England v paraguay unofficial thread - For all you who do support the english

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby GOAT » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:17 pm

Gaunt wrote:
GOAT wrote:
shanks72 wrote:
drummerphil wrote:My that was sh1t,even first half i couldnt agree with the panel at half time.Well lads if thats the best we have bar Rooney,i bet sweden and trinidad and tobago are p1ssing themselves.I couldnt get motivated before kick off so you can imagine how i feel now.When i cant sleep tonight and they fetch me a camode at least i will be able to sh1t easy enough.
Owen Fecking Hargreaves i've said it before...............why
The excuse we get from our  great players "it was a bit warm" Brazil,Argentina and the likes are going to be bricking themselves over the German weather.
I know we won but to be honest can anyone see us even getting past the quarters after that,hope i'm wrong but with that tactically in ept swede in charge and the new England manager sitting next to him..............its going to be a very long time yet lads.

Anyway thats my daily post at the mo,hope i.m able to post something a bit better later,,,,,,,,,phil

Yeah, nice to see you Phil!

:)

Yea good to see you Phil.

Was a very poor performance i must say but we know that that certainly wasnt England at their best. We played at about 10% and beat paraguay comfortably. Im sure we can up our performance a hell of a lot from what we saw today. Im not going to put down our chances after that, i still think we can do it

I think your being very blinkered if your saying that was only 10% and putting blind faith into England playing a hell of a lot better. Of course England can and most likely will play better in the next few games the players won't instantly become world beaters. Theres a reason that Englands best play a lot worse for England than they do for their clubs and its the tactics employed.

Obviously Gerrard and Lampard are too similar in the center, they both like getting forward and it leaves gaps in midfield that can put the center backs under pressure. As was said by Eamon Dunphy earlier England need a playmaker that can sit back and spray the ball to start attacks and unlock defenses, there is no ball playing playmaker in the center of the England midfield. Lampard and Gerrard both prefer to be on the end of the moves rather than creating them. The creativity is sorely lacking and a lot of the times today long ball tactics were used with Crouch and he isn't great in the air, he prefers the ball played to his feet to hold it up and link play. FWIW i'd sacrifice Lampard to the bench and maybe play Carrick as the holding midfielder. But i can see England struggling to break down the better teams unless Rooney is able to get fit and can preform in a match coming straight back in.

Ill put as much blind faith into supporting england as i want to!!  :D  Stop trying to make me look foolish!  :D
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:26 pm

GOAT wrote:Was a very poor performance i must say but we know that that certainly wasnt England at their best. We played at about 10% and beat paraguay comfortably. Im sure we can up our performance a hell of a lot from what we saw today. Im not going to put down our chances after that, i still think we can do it

Goat, I'll accept we weren't playing at our best, but to say 10% is just outrageous mate, it really is. I'll say we played at 80%. And I wouldn't say we beat Paraguay comfortably either, there were times when we could of conceeded a few goals. In the second half we were flat and played rather negatively. Taking off Owen for Downing and then taking Joe Cole off for Owen Hargreaves were very bad substitutions. It left us very blunt up front, we didn't play well at all today, but in the end it didn't matter. We won and that's all that matters.

Yeah we will need to up our game a lot, next match. Trinidad seem to pose more of a threat then what Paraguay do, and Trinidad have nothing to lose but everything to gain, so we will have to be more clinical up front, more sharp in attack, as well as more solid at the back.

But I think we can collect all nine points and go thru to the next stage.

48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:27 pm

GOAT wrote:I dont reckon we will play that badly again, we know that was a really poor performance by us but it means we can only get better now. I fancy the real england to run out against T&T and get a comfortable win

Here's hoping.  :D
48-1119859832

Postby GOAT » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:40 pm

0asis wrote:
GOAT wrote:Was a very poor performance i must say but we know that that certainly wasnt England at their best. We played at about 10% and beat paraguay comfortably. Im sure we can up our performance a hell of a lot from what we saw today. Im not going to put down our chances after that, i still think we can do it

Goat, I'll accept we weren't playing at our best, but to say 10% is just outrageous mate, it really is. I'll say we played at 80%. And I wouldn't say we beat Paraguay comfortably either, there were times when we could of conceeded a few goals. In the second half we were flat and played rather negatively. Taking off Owen for Downing and then taking Joe Cole off for Owen Hargreaves were very bad substitutions. It left us very blunt up front, we didn't play well at all today, but in the end it didn't matter. We won and that's all that matters.

Yeah we will need to up our game a lot, next match. Trinidad seem to pose more of a threat then what Paraguay do, and Trinidad have nothing to lose but everything to gain, so we will have to be more clinical up front, more sharp in attack, as well as more solid at the back.

But I think we can collect all nine points and go thru to the next stage.

Yeah, i know i was being a bit unrealistic, just trying to show england as much support as i can, i just hope we do improve a lot on the performance today
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:50 pm

GOAT wrote:Yeah, i know i was being a bit unrealistic, just trying to show england as much support as i can, i just hope we do improve a lot on the performance today

Its alright m8, I wudn't worry about it, it's the World Cup, better time than any to be unrealistic.  :D

I think we will, England have never started the opening fixture well in any cup competition down the years, we've normally drawn or lost. So to come away with the win was pretty good, if we can beat teams like Paraguay without playing our best than that just shows how much we've improved since 2002 and 2004.

But if we can play to our strengths we'll be in with a great chance. Oh and Sven needs to drop the cautious subs and the negativity, we need the correct balance between defence and attack.
48-1119859832

Postby davo_LFC » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:19 pm

Well england didn't suprise me one bit today, every time they go a goal up in tournaments like this in the second half they get deeper and deeper and invite pressure.

The midfield ends up miles away from the forwards and it is absolutely dire football, the england players should know better coz they all play for top teams.

Its exactly what will happen in the big games except the big teams will have a fu.cking field day unless sven sorts it out...fast. But i dont think he will, his mentality is italian, goal up defend like fu.ck. Even the italians dont defend that deep  :D And i wonder why my support for england is not once what it was...might be because i hate half the kunts that play for the team and i cant stand the fans. "Am england till i die" and that constant horn blowing goes right through me like a glass of orange juice  :Oo:

Then again, i suppose am english and i hope we do win the world cup but i cant see it unless they become more adventurous, its the best chance we've had in ages FFS so why bottle it?

I'd take a liverpool premiership title over an england world cup anyday of the week though  :buttrock
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:43 am

Poor performance, but we ALWAYS play sh*te in the opening match anyway!

I think Sven, the f*cking bell-end, should swap Stevie and Fat Frank around vs Trinidad and Tobago, and see how the belly likes holding the show together while his "partner" tries to take the glory at every f*cking moment.
How many shots did the tubby b*stard have, ffs? He's sh*t, and nothing the packet of lard does in this World Cup will alter my opinion that he isn't fit enough to lick sh*t off Gerrard's boot.

If the chubby tw*t knew what "teamwork" was, we'd probably have come out with 4 or 5 goals today, instead of 1, as the whole team pivots on the CM positions.

Personally, I'd drop the fat f*cker. I think he does nothing other than shoot and break ankles. And he's sh*t at shooting aswell, as the stats show that the useless c*nt needed 16 shots for every goal he scored last term.

16!!!!! Wankbandit.

The rest of the team were hampered by a ref more concerned with looking like a 1920's Cat-burglar than officiating a match. The vast majority of his decisions were appalling.

Owen was so far off the pace he needed a Harrier Jump-Jet to touch the ball.
Crouch had shocking service, yet challenged Paraguay's defence earnestly, without actually getting much joy. Infact, the ref just kept pandering to the S. Yank play-acting and gave them everything.

Joe Cole - kill him. I mean it. Diving little b*stard.

Beckham - impressive when he wasn't having to cover for fat b*stard.

Gerrard - Not up to his Liverpool standards, but it's hardly suprising when he's having to indulge that gargantuan sack of W*nk beside him.

Big Nose - Kill him aswell, the useless f*cker. Get JC in Sven, you dumb punk. If you can't play Jamie at CB, at least have him somewhere on the pitch, you thick tw*t.

Druggie - Ponce. Had Terry running around for him all day, the doped f*cking nancy.

Terry - Virtually faultless, no thanks to the smackhead alongside him.

A. Cole - Decent, but rarely tested, to be fair.

Robinson - If he's England's best option, he'd better pull his socks up and sharpish. Shocking at times.

Eriksson - Can't we just get rid now before he f*cks this tournament up? (And before anyone bitches that it's only the first game - 1 game is all it takes to see that the perverted  old cuntoid is still as clueless as before. Bringing f*cking Hargreaves on, ffs. Tw*t.)

:angry:
:D
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:02 am

England will improve. Ash Cole and Neville(c*nt) both looked lacking in match fitness and Owen will get sharper the more games he plays. I think its time Sven got some balls and dropped Lampard. I know he is a very good player but if he cant play better with Gerrard hes gotta go. On the bright side England managed to win despite a bad ref and despite Sven and his crazy substitutions again!( I thought the idea of tactical substitutions was to improve the team performance not destroy it)I still think Gerrard is working too hard and trying to do too much running. I am sure we will see a steady improvement and qualify top, but we will need to raise our game if are going to win the world cup.Backs to the wall defending against Paraguy was a little unexpected.
account deleted by request

Postby puroresu » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:13 am

Same old story with England. This so called great midfield or "best midfield in the world" cannot keep possesion. Every time England play a half decent side they cant keep the ball. Its pathetic and the reality is Englands players are overrated. Blaming it on the heat is just a joke. Listen you stupid players, everyone has to play in the heat and you are supposed to be at peak fitness condition. 2010 has a World Cup in South Africa, where its even warmer, so prepare your excuses now. Its simple,if u keep the ball you dont have to run as much as the ball does the work. If u give away the ball u have to chase to get it back using more energy. Its quite simple really.  This so called world class midfield also played in portugal in 2004 and Portugal totally dominated as once again Englands so called great midfield could not keep the ball.  Maradonna said Englands players have square feet and he aint wrong.  Sven cant make the players keep the ball and I think people need to stop believing the hype.  Technically the players are not good enough and until things change at grass roots level that will always be the case.  QF is the best England can hope for. I aint judging it on todays game.  I'm looking at 2002 - 2006.  England cannot compete technically againts good sides. Oh and considering set pieces is Englands best chance of scoring shows what a joke the side is. lack of skill, guile and genuine creativity.
puroresu

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:16 am

puroresu wrote:Same old story with England. This so called great midfield or "best midfield in the world" cannot keep possesion. Every time England play a half decent side they cant keep the ball. Its pathetic and the reality is Englands players are overrated. Blaming it on the heat is just a joke. Listen you stupid players, everyone has to play in the heat and you are supposed to be at peak fitness condition. 2010 has a World Cup in South Africa, where its even warmer, so prepare your excuses now. Its simple,if u keep the ball you dont have to run as much as the ball does the work. If u give away the ball u have to chase to get it back using more energy. Its quite simple really.  This so called world class midfield also played in portugal in 2004 and Portugal totally dominated as once again Englands so called great midfield could not keep the ball.  Maradonna said Englands players have square feet and he aint wrong.  Sven cant make the players keep the ball and I think people need to stop believing the hype.  Technically the players are not good enough and until things change at grass roots level that will always be the case.  QF is the best England can hope for. I aint judging it on todays game.  I'm looking at 2002 - 2006.  England cannot compete technically againts good sides. Oh and considering set pieces is Englands best chance of scoring shows what a joke the side is. lack of skill, guile and genuine creativity.

You raise some good points, heat is not an excuse and we did give the ball away far too many times. However to say the England players as a whole are tactically inept is just laughable really. We have a squad of very good players, fact, not fiction. With Gerrard you have the most complete player in the world, fact. We have players like Terry who aren't the most techincally gifted but are good solid players. You don't need a whole squad of players to be techincally superior, you need to be able to do your job well and pull off win.

I think the only tehcincally poor person in the England camp is Sven Goran Eriksson.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:21 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I think Sven, the f*cking bell-end, should swap Stevie and Fat Frank around vs Trinidad and Tobago, and see how the belly likes holding the show together while his "partner" tries to take the glory at every f*cking moment.
If the chubby tw*t knew what "teamwork" was, we'd probably have come out with 4 or 5 goals today, instead of 1, as the whole team pivots on the CM positions.

The thing with Swapping Gerrard and Lampard around it means we have less cover for our defence. Lampard cannot defend he's always relied on a defensive midfielder behind him to do all the work, whilst he roams freely around the pitch. The trouble with the Gerrard and Lampard partnership is the fact that both players are the main pivot in their clubs. Chelsea build the team around Lampard and give him the freedom to roam and Liverpool do that with Gerrard. So there's a clash between the two and that's why I don't think they can work together, they clash.

But Sven being inept will continue to play his favourites, I can see him being the fool that costs us our golden chance.  :(
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59 am

For me, yesterday highlighted everything that is wrong with the England set up at the moment.  Sven picks players on reputation rather than form and that really showed.  The midfield is where England nearly lost it.  It is blindingly obvious that Lampard-Gerrard does not work in a 4-4-2 without a defensive mid behind them.  I thought it would be effective enough against an average team like Paraguay but I was wrong.  Gerrard did his defensive duties well and Paraguay got little joy through the middle.  But Lampard was awful, Lando's assessment of him is spot on.  He didn't alter his game one bit yesterday (ie bombing forward all the time to take speculative long range shots and therefore ruining attacks), despite there only being one midfielder to cover him rather than the 2 he has at Chelsea.  This left loads of gaps in the middle third of the field and allowed Paraguay more possession than they should have.  Lampard's workrate for a centre mid is a disgrace and someone needs to have a word with him about it.

What is it with England midfielders looking for the money pass all the time?  Lampard and Beckham always look for the long pass and even the defence was playing it long at times.  Why?  Just keep possession a bit more and the chances will come, England have quality in every area, just be more patient FFS.

Then the substitutions.  Downing for Owen?  What?  Clearly Sven doesn't trust Walcott, it's blindingly obvious now and he knows he's made a mistake.  Hargreaves... as Drummerphil quite rightly said... why?  The lad's got nothing.

Christ I'm not even English but that game yesterday frustrated the hell out of me, no doubt the English fans will be a lot more disillusioned than me.  But 3 points is 3 points and with the other result yesterday I think England are already home and dry in that group.  On the brightside they can't play any worse so things must improve...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:40 am

john craig wrote:For me, yesterday highlighted everything that is wrong with the England set up at the moment.  Sven picks players on reputation rather than form and that really showed.  The midfield is where England nearly lost it.  It is blindingly obvious that Lampard-Gerrard does not work in a 4-4-2 without a defensive mid behind them.  I thought it would be effective enough against an average team like Paraguay but I was wrong.  Gerrard did his defensive duties well and Paraguay got little joy through the middle.  But Lampard was awful, Lando's assessment of him is spot on.  He didn't alter his game one bit yesterday (ie bombing forward all the time to take speculative long range shots and therefore ruining attacks), despite there only being one midfielder to cover him rather than the 2 he has at Chelsea.  This left loads of gaps in the middle third of the field and allowed Paraguay more possession than they should have.  Lampard's workrate for a centre mid is a disgrace and someone needs to have a word with him about it.

What is it with England midfielders looking for the money pass all the time?  Lampard and Beckham always look for the long pass and even the defence was playing it long at times.  Why?  Just keep possession a bit more and the chances will come, England have quality in every area, just be more patient FFS.

Then the substitutions.  Downing for Owen?  What?  Clearly Sven doesn't trust Walcott, it's blindingly obvious now and he knows he's made a mistake.  Hargreaves... as Drummerphil quite rightly said... why?  The lad's got nothing.

Christ I'm not even English but that game yesterday frustrated the hell out of me, no doubt the English fans will be a lot more disillusioned than me.  But 3 points is 3 points and with the other result yesterday I think England are already home and dry in that group.  On the brightside they can't play any worse so things must improve...

Agree totally.

Stevie and tubby clearly cannot play together in a 4-4-2.
If we're gonna persist with the formation, DROP Lampard and get Carrick in. Then we'll see what Stevie can do for England then.

And we absolutely have to get it into Beckham's skull that he has to stay on the right unless he's taking a free kick or corner. The Kunt's farking up our midfield shape every time he's runs about posing as a box-to-box CM.

And I swear this has nothing to do with Red-tinted glasses.... but we need to drop corn-on the-cobhead..... JC is miles better.....  :veryangry  :veryangry
ConnO'var

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:17 pm

The way I look at it, is that we were really poor yesterday and to be honest I come to expect this from England. They always play the same 'couple of passes and then a long ball'. Solid enough in defence but like somebody else said no guile or creativty in the midfiled. Agreed that Lampard and Gerrard dont work, Lampards not fit to lace Stevies boots. Yet its Stevies game that gets nulified covering for the Chelsea man.
But then again it would be easier for Sven if he actually had a quality holding mid to pick, so that Stevie gets that free role.

But heres a quick question to all non English Liverpool loving fans who love to knock England.

If that was Liverpool in a CL group game, would you all be telling us that was a proffesional performance job well done. Won when we didnt play well and all that  ?

If you wouldnt say that, I'd say you sound like the bitters across the park  :cool:
66-1112520797

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Bamaga man wrote:But heres a quick question to all non English Liverpool loving fans who love to knock England.

If that was Liverpool in a CL group game, would you all be telling us that was a proffesional performance job well done. Won when we didnt play well and all that  ?

I think I see what you're getting at with that question Bamaga.  First of all though I want to make it clear that I want England to do well in the tournament, you seem awful defensive if anyone non-English expresses any sort of opinion on the England team.  I wasn't trying to knock them, just giving an honest assessment on what I saw yesterday.

To answer your question I'd say no, I wouldn't be happy if that because it actually wasn't a professional performance.  Players like Beckham and Lampard did not carry out the defensive part of their game properly, now you can hardly call that professional.  Would I be happy with the result?  Of course, as I previously said 3 points is 3 points, and as much as I hate him, Gary Neville hit the nail on the head the other day when he said the world cup is a 'results tournament'.

The other point is that you are comparing that to a Liverpool CL game, which is actually a bad analogy.  Tournament football is very different.  If a team has an off week in the CL, then you can say, all right, we got away with it now we have 2 weeks til the next CL game to get things sorted.  England don't have 2 weeks til their next game, which is why I'd be more concerned.  But also as I said before I don't think they can play any worse than that and hopefully that's their worst performance out of their system and they can go from strength to strength.  Although I'd have a lot more faith in them if they had a manager who is not tactically-inept.  Not meaning to cause offence, but Sven doesn't seem to have a clue and it could cost England in this tournament.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion