If we beat chelsea - And real betis beat andelecht....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:46 am

....does that mean Chelsea are out?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby azriahmad » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:51 am

No, ola...unfortunately.

If that happens, Chelski and Betis will be tied on points at 10 apiece by Chelsea would go ahead based on their stronger/better head-to-head on aggregate in the 2 matches against Betis. Chelski have a 4-1 head-to-head advantage.

As it is, Chelski are already through. Let's hope they draw Milan or Barca next...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:19 pm

azriahmad wrote:No, ola...unfortunately.

If that happens, Chelski and Betis will be tied on points at 10 apiece by Chelsea would go ahead based on their stronger/better head-to-head on aggregate in the 2 matches against Betis. Chelski have a 4-1 head-to-head advantage.

As it is, Chelski are already through. Let's hope they draw Milan or Barca next...

Well, Chelsea due to its lack of European history will be in a lower seed teir I think. LFC is in the highest tier with Milan, Real Madrid & Bayern Munich; which is why we didn't draw Milan until the final.

Chances are Chelsea my face Barca in the quarter-finals, depending on the draw obviously.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dannyboy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:24 pm

When will the draw be boys does anyone know.
Dannyboy

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:26 pm

December 16 I think.

Not sure though, I think I read it somewhere today.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:32 pm

I checked on UEFA.com, its definitely the 16th.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:11 pm

AussieKopite wrote:
azriahmad wrote:No, ola...unfortunately.

Well, Chelsea due to its lack of European history will be in a lower seed teir I think. LFC is in the highest tier with Milan, Real Madrid & Bayern Munich; which is why we didn't draw Milan until the final.

Chances are Chelsea my face Barca in the quarter-finals, depending on the draw obviously.

No, the drawing would be seperated into 2 pots according to your placement in the group stage. It has nothing to do with your seeding unfortunately, so its crucial for us to secure top place if we want to avoid the likes of Barcelona etc.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:13 pm

I sit corrected.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:16 pm

AussieKopite wrote:I sit corrected.

I'm not sure whether I understand you here?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:30 pm

I can't help thinking(although it depends on the final group matches) that we'll be paired with Lyon..... ???
Gracias King Rafa

Postby XSD » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 am

nm someone else touched on it.
Last edited by XSD on Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:31 am

A draw against Sh*tski is definately achievable, but I'd rather use the game to bring experience to certain players, and give the usual starting 11 a well-earned rest.
Yes it's Sh*tski, but so f*cking what? They're a bunch of b*stards, and it'll p*ss them off so much if we put a second-string team out against them, showing all of Europe we couldn't give a toss who we meet. (Be that the case or not!)
A move like that would really put a seed of doubt in all the 15 other teams' minds - LFC, holders, and cool as a cucumber.
I know that most people will disagree, but thats my view on it.
I also believe that if we put our best side out and lose, it'll affect our entire season a la Scum in FA cup c.1998/9.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:46 am

Easy, Lando...we all hate them but they are still a class act because of the squad depth they have.

Just wonder how long it will last.

In the late 80s, a Bernard Tapie backed Marseille became a big force in European football but they were still bundled out of the European Cup by Benfica (if I am not mistaken) who then was soundly thrashed by AC Milan in the final, then lost a final on penalties to Red Star Belgrade and finally won against AC Milan in the revamped competiton in 1993 but was tainted by bribery scandals involving match officials along the way.

Tapie was jailed for fraud and Marseille lost their way. There is lettle chance of Abramovic succumbing to that as he just sold off his ownership in Sibneft to avoid falling foul of the Putin government but still, one wonders how long his interest in splashing out at Chelsea will last.

One thing for sure, the CL is such a tough competition where the element of luck in the draw can still wreck havoc to the best well laid plans and well funded clubs in a way a domestic league can't. In the EPL, you get tough opponents who sometimes play above their abilities by summoning collective will and energy to sometimes register the upset but in the CL, you get either champions of their own leagues or the top teams with top quality and just need a good day or two to bundle even the best side out at the knock-out stages.

There are no really easy draws in the last 16, just some sides who we may fancy more to face. Coming out as group winners will mean that we avoid other group winners in the next draw.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:17 am

azriahmad  sumed it up well . You only have to have a bit of luck and you avoid  the "big" teams , take Porto from 2004 for example, they avoided just about anyone and everyone to get to the final.............the special one my @rse !!!
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:50 am

Liamac, Porto had some help from one Silvio Berlusconi.

In the QF (if I am not mistaken), Deportivo was going to play the second leg at home after trailing the then defending champs AC Milan 1-0 from the first leg. Berlusconi said that his team "plays to entertain, and must field 2 strikers" which Ancelotti proceeded to ditch his normal plan/tactics and followed and Milan were soundly beaten 4-0 in Portugal. How often do you see or hear AC Milan, like Juve who are masters of closing down games completely, concede more than 2 goals (of course we did score 3 against them and so did Fiorentina just last week) in a match? After that, Porto had the much easier task of disposing Deportivo rather than Milan in the semis.

Also, Porto avoided big names and only had Manure in their way to the CL final. Monaco did more work in disposing the big boys.

Last season, we had some luck, no doubt in avoiding Barcelona but we had a much more difficult task of drawing Juve and Chelsea after Bayer Leverkusen.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion