LIVERPOOL VS REAL BETIS - CLOSED

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:41 am

The team I would choose:

Reina

Josemi  Hyypia  Carragher  Warnock

Cisse  Alonso  Sissoko  Zenden

Crouch  Pongolle

SUBS: Dudek, Gerrard, Hamann, Morientes, Riise, Finnan, Garcia.

I think it's about time to rotate the squad a bit or else the more important players would be knackered. Some might say we have found our winning formula and that rotating is not neccessary, but since only a point is needed against Betis at home, we can definately afford squad rotation, seeing that a tough away fixture at Man City is coming up. We have enough quality on the bench anyways if worse comes to worse.

I have a feeling if we really do get draw and that Chelsea does not manage to get a win in Brussels come Wednesday, Gerrard/Carragher and Lampard/Terry, being such close friends in the national squad, would try to fix a result in Stamford Bridge to accompany both English teams in the last 16. Fingers crossed on this one. I really want Chelsea out though.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:43 am

I would play Kewell and try and capitalise on his recent international form.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Theo@home » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:53 am

Good call AK plus I'd also swap the positions of Pongo and Cisse, if not 'officially' than at least during the match - alternating as they see fit.
Theo@home

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:11 am

MilitiaRusher wrote:The team I would choose:

Reina

Crouch  Pongolle

I think it's about time to rotate the squad a bit or else the more important players would be knackered. Some might say we have found our winning formula and that rotating is not neccessary, but since only a point is needed against Betis at home, we can definately afford squad rotation, seeing that a tough away fixture at Man City is coming up. We have enough quality on the bench anyways if worse comes to worse.

I have a feeling if we really do get draw and that Chelsea does not manage to get a win in Brussels come Wednesday, Gerrard/Carragher and Lampard/Terry, being such close friends in the national squad, would try to fix a result in Stamford Bridge to accompany both English teams in the last 16. Fingers crossed on this one. I really want Chelsea out though.

This is an important game mate, and it's no time to be rotating the squad. Also this shows the fickleness of some of you lot. When Benitez rotated the squad he was critisized, now that we've had almost the same line up in the past couple games people are worried about our players being knackered. But they weren't worried about them when Benitez rotated.  :glare:

We can't lose this game, therefore we need to keep the same-line up. If we play Josemi then it's a guarantee that Betis will score. Keep Finnan as a RB, this is not West Bromich Albion we're playing against.

Secondly Riise was rested against Pompey for the match against Betis and Warnock had a shitter of a day against Pompey imo. We were lucky that the ref didn't give them a penalty instead.

Why place Cisse on the wing? After all the complaining of him not being able to play there why would you want Benitez to stick him on the flank against Betis who beat Chelsea? I don't see the logic of that at all.

We're not a one man team but we could sure use Gerrard's ability against Betis, so I would play him ahead of Sissoko who hasn't played well as of late.

Pongolle hasn't played since we lost to Chelsea, he hasn't played for the reserves because he got a red card so why play an out of form player against a dangerous opposition like Betis?

Your team-selection suggests that you're underestimating the opposition.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC_fan » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:52 am

Reina

Crouch  Pongolle

thats a very complacent team to put out against betis. Qualification is by no means assured. if we slip up here, we'll need to go to the bridge to get a result there and don't think Rafa will let it go to that.

Here's a more probable team.

Reina

Finnan       Hypia                           Carra                  Risse

Gerrard           Alonso        Sissoko                    Kewell

Garcia                     Morientes

Subs : Dudek , Josemi, Troare, Zenden, Hamman, Cisse, Crouch

Remember, Betis has everything to play for in this game cos if they get a result, they are most probably through to the next round at our expense as their last game is at home to the belgians.
LFC_fan

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:24 am

Yes, Betis might be an unpredicatable team but after all, we're playing at home and we can afford to come away with a point, so I do not find any problem in a little bit of squad rotation.

The highly inconsistent Real Betis just lost 1-0 yesterday against a NINE-men Sevilla team and their now flirting dangerously in the relegation zone (17th place) with the poorest of goal differences. Without their star striker Olivera, I don't see how they can come away from Anfield with 3 points even if we play the team I mentioned above. Perhaps Finnan for Josemi, then the team that I mentioned above is completely valid. Besides, I do see Rafa doing a bit of squad rotation seeing that a tough away fixture at Man City is coming up in the weekend.
Last edited by MilitiaRusher on Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:31 am

We must go for the win so the strongest side must be fielded. Chelsea will get three points so therefore if we win against Betis Chelsea will need to beat us at Stamford Bridge whereas we will only need to draw. Even if they manage to beat us we may still take first in the group depending on goals. Most important for this to be the case is victory against Betis.

Should we win against Betis and Chelsea fail to get three points, then we can play the under 15's team against Chelsea at the Bridge and we still take first place.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:34 am

kazza wrote:We must go for the win so the strongest side must be fielded. Chelsea will get three points so therefore if we win against Betis Chelsea will need to beat us at Stamford Bridge whereas we will only need to draw. Even if they manage to beat us we may still take first in the group depending on goals. Most important for this to be the case is victory against Betis.

No, a draw is enough in terms of qualification. In fact, a draw would be a very good result for those who wants Chelsea to be out, providing they do not pick up a win in Brussels.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:37 am

MilitiaRusher wrote:
kazza wrote:We must go for the win so the strongest side must be fielded. Chelsea will get three points so therefore if we win against Betis Chelsea will need to beat us at Stamford Bridge whereas we will only need to draw. Even if they manage to beat us we may still take first in the group depending on goals. Most important for this to be the case is victory against Betis.

No, a draw is enough in terms of qualification. In fact, a draw would be a very good result for those who wants Chelsea to be out, providing they do not pick up a win in Brussels.

Sorry to burst your bubble Militia, but you go for the draw you will probably lose.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:41 am

kazza wrote:
MilitiaRusher wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble Militia, but you go for the draw you will probably lose.

Okay I get what you mean. Don't get me wrong though, the team I  fielded is definately not there just for the draw. Of course we would try for the win which is very possible for that team of such calibre. But since we are not THAT desperate for the win, we can afford to field a relatively weaker team.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:03 am

Militiarusher thank god your not picking the team on wednesday. We could forget about Paris. This game is probably our most important game of the season and your wanting to rotate. Madness! The strongest eleven out there . Reina, Finnan, Hyypia, Carra, Risse, Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Kewell, Crouch, Cisse.
Subs: Hammann, Garcia, Morientes, Traore, Dudek.

I love garcia (not physically) but i think that he might be struggling with thay knock. Kewell on the left i've always thought is our best option. Remember Olympiakos and Leverkusen at home? Harry was class. Prediction for the game 2-1 to the kings of europe.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:16 am

This game is probably our most important game of the season and your wanting to rotate. Madness! The strongest eleven out there .

I disagree. How could a game where only a draw would suffice be called the "most important game of the season". As you can see in my starting eleven, the extent of rotation does not make it totally unrecognised from yesterday's winning team, and is definately capable of getting at least a draw from the match, if not a win, at Anfield. In fact, it's only the fullbacks (Josemi, Troare/Warnock) that might seem questionable. Other than that, there are enough quality on the bench in case we really do get ourselves in deep sh!te.

Then again, Real Betis is in worrying form right now. They failed to beat a NINE-men Sevilla team and even lost 1-0. They are lingering in the relegation zone at 17th place with the poorest goal difference in the league. If you're saying their unpredictable with star players like Joaquin, there should be enough quality in my chosen starting eleven to nullify that threat anyways. Remember, they have notable absentees too, such as Oliviera (sp?).
Last edited by MilitiaRusher on Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:58 am

Reina

Crouch  Pongolle

Totally disagree here matey!
This is way to important of a game to be swapping players around!
I mean its still mathematically possible that we may need to go to the Bridge and get something to get through to the knockout stages.
Its hard to believe that we top the group but can still slip up at this stage but while its possible Raffa cant take any chances.
I fully expect us to beat Betis this week but it will not be an easy game,they have nothing to loose as they still have a chance of progression if they beat us and Anderlecht beat Chelsea...highly unlikely..yes,but that wont stop Betis giving 110%!
66-1120597113

Postby Owzat » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:44 pm

23/11 Liverpool vs Betis, Anderlecht vs Chelsea
06/12 Chelsea vs Liverpool, Betis vs Anderlecht

1. Liverpool P4 W3 D1 L0 Pts 10
2. Chelsea P4 W2 D1 L1 Pts 7
3. Betis P4 W2 D0 L2 Pts 6
4. Anderlecht P4 W0 D0 L4 Pts 0

A draw against Betis would see us through, if we lose a 1-1 draw or better against Chelsea would be needed to be sure (assuming Betis don't lose at home to Anderlecht)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:10 pm

why take the chance OWZAT when we can win and finish it off at ANFIELD?
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion