Jonjo shelvey or jay spearing. - Who is currently the better player.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Jonjo shelvey or jay spearing. - Who is currently the better player.

Shelvey is already better and will remain so.
75%
Spearing is currently better but Shelvey will surpass him.
21%
Spearing is currently better and will remain so.
No votes
Others (they are and will remain equal or something).
4%

Total votes : 48

Postby Owzat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:21 am

jacdaniel wrote:Shelvey has the potential to get better.  I don't really feel the same about Spearing.
He is nearly 22.

That's about as much as I can say on the situation, I haven't seen enough of Shelvey and I doubt most on here have. I believe Spearing's not played more than 10 games so far either, although on the evidence thus far at 21 he doesn't look like he'll cut it in our best XI. Shelvey has the advantage of years on his side, but I do wonder the objective of this thread. If it's to prove Shelvey will succeed at Anfield it is never going to achieve that using Spearing as a comparison.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:07 pm

A bit of a silly thread with all respect Mick I think most on here haven't seen Shelvey much so it's very hard to say who's best.

One thing I can say is that I don't think Spearing will ever make it as I don't think he is good enough he is all heart and energy but that's it.

:blues:
roberto green

Postby metalhead » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:07 pm

bigmick wrote:I've noticed a few people claiming that Shelvey is already a better player than Spearing. He played much of last season in Charltons first team, so in some respects probably has at least as much experience. They sre different types of player in many ways, Shelvey being more of a young Gerrard whereas Spearing would be more like a young Alonso (I don't mean either player is as good, just what they aspire to be).
Obviously Shelvey is that bit younger so maybe has a bit more improvement in him, but Spearing can develop too.

My opinion FWIW is that Jay Spearing is currently the better player, and will remain so.

I'm going to go with Mick on this now, Spearing now is a better experienced player than Shelvey.

Jonjo has the potential to be better than Spearing in the future.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Shelvey doesn't need to be the new Gerrard to be deemed a success. For £2m, as a minimum, it would a result if he either; i) makes useful backup or ii) is sold for a decent profit a few years down the line. Like the signing of Wilson and some of our other youngsters, he is a low risk investment and for it to prove a bad bit of business he'd really need to stink the place out.
LFC2007

Postby metalhead » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:05 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Shelvey doesn't need to be the new Gerrard to be deemed a success. For £2m, as a minimum, it would a result if he either; i) makes useful backup or ii) is sold for a decent profit a few years down the line. Like the signing of Wilson and some of our other youngsters, he is a low risk investment and for it to prove a bad bit of business he'd really need to stink the place out.

I still think we have a player in Wilson, I hope I'm right
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:44 pm

bigmick wrote:My opinion FWIW is that Jay Spearing is currently the better player, and will remain so.

:no   :no   :no

Disagree with you on this one Mick.

Will admit that DEPENDING on what role you want them to play i.e. you don't expect them to create anything, Spearing may at the moment have a slight edge (  :D  )

But let's for the sake of arguement assume they're both given a free role, imo Shelvey is streets ahead, the lads already got a load of first team experience (ok it's not prem yet) and bagfull of ability, still to be exploited.

Spearing (again imo) on the other hand is looking like he doesn't have much more to offer, a mini Danny Murphy type player if you like. Long term he'll look ok at some mid to lower end of the table club but I can't for the life of me see him ever starring now or in any future successful Liverpool side.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:58 pm

Tell the truth Woof I don't think either of them will make it at Liverpool or at the upper end of the Premiership. I know some have been in raptures about Shelvey, and fair enough he's a new player and young and all that, but I don't think he's quite good enough to be totally honest. Spearing probably isn't going to improve too much from where he is, but he knocks a nice pass and gets his foot in. 

If I was pressed to name a level they'd get to, I'd say Spearing might develop into a Lee Carsley type and level of player, all action and keeping it simple. Shelvey will be more box to box, possibly a Sean Davis at Pompey type.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Shelveys better in my opinion from the little ive seen of him he has the edge on spearing because he has the ability 2 beat players in the way Gerrard does (no so much with fancy skills but pure speed and power combined) Plus his passing seems to be more slick and direct. Have high hopes for him, Spearing i would cash in on now as i dont think his stock will go up from now on
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:05 am

I'm afraid Shelvey will not be a very attacking minded midfielder at the Premiership level... he may have been quite attacking at Charlton... but in the Premiership he will probably play as more of a true CM. His passing is at quite a good level, but he might need to work on quicker response and passing if he wants to be considered as a serious contender for an AM. He does remind me of a young Stevie G though with his natural athleticism, but Gerrard always had lightning quick thinking and vision (sometimes too hasty for my liking). The moment he receives a ball he already knows what he was going to do with it and it is his team mates that needed to keep up with him. And this has allowed him to progress his skills and talent at the highest level. That's why Torres and Gerrard partnership was so effective, Torres knew exactly what Gerrard was gonna do. Shelvey is not at that level yet but I got plenty of faith in him. From what I've seen, he seems to prefer taking more time on the ball. He can beat the defender marking him but sometimes he seems to slow down the flow of the game. This can be either good or bad I guess, depending on what kind of game it is.

As for Spearing, I dont' really rate him...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:47 am

Spearing will unfortuntely never make it at this level. The Championship is his level I think. A friend of mine who's a Leicester fan was raving about him when he went on loan there last season. However if you'd seen the kid playing for us last season (Sunderland away for example) you'd have seen that the kid was completely out of his depth.

Shelvey is a completely different type of player. Infact at times when I've seen him play for Charlton (which isn't many I must add) he played just off the striker. Reminds me more of a young Gerrard. Whether he'll be good enough for a future here we'll have to see aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Can't help but notice that nobody has voted for the third option, not even as a consolation :laugh:
LFC2007

Postby Fauxy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Can't help but notice that nobody has voted for the third option, not even as a consolation :laugh:

:D
Fauxy

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion