JONJO SHELVEY - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:57 am

he splits a lot of opinion among lfc fans and it appears to be the same among swansea supporters also. i had a look on their forum last night and most are not impressed at all in what has been the clubs record signing.
personally i think its a good move for the lad and if his potential can be tapped then i think laudrup is the right man to get it flowing. he was one of the best in his day and if he can get even a few pointers across then shelvey will excel.

huw jenkins was in the mirror today moaning about the cost of english talent  :laugh:  fooking hypocrite crying that he was priced out of the ince deal when this time last year he held out for a ridiculous payday off allen  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:57 am

Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:34 am wrote:He didnt look like that during the summer and I can't remember him standing out that much against players like Texeria - in fact Wisdom was the one player to come back from the U21's with credit. What Shelvey did do though was score the odd goal which masked a lot of his problems.

i`m talking about our U21`s, i dont take any notice of international form, i`ve seen too many top class liverpool players like john barnes, terry mcdermott, ray kennedy and even world cup winner roger hunt take stick for their international performances to use it as a yardstick to judge players by.
we bought phil babb right after the 1994 world cup because of his outstanding his performances in the tournament, he was the most expensive defender in british football at the time as well, says everything about international footy that does.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Even for our U21's he didn't stand out that much - every now and then he popped up with a goal which put him in the headlines but you could see that other players had better technique and ability on the ball.

And at the U21 Tournament he is playing against players the same age - it's a very good barometer , Wisdom stood out, Shelvey disappointed for someone with higher level experience.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Kenny Kan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:43 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:30 am wrote:
Scottbot » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:51 pm wrote:Get a grip people, we haven't just sold the 2nd coming of Graeme Souness or the new Stevie G. He's a good young player, he will have a good career, he'll score some good goals and will probably win a few more England caps BUT he has limitations and the fact so many think we should have kept him says to me that we have allowed our standards to slip.

Shelvey has lots of confidence, he has a good shot on him, he can spray a ball 40 yards and play the hollywood stuff from time to time however, the defensive part of his game is not up to scratch, he's a rash tackler, he isn't particularly mobile or quick, he doesn't look after the ball well enough (especially in a system that relies on keeping the ball). £6 million isn't a bad bit of business for a player who ultimately will falll short of the levels the club should be aspiring to reach.

your talking about a 21 year old player mate, he`s nowhere near the finished product and people shouldnt really expect him to be at that age.
gerrard and souness had to iron out faults in their games early on in their careers, infact your description of shelvey - lots of confidence, good shot on him, spray a ball 40 yards, likes the hollywood stuff and is a rash tackler reminds me of a certain number 8 when he was younger.
when shelvey plays for our U21`s against players his own age he looks the best player on the pitch, he looks better than texiera, wisdom, coady and the other highly rated players coming through our ranks. i think because he`s been in and around the first team squad for a couple of seasons and he looks older than he actually is people are expecting too much from him.

There is/was a clear distinction between a young Gerrard and Shelvey - Gerrard's class was always present especially during his younger years. I suspect Shelvey tries to model himself on Gerrard if truth be told but he simply doesn't have that extra ability to look a class apart like Gerrard did at 21.

As stu-the-red used to say, Shelvey won't suddenly become someone he's not, age will bring experience but won't supernaturally boost natural ability. Gerrard had this at 21 it was there for all to see. If he were that good as you're suggesting it wouldn't have been the likes of Norwich, Crystal Palace and subsequently Swansea who would have been in for him.

obviously he`s not as good as gerrard who is, along with bobby charlton, arguably the best english player in history imo  but i still think people are under estimating shelvey, he went to blackpool at 19/20 and was a star in the championship which takes some doing at that age, holloway was raving about him.
it was only 9 months ago that rodgers pulled him to one side on that stupid documentary and told him he was going to be an important player for this club for the next decade. yes his form has tanked but that can happen at 21, and up until that match against united when he had the bust up with ferguson he was doing well and scoring goals, who knows what sort of b#llock#ngs he`s had behind the scene`s over that bust up? i imagine liverpool werent happy over it, as much as we fans laughed at the bust up when you think about it it`s like working for a firm and one of the apprentices having a raging argument with the MD of another firm, that sort of stuff doesnt go down well with the suits in charge, they feel it reflects bad on them, sort of gives the perception out that they run a business where there`s a culture of employee`s being encouraged to have little respect for anyone else. thats the way these suits look at things.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:02 am wrote:Even for our U21's he didn't stand out that much - every now and then he popped up with a goal which put him in the headlines but you could see that other players had better technique and ability on the ball.

And at the U21 Tournament he is playing against players the same age - it's a very good barometer , Wisdom stood out, Shelvey disappointed for someone with higher level experience.

wisdom didnt stand out, pearce picked him out in the after match interview but i watched the games and wisdom was no better than anyone else.
and shelvey does stand out when he plays for our U21`s.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:20 pm

He stands out when he scores a goal - but what doesn't get noticed is the amount of moves that break down when the ball comes to him because his touch is very poor - his game isn't set up for the high technical passing we see becoming more apparent. He will struggle at Swansea but he will prob flourish at a Villa or Stoke where it's all about blood and power.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:20 am wrote:He stands out when he scores a goal - but what doesn't get noticed is the amount of moves that break down when the ball comes to him because his touch is very poor - his game isn't set up for the high technical passing we see becoming more apparent. He will struggle at Swansea but he will prob flourish at a Villa or Stoke where it's all about blood and power.

nah dont agree, shelvey stands out head and shoulders above everyone else imo when he plays for the U21`s. his power does have a lot to do with that like, he just brushes opposition players off the ball with ease.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:27 pm

That's because he at times plays against kids aged 15-16 ! In the prem he is rash and clumsy with the odd strike at goal.

If he was really going to do it last season was his really big chance and he was found lacking the game needed.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:27 am wrote:That's because he at times plays against kids aged 15-16 ! In the prem he is rash and clumsy with the odd strike at goal.

If he was really going to do it last season was his really big chance and he was found lacking the game needed.

at 21? dont talk sh1.te!
`his really big chance` ffs.
anyway he`s gone now so i guess it`s pointless arguing over spilt milk, i think he`ll do well for swansea, lets wait and see how he develops over the next 2-3 years.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Yes his big chance to make it with us - a new manager who rated him and who was giving him time on the pitch.

21 isn't that young in football terms now.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:43 am wrote:Yes his big chance to make it with us - a new manager who rated him and who was giving him time on the pitch.

21 isn't that young in football terms now.

as i said we`ll see how he does over the next 2-3 years.
laudrup is no long ball merchant and he likes the look of him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:49 pm

We will Yakka, the move to Swansea is a strange so maybe Swansea want to add a bit of directness. But if its quick sharp possession then I can see him continuing to struggle with them
Benny The Noon

Postby heimdall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 pm

7_Kewell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:15 pm wrote:Shelvey showed promise, but needs a full season or two to develop. That's not going to happen here, so selling him is the best all round.

Wish him luck and hopefully the money will go towards funding Mkhitaryan

Sorry but in what way did he show promise? He was abasolute cr@p for us last season and I'm impressed we got any money for him at all. the rpoblem with Shelvey is that he is way to stupid to be a good midfielder, the very best midfielders have all been fairly bright (in footballing terms anyway).
heimdall

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:58 pm

heimdall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:15 pm wrote:Shelvey showed promise, but needs a full season or two to develop. That's not going to happen here, so selling him is the best all round.

Wish him luck and hopefully the money will go towards funding Mkhitaryan

Sorry but in what way did he show promise? He was abasolute cr@p for us last season and I'm impressed we got any money for him at all. the rpoblem with Shelvey is that he is way to stupid to be a good midfielder, the very best midfielders have all been fairly bright (in footballing terms anyway).

Gazza was think as ***** but was one of the best midfielders this country has produced.
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Rodgers should never have told him he was good. It went to his head and fu'cked him up
An average price for an average player
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion