WIGAN VS LIVERPOOL

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby laza » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:35 am

devaney » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:17 pm wrote:3 pages after a match like that. Not a lot to moan about I suppose!

Incredible isnt it
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:35 am

devaney » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:17 am wrote:3 pages after a match like that. Not a lot to moan about I suppose!

Was just thinking the same thing haha...

Wigan was poor almost coming to blows with each other but lots of positives & goals, clean sheet, Reina made some good saves, Coutinho looks promising.

And all this with no Sturridge.

Well done lads.
killerp

Postby Boocity » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 am

killerp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:35 am wrote:
devaney » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:17 am wrote:3 pages after a match like that. Not a lot to moan about I suppose!

Was just thinking the same thing haha...

Wigan was poor almost coming to blows with each other but lots of positives & goals, clean sheet, Reina made some good saves, Coutinho looks promising.

And all this with no Sturridge.

Well done lads.

Every time we humble a team, Norwich, Fulham, Swansea, Wigan, many journo's seem to want to qualify the results by saying the opposition was poor, why are these teams so poor playing against us? isn't it that we are making them look poor? Credit were credits due, the team played well and we have been dominant in many other games against more illustrious opponents without getting the results we deserved, a little more self belief and less defensive errors that were punished and we would have a few more big wins under our belts.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 am

laza » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:35 am wrote:
devaney » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:17 pm wrote:3 pages after a match like that. Not a lot to moan about I suppose!

Incredible isnt it

The wind up merchants have nothing to talk about when we win
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:41 am

Delighted with the win although against the limpest Wigan side I've ever seen although I thought we were sometimes sloppy with some aspects of our play and at 3-0 up we let them off the hook when a proper demolition was on the cards .

Overall however we were impressive, Coutino in particular caught the my eye, can't wait to watch him again.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:10 am

Terrific performance yesterday but as usual some tabloids hell bent raining on the
parade by highlighting how Wigan were 'below par'.

We destroyed them with good football and no one is ever below par against the Mancs
or the other leading lights in the Premiership.

Heres hoping we can keep up this good work.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:22 am

good result yesterday, especially in the first half, Suarez and Coutinho where excellent in particular. Was slightly disappointed with the approach in the second half though, after getting the 4th goal i think it would have been a good opportunity to bring on the likes of Assaidi and Suso in a comfortable game to get them some valuable minutes and really go out and destroy Wigan, who were offering absolutely nothing at all. But that a minor grievance and its good to see us scoring regularly again, especially without Sturridge in out team.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:17 pm

i know this is being very picky but in some ways i was slightly dissappointed with the performance, i thought we let them have too much of the ball and i`m not convinced allen and lucas work as a partnership, i`d much rather have just one of those in the side alongside gerrard and hendo. i think we hold onto the ball better with hendo in the side.
i hope brendan isnt trying to shoehorn allen in there because he spent £15m on him.
suarez, coutinho and downing looked like they were going to open wigan up practically every time we ventured forward and thats why it`s dissappointing that our midfield never dominated the ball, i think we could have ran up a cricket score there if we had a bit more control of the midfield.
the scoreline was impressive but on another day wigan could have scored 2 or 3 goals themselves.
the worrying thing is that their chances came from bog standard percentage balls lobbed into our area and i`m not being funny but those types of crosses should be bread and butter to any centre halves worthy of the name but for some reason we just cant seem to deal with them.
we were lucky not to be one down within the first minute after carragher misjudged a cross.
that needs to be addressed in the summer.
overall it was a good victory at a tough ground but it wasnt a perfect performance by any means.
hopefully next week against spurs rodgers will bring sturridge and hendo back into the side.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedHands » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Agree. Our vulnerability against high balls is worrying. I hope Allen makes way for Henderson next week. I think Rogers had a little bit of a selection dilemma between Downing and Coutinho. Coutinho offers much more going forward but Downing will put in a better shift defensively. It will be interesting to see who he goes with. I'd start Coutinho
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:29 am

another decent display, clean sheet and 4 goals. coutinho was impressive, played well going forward but although he did track back i wasnt convinced he actually can tackle. but a great promising display from him.
suarez was fantastic yet again, never gives up and can be as live as a coked up duracell bunny. absolutely our best player.
reina deserves a shout for pulling off a few saves that were quality.
they were a poor side and were even fighting with each other but all you can do is beat whats in front of you and we did what you should do to a bad side and thats beat them 4.0.
for the spurs match id have hendo in for allen and sturridge in for downing or coutinho.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 am

Interesting to note that young James McCarthy was previously linked with us. Didn't see the game live - was he up to much?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Entourage » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Great performace and great performace from the fans as well. I could't make it to the game so had to watch from home but the Red Mist looks bloody brilliant in HD haha.

Coutinho first half was a joy to watch, looks a very intelligent player! I said to my Dad before the game we'll either lose 1-0 today or we'll thrash them, and yeah Pepe has made a few brilliant saves but we thrashed them. Such a good performance!

There's no point in writing about Luis Suarez anymore, we all know how good he is and how much we all love him, nothing will shock me now on what that man can do on a Football pitch. Best Liverpool FC footballer since Dalglish?

Just hope now we can carry on with his form and give Spurs a good game on Sunday, they don't scare me like United and City can when they come to Anfield and I'll always think we can beat Spurs. Win on Sunday will be the first time this season we have won three in a row in the League.
Entourage
LFC Basic Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:41 pm

The best away game I've been all season and one of the best of all my time watching LFC away from Anfield - The atmosphere was terrific from start to finish as you just sensed the traveling support were in party mood. It's no use saying why isn't the support like that for Home games, it just isn't and we are the poorer for it.

I took my 8 Yr old and his ticket cost £10 (mine £28) so lets hope sense is starting to prevail on prices although I suspect on this occasion we benefited from Wigan's sensible pricing of tickets

4 Goals
3 from Suarez
3 World class saves from Reina
3 Flares set the night sky alight with a red glow and whilst the health and safety brigade will no doubt frown the one that went off near us made my 8 year old night ! :)

It will be a travesty if Luis Suarez does not get one of the PFA writers or Footballer Of The Season awards because his performances have been on a different planet but you have more chance of Ryan Giggs staying faithful to his Mrs than Luis getting anything from the Spineless FA !

Me and my lad will talk about this game for years to come and for that I'm very thankful !

Walk on ..............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:38 am

excellent game based on the highlights I managed to catch. Going forward we're starting to look like a team to worry the upper echelons of the world again, not there yet and I think it's pretty obvious that all the people we're not really impressed with will be stocking fillers in the next season or two. Good solid squad players with seemingly little ego, but not the game changers we need.
The take away for us all should be the impact that one new good player can have on the team and the balance. Add Sturridge and a few of the team look rejuvenated. Add Coutinho as well and ditto. It's impossible to judge the whole team fairly when we clearly have had a lot of imbalance throughout the season, indeed one player can knock your whole rhythm off.  To that point, I look to the defense where we have been dodgy all season and Reina has had a bad rap too. He showed his talent yesterday and his hunger and I think more of the problems come from the centre 2 in front of him not being up to much this year, whichever the combination. This affects the backs as well and if we can find the right replacements in the summer, we should be looking quite interesting.

Again, anyone complaining we haven't made progress this season needs to re-evaluate. The shoots of recovery are there to  see. Long may it continue.
Homebooby

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games