter finals onwards when we meet supremely strong opposition

Yeah gerrard and alonso have been excellent in the tournament so far.  Gerrard has been great scoring 2 goals in 2 games and putting in great performances even though hes not being played properly. He would be fantastic if Sven used him how he plays best
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby matrix » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:36 pm

because they open up more and play more attacking...instead of trying to play fuc.king tactical, but playing sweden is like being in hell or something...any other team will do dont ask me why  ???

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:09 am

England played better than their previous two group games but that wasn't going to be that difficult ! ???

Sweden showed why we are almost certainly not going to win the World Cup. As soon as England take the lead it's written on the England Psyche to drop further back, concede possession and invite teams onto us. And it's exactly what Sweden did and they deserved a draw at least.

The whole back line were poor tonight especially Carra who looked out of sorts all night and was given the runaround by the Swedes.

Stevie did what he always does which is give us a lift and Crouch was OK.

Owen .......??? What can you say, the mans more brittle than China when the Bull walks into the shop :O
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:36 am

England are lucky they were drawn against a relatively poor group, so they're 2nd round game shouldn't be all that difficult.

Unfortunately a team like Portugal, Holland or perhaps Argentina will be going home 2nd round, all stronger and better teams to watch than England on current form.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:50 am

I think England have as good a chance as any now we have reached the knockout stages.To win cup matches you need matchwinners with guts. England have proven big match winners Gerrard, Beckham, Lampard (yes I know)possibly Rooney with the balls to grab the opportunities when they arrive. The Owen injury is heartbreaking but it does mean that Sven may be forced to play a holding player releasing Gerrard and Fat Frank to go raiding forward with more freedom. DONT give up on England.
account deleted by request

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:00 am

I'm not going to blame anyone in particular, but the defence was woeful, England lacked ideas and creativity in attack. England should of won that match, it was there for the taking but they sat back, instead of pressing and were caught out.

Those who think Ecuador will be an easy ride think again, think again. They have looked far more dangerous than Sweden and if they play like tonight, they'll be going home.

As for Owen, I'd say his career will be cut short, he's going to be blited with injuries now, shame that.  :(
48-1119859832

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:22 am

Our problem is obvious, Steven Gerrard, the men in charge of england seem to think that if we hold Gerrard back then we'll be ok, drop lampard, lets not make out rooney to be englands saviour and concentrate on the team rather than the individuals. Beckham and lampard are only there because there names are bigger than there actual talent
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:22 am

we win the group, but it feels like a defeat
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jimenez » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:18 am

Dude, Ecuador is bloody dangerous. Sure, their performance against the home team wasn't very good. But Ecuador not only beat Brazil and Argentina in the World Cup Qualifiers, they dominated them.

Hope England can advance.
Jimenez

Postby laza » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:50 am

I dont think Ecuador is going to be  easy ride but still prefer England play them rather then Germany
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:59 am

England better buck their ideas up or they will be on the next flight home, Ive seen nothing so far that I think we will win it but you never know.
Dont know what the feck Sven was thinking only bringing 4 forwards two unfit and one thats never played in competitive football (Walcott) then theres Crouch so we play the long ball up to him totally boring.
Should have brought Defoe and SWP aswell to have a bit of a chance but alas its not meant to be.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 am

Jimenez wrote:Dude, Ecuador is bloody dangerous. Sure, their performance against the home team wasn't very good. But Ecuador not only beat Brazil and Argentina in the World Cup Qualifiers, they dominated them.

Hope England can advance.

Most, if not all, of Equador's wins against Argentine, Brazil, etc. were at home, at altitude...and I think they have been undefeated at home for eons. Traditionally they have been non-performers at sea level. This tournament though they have been exciting to watch.

England cannot make the mistake of thinking this will a cake walk. They have to enter this match thinking it as their World Cup final not as the third place Sth American team of the runners-up in an average group.     ???

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:17 am

That third game for Ecuador was deceptive because they rested five players.  I can see us struggling more against them than we did against Paraguay, and considering we only just scraped that...

I think we'll raise our game, but I hope the weather is raining and cold!

BTW isn't it ironic that the Trinidad & Tobago coach said we can only score from set-plays, but in truth we've only conceded from set-plays.  I wonder if he'll admit he was wrong.
???
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:43 am

Judge wrote:we win the group, but it feels like a defeat

It does feel like a defeat, England were 5 mins away from winning the match and yet England sat back and let Sweden back into the match.  :no
48-1119859832

Postby 2520years » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:51 am

0asis wrote:
Judge wrote:we win the group, but it feels like a defeat

I think the negative feelings are partly because of the media.  I admit we haven't played well most of the time, but we'd have taken 7 points in the group before the tournament started.  Every time I see Sven interviewed I cringe that all the focus is on what we did badly, and what we did well isn't mentioned.  It seems to me the TV channels are becoming more like the tabloids, looking for controversy.  You can only beat what's put in front of you and England have done all they set out to do.
:lookaround
My earliest memory.
2520years

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion