http://news.bbc.co.uk/media...._bb.ram
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:41 pm

Dudek and Hyppiä men of the match today.

Fowler played really well also I just wish that Morientes would have stopped running after the same ball as Fowler so he could have scored.

Morientes had a really awful game today the only good thing he really did was when he threw himself after the cross from Kewell and almost scored. Did he win one duel in the air today?
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby gato_busta » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:19 pm

Morientes didn't seem really motivated today, I am a big fan of his but it seems he has lost his passion as of late. Fowler had a great game, that cross for Morientes was perfect, he was contantly running after balls and putting others into play. Can't wait for him to be fully fit and make his first goal since his return.

It was not a nice game but one thing I noticed is that we had 7 attempts on goal of which only one was off target. In the last games we have had more attempts on goal yet very few on target. Hope they keep that up, I was getting tired of everyone getting close to the area and then kicking the ball into the stands.

PS: liverpoolmadman, you may have more posts than most of the people in the forum but one liners saying "cisse should play" hardly count as posts.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby JBG » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:26 pm

A win is a win is a win, especially after not winning the previous 3.

There's nothing much wrong with us except the obvious: the forwards aren't scoring, but I think that will sort itself out eventually, although I don't see any of our forwards shattering records this season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Robbie Fowler is Back » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:50 pm

Our forwards not scoring today again, raises even more worries, depsite the win.

I dont think that Crouch, Moro and Cisse have scored in 2006. Is this correct?

next 10 days will tell us a lot........Arsenal, MAn Utd, and Benfica.
Robbie Fowler is Back

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Fowler did well I thought, and though he's as slow as a carthorse it was lovely to see one of our forwards actually show for the ball and run into the areas that forwards are supposed to. By virtue of that fact, Id play him again against Arsenal.
Morientes was absolutely desperate. He wouldn't get a game with any other team in the top 2/3 of the Premiership and with him, it really is time to bite the bullet. Cisse has so little appreciation of how the game is played it's astonishing for a bloke who gets coached five days a week. I can only assume that he is lacking in any intelligence at all because the concepts which he would need to grasp to improve 200% are actually remarkably simple. There was one incident in the second half where Hamman was approaching him with the ball and Cisse came towards him, stopped, went on the half turn and actually caused Didi to change direction in case he ran into him. Absolutely incredible.

The 200% concept is quite simple. About 100 years ago when I was a centre-half, you could always tell a bloke who had a clue, had been taught a bit within the first two minutes of the game. He didn't need to touch the ball even, you could tell by the way he moved. It is forever thus. If you have a son or a nephew who is a striker tell him the 200% concept. NEVER WHEN AT THE POINT OF ATTACK, STAND IN THE LINE OF SIGHT OF THE BLOKE THAT IS MARKING YOU. There, simple. Don't allow the centre-half to look over your shoulder at the ball, because that's when he's most comfortable. If Cisse could learn that when a teammate approaches him with the ball he needs to trot backwards by five yards, out of the line of sight with the centre half, to "open the door for the pass" as I call it then he'd be a different player. Pongolle did it against Luton in the cup. When Riise has it at left-full back Cisse shows, but when it gets fed down the line to Kewell he needs to track back into the centre away from the ball. As Kewll squares it to Alonso Cisse needs to be on his very fast bike back towards the left-wing waiting to be fed in. Jesus with Cisse's pace he should be nigh on impossible to defend against when you have a team like ours who have so much posession and then you have midfielders with the viision ours have. He needs to realise that his pace can be utilized in many different ways and the ball straight through and over the top is not always on.

Think about it. You're playing centre half and marking player X. What do you want him to do? Stand and watch the ball so you can stand nehind him and watch him and the ball at the same time. At the professional level they would also know that Cisse is all right foot so would stand behind him and slightly to the left soas to negate the chance of him taking it on the turn. Put a screener infront of the back four (Makeleli for instance) and bingo, if Cisse doesn't learn when to move you'll never ever feed him in. Jeez I reckon give me half an hour and unless the blokes a retard I could teach him myself.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:18 pm

Fowler does look good up front....but does that show how good he is, or how bad all our strikers are?  :glare:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rastalovich » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:19 pm

el_stinger wrote:
Red wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
Rastalovich wrote:Is Mellor playing ?

You obviously live under a rock lol  :D

But you have brought a smile to my face.

pff i think you do mellor is onloan at wigan.

now that brought a smile to my face :p

I thought you can't play against your own club if you are on loan, should have made myself clearer in my previous post.....

:D

Thanks for making me waste my 1000th post for that, lol.

:p

From under my rock, I do believe it depends on `arrangements`, particularly if u`re on load-to-move.

1000 posts, 999 equally wasted ?

ps. thank god for Sami, maybe he should play upfront with Robbie.
Bill Shankly: (About the This-is-Anfield plaque)
"This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
Rastalovich

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:25 pm

3 POINTS IS 3 POINTS!!!

Robbie showed enthusiasm and signs that he is on the right road... his reaction when subbed was encouraging too, it showed how much he wants to prove himself.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:40 pm

7_Kewell wrote:Fowler does look good up front....but does that show how good he is, or how bad all our strikers are?  :glare:

Unfortunately it's the second option. When the ball is in an advanced position, a strikers job is to be open (ie in a position to recieve the ball in a potential goalscoring area) as often as possible. If you watch Crespo when the ball goes down the line, he goes near post (covered), ducks out back post (semi covered) and darts back in near post (open open open!!!!) as the cross comes in. Now when you're watching strikers, you know blokes like Crespo will always score goals because he gets himself open in the box so often. Now today, Fowlere was open twice in the first half for passes in from Gerrard. The first time Gerrard didn't get the cross past the first man and the second time he shouldn't actually have taken the pass on and should have had a go himself. The conclusion is that Fowler will score goals given a run in the team.
Contrast with Morientes who only got open once, and even then not through his own doing. The chance he got was as a result of a defence splitting early cross (from Fowler) which caught the opposition offguard and found Morientes in space. He didn't find the space himself.
Similarly the one where Fowler got played in but Morientes encroached and was given offside was as a result of very clever anticipatory running from Fowler. He knows that he will never outpace anybody so his only chance of scoring from such a situation is if he gives himself some room soas not to go offside and guesses where and when the ball will be played to give himself a headstart. He will score goals.
People on the telly and on here often say that the reason that Morientes and Crouch don't score more is because we don't cross it often enough from wde or rather with not enough quality. I disagree with this also as neither man takes up positions which would suggest they would score however it is crossed. Both fill the space in the area far too quickly and early in the piece and try and jump for it froma standing start. Neither gets thenmselves open anywhere near often enough. Neither will score regularly, in the case of Morientes hardly ever at all.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:55 pm

Good posts Mick and 100% spot on.

When people say Fowler will score from crosses etc i know i'm saying he'll get chances down to anticipation, unlike Morientes and Crouch. Just you described it better... :D

Had Morientes had confidence today i think he'd have stopped his run which led to him being called offside. Fowler shown quality to get that far ahead of the defence in that he started his run very early in order to gain momentum to get himself into that position.

After watching Robbie today, all those idiots who said he's well past it, not as good as Sissy, Crouch, Vassell and Cole etc can shove there "opinions" up there backside. The lad looked the exact same player he did when he scored 17 goals in the treble season.

His link up play with Morientes in particular and when he put Gerrard through in the second half was superb. We need to get the best out of him now... Then we'll be back in business.
115-1073096938

Postby matrix » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:58 pm

There was one incident in the second half where Hamman was approaching him with the ball and Cisse came towards him, stopped, went on the half turn and actually caused Didi to change direction in case he ran into him. Absolutely incredible.

sounds comical bigmick  its hard to believe were talking about a player who will be going to the world cup with france  ???

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:13 pm

I recall that incident too Mick, couldn't believe my eye's, he looked like he didn't have a clue which way to run, and most likely didn't. However, I think if there's any striker's leaving this summer, it need's to be Morientes, he's bloody awful! He has no sense of anticipation, something he could really use givin his total lack of pace, it really frustrates me that someone can be so slow to react to a loose ball in the way he does. Morientes just look's very uncommited to me, he definitely doesn't warrent a start over Cisse in my opinion, he also has a worse scoring record than Cisse with far more time on the pitch. Not only that, but some of his passes are pathetic, I've lost count of how many time's he broke our own attack down with a laboured style pass, he simply need's to go.

On another striker note, I would liked to have seen Pongolle givin more oportunities. He add's more to the team than both Morientes and Cisse combined probably, I can't understand why he isn't getting chances ( before he went on loan ). In my opinion he done enough to get a fair crack, but instead the lathargic Morientes get's picked continuelly.
Last edited by Gareth G on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games