If we beat chelsea - And real betis beat andelecht....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:04 am

Although I spot on Lando on his post (Thank you Lando for teaching Street English, I've post a similar thought  in another thread!) Azriahmad have made some excellent points about how much will last the Clelski thingy with historical remarks. Reaching to the final may be comsequence of avoiding tough rivals, but first place do not warrant that. Porto was extremely lucky in that championship, so was Greece in the last european

I spot on Lando's proprosal for some reasons

* Some players of our squad do need minutes, and it would be a serious test

* Some of that players like Hamman, or Zenden would make a serious game , so we wouldn't receive a load of goals playing with 'em neither

* Playing like against Betis, we wouldn't make a ridiculous game there, I'd bet they'd had a tough game, and a good game with not the starting eleven would boost even more our morale

* We are qualified, it doesn't really matter to encounter Madrid or Lyonnaise, because yes, Lyonnaise is better now, but only God knows how will be those teams be in March, their form then might be completely different.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:59 am

That Porto team had the likes of Deco, Carvalho and Paulo Ferreira who are now playing at top European clubs, and are among the best players in their position in the world. They also had Maniche, Costinha and Nuno Valente who along with the aforementioned 3 made up the brunt of the Portugal team that made the final of Euro 2004. Add to that good support from players like Derlei, Alenichev, Jorge Costa and they had a team, which was worthy of winning the European Cup IMO.

As much as you dislike him, you have to admit that Mourinho’s achievement of winning the UEFA Cup and the CL in consecutive years was an incredible achievement, and the man is definitely one of the best manager’s in world football. When GH was sacked, I actually wanted Jose to be our new manger, but in hindsight I’m glad we have Rafa, who conducts himself with a lot more tact, and for this reason is probably respected than Mourinho ever will be. FWIW I think Rafa is more tactically astute that Jose is, whereas Mourinho is the better man manager and motivator of players.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vivabeti » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:40 am

who says that the chelsea is good?
vivabeti

Postby welshred » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:56 am

A draw against Sh*tski is definately achievable, but I'd rather use the game to bring experience to certain players, and give the usual starting 11 a well-earned rest.
Yes it's Sh*tski, but so f*cking what? They're a bunch of b*stards, and it'll p*ss them off so much if we put a second-string team out against them, showing all of Europe we couldn't give a toss who we meet. (Be that the case or not!)
A move like that would really put a seed of doubt in all the 15 other teams' minds - LFC, holders, and cool as a cucumber.

:D :D Totally agree, let them and the media build it up as the game of all games then play our reserves. Ha Ha great might even get a goal or two too! :blues:
welshred

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:34 pm

would we not get into trouble with UEFA for not sending out a decent team??
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Red squirrel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:25 am

AussieKopite wrote:I sit corrected.

He must be too tierd to stand! :grinning:
Red squirrel

Postby Red squirrel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:28 am

Id rather we beat Chelski than get a draw coz its a huge two fingers back to them after the're 4-1 win against us this season.
Red squirrel

Postby azriahmad » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:49 am

LFC#1 said:
As much as you dislike him, you have to admit that Mourinho’s achievement of winning the UEFA Cup and the CL in consecutive years was an incredible achievement, and the man is definitely one of the best manager’s in world football. When GH was sacked, I actually wanted Jose to be our new manger, but in hindsight I’m glad we have Rafa, who conducts himself with a lot more tact, and for this reason is probably respected than Mourinho ever will be. FWIW I think Rafa is more tactically astute that Jose is, whereas Mourinho is the better man manager and motivator of players.

Lucky or not, a coach still has to prepare his team, make sure his players play well and make plans or changes to the original plan midway in matches which are not going his team's way. Mourinho, although relatively new in the position as head coach in a top team compared to the Fabio Capellos, Ottmar Hizfeld etc., has shown his ability in Europe with a relatively small team, Porto, winning back to back UEFA Cup and the CL in successive seasons. His ability to make Chelsea gel and play so consistently where the much more expreiences Raineri failed is also a testiment to his abilities.

I have no doubts at all that he is one of the very top young coaches in world football today. Benitez is thereabouts too.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopboyau » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:50 am

azriahmad wrote:Easy, Lando...we all hate them but they are still a class act because of the squad depth they have.

Just wonder how long it will last.

In the late 80s, a Bernard Tapie backed Marseille became a big force in European football but they were still bundled out of the European Cup by Benfica (if I am not mistaken) who then was soundly thrashed by AC Milan in the final, then lost a final on penalties to Red Star Belgrade and finally won against AC Milan in the revamped competiton in 1993 but was tainted by bribery scandals involving match officials along the way.

Tapie was jailed for fraud and Marseille lost their way. There is lettle chance of Abramovic succumbing to that as he just sold off his ownership in Sibneft to avoid falling foul of the Putin government but still, one wonders how long his interest in splashing out at Chelsea will last.

One thing for sure, the CL is such a tough competition where the element of luck in the draw can still wreck havoc to the best well laid plans and well funded clubs in a way a domestic league can't. In the EPL, you get tough opponents who sometimes play above their abilities by summoning collective will and energy to sometimes register the upset but in the CL, you get either champions of their own leagues or the top teams with top quality and just need a good day or two to bundle even the best side out at the knock-out stages.

There are no really easy draws in the last 16, just some sides who we may fancy more to face. Coming out as group winners will mean that we avoid other group winners in the next draw.

Anyone would have depth in their squad with all that money. Lets do things the old fashioned way and earn it.
Kopboyau
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion