WIGAN VS LIVERPOOL - Lets look forward not back,

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:17 am

Sabre wrote:Well, I'm going to disagree. It's time I make a shout the "He's just not suited to Premiership football" issue. I hope you'll enjoy the discussion because that's the fun part of forums, anyway. :)

I've seen the first part now. Min 23, Morientes is looking to Gerrard expecting his pass, he doesn't see Fowler's run and starts a wrong run, offside. A mistake that can be seen nearly in every game of every week in the Calcio, in the EPL and in the Liga.

And the commentator of the FOX, quickly reveals us something that every guy that knows a bit of football knows "That's Morientes fault, he's seeing all the defence line, he can't do that run" , which is true, and I agree, and just after that he says that "Morientes hasn't adapted to the EPL". Which I disagree, he just made a mistake. What he didn't say and is also obvious as the first great revelation is that Gerrard waited too long to give that pass, which is also a fact that I think many would agree.

The fact you make a mistake doesn't mean you're not adapted, it's just that you've made a mistake, if you make a lot of them, you're in a bad form, end of. I just wouldn't say that Kewell is not adapted to a top league, or to la liga, just because today he crossed one ball and went far beyond the second post, it's just a mistake.

The "Let's bash Morientes Empire" (I'm just from the  "camp" defending Morientes, we are few in numbers :D ) say that Fowler was in the box in the positions where a forward is supposed to move to. Probably Morientes would gladly do that if he wasn't instructed to go down to ask for the ball, by Rafa.  He does that dirty task for a forward, and in that task of holding the ball against a pressing opponent it's quite normal to give some balls away, IMHO. He also made a decent volley, and a good combination with Fowler, that ended in a decent cross and a decent header of Fowler.

My first  point, in the "Morientes is not that :censored:" camp, we believe that it might be fair to say that Morientes was not good enough, but definitely not awful.

My second point, The EPL is one of the best and one of my favourites, but football is football, and I think that there's too much hype about the difficulty to adapt to the EPL. Alonso is not pacy, and he didn't tackle that well back in Spain, but he adapted quickly, if you see what I mean. Class is class. Morientes is not in his best form, but that doesn't mean he would never make it in England. Honest.

I also consider the reviews of some of my mates of Fowler's game benevolent. I like that, since I'm always patient with the players that are just arrived. But hey, don't be so harsh with Mori, I'm also dissapointed that he doesn't score that much, but if Crouch had some protection when he wasn't scoring (and I was among those protectors), I think Morientes deserves more moderated critics. :)

Now I'm ready to be footballistically flamed. :laugh:

Gerrard waited the pass perfectly for Fowler who had made a superb run.

Morientes made a mistake and it was clearly as a result of a lack of confidence. A confident Morientes is intelligent enough to see that situation and stop, lacking confidence rational thought and natural things don't happen. You over compensate and phuck things up.

What i do agree with 100% is that it wasn't down to adaptability reasons. Anyone can make a mistake.

I also agree with you saying Fowler and Nando linked well. I thought they shown promise, but Nando needs to sharpen up and toughen up. He's got the brains and he's got the technical ability, physically he's very average and this lets him down and i question his mental toughness. I think part of the mental toughness is down to confidence, or rather a lack of...

Fowler is a similar player to Raul and i think a fully fit and fully condfident Morientes upfront with Fowler in the same condition could be absoloutely lethal.

The statement about adapting to the league is also spot on in my opinion. If you've got it, you adapt, if not, you don't. The right qualities are essential, only good players have the right qualities.

Fowler played well today Sabre, his link up and use of the ball was impressive and he worked hard. He didn't really have a chance all game, he set Morientes up though and we all know what Fowler's record is like against Arsenal so it would be a perfect game for him.

Its like Owen against Newcastle, all strikers have clubs they score bucket fulls against... Fowler's teams are Arsenal and Villa...

Rafa... take this into account on tuesday mate. :D
115-1073096938

Postby red_guy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:21 am

Dundalk wrote:Im looking forward to the arsenal game but im really worried were the goals are going to come from

Same here. Worried about our strikers crisis. MAybe we should start with agger  and use Hyypia as our new striker?  :D
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:53 am

Dundalk wrote:Im looking forward to the arsenal game but im really worried were the goals are going to come from

Robbie Fowler has scored 12 times in 13 starts against Arsenal.

He hit the Premiership’s fastest ever hat-trick at four minutes 32 seconds against the Gunners.

Hope that eases your fears. :D

During the 90's i think he only lost to Arsenal once as a Liverpool player aswell. :)
115-1073096938

Postby liverpooll » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:25 am

liverpooll

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:14 am

In summer, we are going to have to sell Morientes. He's just not suited to Premiership football. I only hope he can do something in the Champions League, which might be more to his liking. His finishing also has been incredibly poor since he joined us. I don't know how much we will get for him.

I agree. When he played I always hope that he score but he just cant score. If others club prepare 5m , i would very happy .

Same goes with Cisse who we are going to have to sell too. He's got pace, but little control and his finishing is also poor.

As for Cisse , I still have fate in him. He have already score more than 7 goals this season. He need to play more game up front NOT as RM.I think if he played yesterday with RF , he scored.

Hope that in the next match he and RF will play in 1st eleven.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:17 am

Worried about our strikers crisis.

I also worry but more worries about RAFA decision on why he still played Mori when Mori is NOT scoring GOALS .
LiverpoolMadman

Postby babu » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:45 am

wee_boi888 wrote:
babu wrote:Man Wigan play nice football with the players they have. Just got back from the pub and well done the 'pool. Samy's goal was amazing. Can't remmeber his last goal of the foot.

How could you forget his Volley against Juve!!!!

yup i remmeber now. thanks   :)

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:58 am

GOAT wrote:A bit of random yet hilarious info for you... if you go on google and type everton arent sh.it it says Did you mean: everton ARE sh.it  :D  :laugh:

:bowdown
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:43 am

Nothing worrying man. It doesn't matter the striker score or not,we still have a powerful-looking midfield lineup. If our strikers still seeking their boots, rafa has his own answer. :)

p/s : Hyypia to start scoring spree. :D
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby Gareth G » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:03 pm

I think some people are worrying too much for the Arsenal game, remember how inconsistant they have been of late and the fact they have a back line of youngster's who are making bad mistakes and judgement, not to mention their clown of a 'keeper. I'm not saying it will be a walk over by any mean's, but we'll have plenty of chance's to score, that's for sure.

As for our striker discussion, I'd like to see Cisse givin a run of start's to see what he can do. I honestly believe if he can get a run he'll put a few away and gain confidence, he always look's the most likely to score when he's on. I say give him and Fowler the nod to start a few game's together.

I still stand by my thought's on Morientes, if any striker is going in the summer, it need's to be him.
Last edited by Gareth G on Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:09 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:
Worried about our strikers crisis.

I also worry but more worries about RAFA decision on why he still played Mori when Mori is NOT scoring GOALS .

You are a complete and utter fool.

How old are you? Are you a child or do you just lack intelligence?
115-1073096938

Postby Sabre » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:50 pm

Stu, you're an excellent midfielder with great football vision, but as a coach I would like to remind you that you already have a yellow card, so tackle more moderately :D I do want you in the starting eleven next week!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:32 pm

very very important result on saturday. first half i thought we were completely in control of the game. second half the lad teale had a field day against riise down their right hand side. in the end we were pretty much holding on but i'll take it. in all fairness the pitch didn't help one bit.

it was a good day though. i went to see chelsea get drubbed by boro aswell. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:39 pm

Sabre wrote:

Stu, you're an excellent midfielder with great football vision, but as a coach I would like to remind you that you already have a yellow card, so tackle more moderately :D I do want you in the starting eleven next week!

Sabre you know what i'm like mate, its all passion.

If the lad gives me a sight of the ball i'm going to try an win it. I actually have two yellow cards before my suspension, i'll give it my all in every game as always. I'm hopefully of at least one of them being recinded soon anyway!

Actually on the pitch... i've only been booked once this season for a late tackle... :cool: 4 bookings in two seasons... Good goin for me that. :D
115-1073096938

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games