England v paraguay unofficial thread - For all you who do support the english

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:03 pm

Big Niall wrote:I think there are also some long term problems in the English game. For a great footballing nation NEVER to travelled to any tournament (world cup or European cup) and made a single final is proof. I think the fact that only two of the squad play in another league combined with the fact that there isn't really another league as fast and furious as the English one (a bit more technical and patient) is a major problem.

Allthough nobody wants to see their best players go to another league I don't see England becoming world champs until they do

You raise good points, but perhaps if Sven played to England's strenghts and not this continental style we would do a lot, lot better. He tries to impliment English players in a continental style and I'm not sure if that works or not. However you raise a good point, but with so much money in the EPL would you want to take a wage cut and change leagues?
48-1119859832

Postby kobashi » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:45 pm

0asis wrote:
Big Niall wrote:I think there are also some long term problems in the English game. For a great footballing nation NEVER to travelled to any tournament (world cup or European cup) and made a single final is proof. I think the fact that only two of the squad play in another league combined with the fact that there isn't really another league as fast and furious as the English one (a bit more technical and patient) is a major problem.

Allthough nobody wants to see their best players go to another league I don't see England becoming world champs until they do

You raise good points, but perhaps if Sven played to England's strenghts and not this continental style we would do a lot, lot better. He tries to impliment English players in a continental style and I'm not sure if that works or not. However you raise a good point, but with so much money in the EPL would you want to take a wage cut and change leagues?

Thats a fantastic point.  The fact that England have never got to a final other than 66 shows that the problems start at the bottom. I remember Chris Waddle talking about kids in England not being allowed to express themselves, and not allowed to try things and make mistakes.  A great example was "Kids are in Europe are always taught when they get the ball the 1st thing they should be looking for is a pass no matter where they are or how much pressure they are under.  Just kicking it forward isnt accepted.  Now in England if a Defender is in his own box and under some pressure clearing it is accepted even if a pass is on."

Also I agree that Englands lack of playersplaying in Europe learning new things also hurts England.  You only need to see how sides like France, the Chezch's, the Dutch all benefit hugely from players playing at home and abroad.

Also do u notice how the to Spanish, Italian, English sides will scout Europe to try and steal the hottest young talent.  However how many Spanish and Italian sides try and steal England's young talent?  Doesnt happen.  Generally I think Europe doesnt believe English players are the right option.  Whether it be cos of ability or as we all know attitude.  'Drink culture'
kobashi

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:08 am

My first day of football for the local club (aged 9) I was told "you're big, you're centre back, don't pass the half way line and when you get the ball kick it far as you can up the pitch" I then played centre back the rest of my days.

And people wonder why Ireland have never won the world cup :D

I think many of the team do have the ability but just lack the experience of how to play against "the foreign way"
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:56 am

Big Niall wrote:My first day of football for the local club (aged 9) I was told "you're big, you're centre back, don't pass the half way line and when you get the ball kick it far as you can up the pitch" I then played centre back the rest of my days.

And people wonder why Ireland have never won the world cup :D

I think many of the team do have the ability but just lack the experience of how to play against "the foreign way"

:D

I think the problem with England and English players is the fact we never keep the ball, keep posession enough. It's as you say "get the ball and hoof up to the target man".

We also play this really quick tempo which is good but it's not always the solution. Some teams take 70 minutes to break down, and if you're hoofing the ball uptop all the time and constantly bombing down the field, you'll never break the team down. You'll just waste posession of the ball.

You don't need to be tehincally superior to everyone else to win matches and win trophies but need to be able to mix up play. England can't do that, all we do is, hoof the ball up the park, bomb down the pitch, which works sometimes but when it doesn't and the team prove to be a uphill struggle there is no plan b for us. England will never win the World Cup until they are able to hold the ball better, being more patient and waiting and creating space, also mixing up tempo against different opposition and more importantly having a team that works as a full unit, as well as having all the players gelled as a unit, by playing them together in friendles and qualifers.

Oh and practising penalties, I find it deeply amusing when ppl say you can't practise penalties, they're not really part of the match or "the pressure is different, compared to training". If that's the case why have training at all? Why not do what Shankly did all them years ago and just tell the lads " Don't over indulge on food and drink and come back in a weeks time for the match" :laugh:. Penalties are no more pressurized than the actual match itself.

I don't know about Ireland but I'd imagine you are in a similar boat to us?
48-1119859832

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:38 pm

The Irish boat is similar but with a lot less talent at this moment in time-I expect the next decade to be bleak.

I always find the English attitude of not practicing penalties amazing as why would golfers practice putting if they can't recreate the pressure. What do you get worse at from practicing. Just seems unprofessional.

The thing about fast football is that fans like it, the premiership is the most exciting league in the world but you become a one trick poney if that is all you've ever played in. Foreigners coming into the league have helped on the technical side (think how rubbish England were in the 1970s/80s) but there is a grass roots problem. At Ajax parents aren't allowed make any noise during childrens matches as only the coaches should be heard.

Also there is no way a defender at underage level in Ireland (and I assume England too) would try something new/take a risk as if a mistake costs the game , the manager slaughters you.

Personally - I think 6 a side until under 15s on obviously smaller pitches would be great as it would mean that each child would actually have twice as much time on the ball as they do in 11 aside. Even have some games that don't allow the ball to be kicked above a certain height to encourage passing and movement.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:46 pm

Big Niall wrote:Personally - I think 6 a side until under 15s on obviously smaller pitches would be great as it would mean that each child would actually have twice as much time on the ball as they do in 11 aside. Even have some games that don't allow the ball to be kicked above a certain height to encourage passing and movement.

How do you work that one out ?

Smaller pitch, less players, quicker game and close control means kids would have to think quicker and play quicker which is a good thing.
66-1112520797

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion