WIGAN VS LIVERPOOL - Lets look forward not back,

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby JBG » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:14 pm

bigmick wrote:People on the telly and on here often say that the reason that Morientes and Crouch don't score more is because we don't cross it often enough from wde or rather with not enough quality. I disagree with this also as neither man takes up positions which would suggest they would score however it is crossed. Both fill the space in the area far too quickly and early in the piece and try and jump for it froma standing start. Neither gets thenmselves open anywhere near often enough. Neither will score regularly, in the case of Morientes hardly ever at all.

So where did Morientes 30 odd goals for Spain come from?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:30 pm

JBG wrote:So where did Morientes 30 odd goals for Spain come from?

JBG it's a complete mystery to me I've got to say. He is so bad at the moment I'm surprised he's ever been a success anywhere in his career.
That he undoubtedly has is without question, though not being a student of his past I couldn't in all honesty put my finger on where exactly the deterioration has been most apparant.
I've got to stress here that I don't think he's off form or not quite doing it or anything, I think he's absolutely terrible, woeful, a disaster. His sole contribution to the first half today was to get offside when Fowler was clean through and deny him the opportunity to score, and to have a shot unluckily saved. His influence on games is absolutely negligable. I would go with Cisse at the moment because even if he doesn't do anything at all (and lets face it, he usually doesn't) his mere presence offers a threat.
I ask you. Forget about if we had Van Nistelroy and Rooney. What if we had Harewood and Zamora/Ashton. What if we had Roberts and Camara? or Mido and Defoe? This is THE issue which we need to sort out, because at the moment we have a good team with absolutely no goal threat unless the midfielders/defenders do something.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luvliverpool » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:40 pm

I have said it several times but we should be trying to buy Marek Mintal, he will do the business for us especially with a fully fit fowler (If RAFA decides to keep him nxt season)
Anfield The Home And Heart Of Football
luvliverpool

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:05 pm

luvliverpool wrote:I have said it several times but we should be trying to buy Marek Mintal, he will do the business for us especially with a fully fit fowler (If RAFA decides to keep him nxt season)

marek mintal is a midfielder, but he did score 20 goals in the bundasliga (sp?) in germany from midfield.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luvliverpool » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:13 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
luvliverpool wrote:I have said it several times but we should be trying to buy Marek Mintal, he will do the business for us especially with a fully fit fowler (If RAFA decides to keep him nxt season)

marek mintal is a midfielder, but he did score 20 goals in the bundasliga (sp?) in germany from midfield.

Yip and thats double the amount we have had from our strikers........he would be good behind Robbie with Pool playing 4-5-1
Anfield The Home And Heart Of Football
luvliverpool

Postby ynwa » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:14 am

was it me or did gerrard did not seem 100% fit. he did not seem himselve i would save him the gooners and the man u game. im glad to see fowler getting his first start. did not catch catch the second half as i had to work how did they play the mighty reds
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:27 am

So where did Morientes 30 odd goals for Spain come from?

Some players does not fit to EPL. Mori might good in RM and Monaco but very awful in EPL. Cant remember when he's last score for Liverpool?

I dont care if he'a a "blue eye boy" for Rafa, He is a striker , he played more game than Cisse ( as a striker ) and he's "job" is to score goals if he cant, he has to go. ( good for Liverpool ).
LiverpoolMadman

Postby el_stinger » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:28 am

Rastalovich wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
Red wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
Rastalovich wrote:Is Mellor playing ?

You obviously live under a rock lol  :D

But you have brought a smile to my face.

pff i think you do mellor is onloan at wigan.

now that brought a smile to my face :p

I thought you can't play against your own club if you are on loan, should have made myself clearer in my previous post.....

:D

Thanks for making me waste my 1000th post for that, lol.

:p

From under my rock, I do believe it depends on `arrangements`, particularly if u`re on load-to-move.

1000 posts, 999 equally wasted ?

ps. thank god for Sami, maybe he should play upfront with Robbie.

I stated on page 3 or 4 that Mellor was not going to play due to his loan contract.

Who are you to say that my posts are wasted fella? Crawl back into your hole, id1ot!
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ynwa » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:29 am

i think mellor will be sold he is far down the pecking order
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:48 am

i think mellor will be sold he is far down the pecking order

He's a good young player but just no "right" for what Liverpool looking for .
LiverpoolMadman

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:52 am

In summer, we are going to have to sell Morientes. He's just not suited to Premiership football. I only hope he can do something in the Champions League, which might be more to his liking. His finishing also has been incredibly poor since he joined us. I don't know how much we will get for him.

Same goes with Cisse who we are going to have to sell too. He's got pace, but little control and his finishing is also poor. We need clinical finishers. We need to spend and get either Owen or Defoe, both proven strikers in the Premiership. Of course, I'd like both, but that seems unrealistic. But one of them is required. They will be expensive, but that's the way it is. Use the money from the Cisse and Morientes sales to get one of them.

This coming summer, strikers are the essentials.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:54 am

Good to get the 3 points today and get back on track. i can see our performance improving for the arsenal game on tuesday.

A bit of random yet hilarious info for you... if you go on google and type everton arent sh.it it says Did you mean: everton ARE sh.it  :D  :laugh:
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:56 am

GOAT wrote:A bit of random yet hilarious info for you... if you go on google and type everton arent sh.it it says Did you mean: everton ARE sh.it  :D  :laugh:

:laugh:

Feckin quality :buttrock
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby Sabre » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:06 am

Well, I'm going to disagree. It's time I make a shout the "He's just not suited to Premiership football" issue. I hope you'll enjoy the discussion because that's the fun part of forums, anyway. :)

I've seen the first part now. Min 23, Morientes is looking to Gerrard expecting his pass, he doesn't see Fowler's run and starts a wrong run, offside. A mistake that can be seen nearly in every game of every week in the Calcio, in the EPL and in the Liga.

And the commentator of the FOX, quickly reveals us something that every guy that knows a bit of football knows "That's Morientes fault, he's seeing all the defence line, he can't do that run" , which is true, and I agree, and just after that he says that "Morientes hasn't adapted to the EPL". Which I disagree, he just made a mistake. What he didn't say and is also obvious as the first great revelation is that Hamman (not Gerrard, edited) waited too long to give that pass, which is also a fact that I think many would agree.

The fact you make a mistake doesn't mean you're not adapted, it's just that you've made a mistake, if you make a lot of them, you're in a bad form, end of. I just wouldn't say that Kewell is not adapted to a top league, or to la liga, just because today he crossed one ball and went far beyond the second post, it's just a mistake.

The "Let's bash Morientes Empire" (I'm just from the  "camp" defending Morientes, we are few in numbers :D ) say that Fowler was in the box in the positions where a forward is supposed to move to. Probably Morientes would gladly do that if he wasn't instructed to go down to ask for the ball, by Rafa.  He does that dirty task for a forward, and in that task of holding the ball against a pressing opponent it's quite normal to give some balls away, IMHO. He also made a decent volley, and a good combination with Fowler, that ended in a decent cross and a decent header of Fowler.

My first  point, in the "Morientes is not that cráp, we believe that it might be fair to say that Morientes was not good enough, but definitely not awful.

My second point, The EPL is one of the best and one of my favourites, but football is football, and I think that there's too much hype about the difficulty to adapt to the EPL. Alonso is not pacy, and he didn't tackle that well back in Spain, but he adapted quickly, if you see what I mean. Class is class. Morientes is not in his best form, but that doesn't mean he would never make it in England. Honest.

I also consider the reviews of some of my mates of Fowler's game benevolent. I like that, since I'm always patient with the players that are just arrived. But hey, don't be so harsh with Mori, I'm also dissapointed that he doesn't score that much, but if Crouch had some protection when he wasn't scoring (and I was among those protectors), I think Morientes deserves more moderated critics. :)

Now I'm ready to be footballistically flamed. :laugh:
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:13 am

Im looking forward to the arsenal game but im really worried were the goals are going to come from
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games