JONJO SHELVEY - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:49 pm

Thommo's perm » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:32 pm wrote:Rodgers should never have told him he was good. It went to his head and fu'cked him up
An average price for an average player

As opposed to a big price for an average player E.g. Carroll
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:45 pm

For me, he never did enough when given chances. Think it's a good move for him. Will be interesting to see how he gets no but personally think his found his level at Swansea
Doeboy

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:55 pm

obviously he`s not as good as gerrard who is, along with bobby charlton, arguably the best english player in history imo  but i still think people are under estimating shelvey, he went to blackpool at 19/20 and was a star in the championship which takes some doing at that age, holloway was raving about him.
it was only 9 months ago that rodgers pulled him to one side on that stupid documentary and told him he was going to be an important player for this club for the next decade. yes his form has tanked but that can happen at 21, and up until that match against united when he had the bust up with ferguson he was doing well and scoring goals, who knows what sort of b#llock#ngs he`s had behind the scene`s over that bust up? i imagine liverpool werent happy over it, as much as we fans laughed at the bust up when you think about it it`s like working for a firm and one of the apprentices having a raging argument with the MD of another firm, that sort of stuff doesnt go down well with the suits in charge, they feel it reflects bad on them, sort of gives the perception out that they run a business where there`s a culture of employee`s being encouraged to have little respect for anyone else. thats the way these suits look at things. 

Like yourself, I don't heed too much credit to a players performances during internationals, likewise, I don't heed much credit when Shelvey performs at Blackpool, it's what he does in a Red shirt that concerns me. He's never really cut the mustard for me, there was a time that I put that down to rawness but he's never really stepped up to the plate and kicked on. That's just my opinion on him. Regarding the bust-up with Fergie I couldn't really give a s.hit what the suits think but I enjoyed seeing him give the old croak a mouthful, only mortified to see he had to apologise hours later.

As for the Swansea move and people who seem to question it as strange, I don't know their personnel but if they are looking to beef up their midfield with a bit of physicality then Shelvey is their man - I suspect he'll do quite well there in actual fact and may finally find his groove in Wales. All the best to him.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:23 pm

all the best to him
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Octsky » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:24 am

he been touted as the next gerrard, but gerrard had been scoring beautiful goals at his age.
shelvey is not clinical enu infront of goal, and he does not hv the work rate of a good midfielder.

6m for him is a fantastic piece of business for us, esp when bolton player of the yr, spearing, is only rated at 3m.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:01 am

Octsky » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:24 am wrote:he been touted as the next gerrard, but gerrard had been scoring beautiful goals at his age.
shelvey is not clinical enu infront of goal, and he does not hv the work rate of a good midfielder.

6m for him is a fantastic piece of business for us, esp when bolton player of the yr, spearing, is only rated at 3m.

If Shelvey had stayed at Blackpool he probably would have made Blackpool player of the year. Getting a player of the year award at a Championship side, when you once were a Liverpool first team player, is hardly anything to crow about.

I don't get your comparison, i'm sure your not suggesting Spearing is better than Shelvey - because that would just be stupid.

Whilst training is not a benchmark of any sorts, Shelvey clearly had something in training to give Rodgers something to think about. It was reported (on LFC tv I think) that the Shelvey-Henderson partnership in training were unbeaten all season last year. Some doubles games aimed at scoring goals.

I think the big stage got to him, either pressure or stage fright. The Swansea move will be ideal for him, he will have a regular opportunity to play and if stage fright is the cause he will soon start to shine. If it is purely down to his ability then this will be very clear to see also. Time will tell, I suspect it will be the former.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 am

Constantly changing managers over the years hasn't helped our young players like Shelvey in any way. 
If we ever get a bit of stability at the club perhaps these young players can adapt to the system from a younger age and find a role in the squad.

The key to success will be when we have a style for our senior team right down to under 7's playing the same way.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:31 am

SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:01 pm wrote:
Octsky » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:24 am wrote:I don't get your comparison, i'm sure your not suggesting Spearing is better than Shelvey - because that would just be stupid.

What he said mate is that 6m for a Liverpool non performer is better than 3m for Bolton's player of the year from our perspective, and I probably agree. Either Shelvey is over valued or Wee Jay is under valued.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:03 am

jacdaniel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:40 am wrote:Constantly changing managers over the years hasn't helped our young players like Shelvey in any way. 
If we ever get a bit of stability at the club perhaps these young players can adapt to the system from a younger age and find a role in the squad.

The key to success will be when we have a style for our senior team right down to under 7's playing the same way.

That's a poor excuse for a poor player.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:29 pm

eds » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:03 am wrote:
jacdaniel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:40 am wrote:Constantly changing managers over the years hasn't helped our young players like Shelvey in any way. 

That's a poor excuse for a poor player.

I’m inclined to agree.

Shelvey was a promising youngster, but lacks the maturity and footballing brain to push that into the finished article. The managerial changes are also irrelevant too, as Stirling and Kelly have developed a lot more under the same scenaro. The bottom line is, Shelvey isn’t good enough

In a lot of ways he remins me of Dominic Matteo – talented, but too stupid to realise his potential.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danielswan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:08 pm

I will probably be beaten verbally since I am not english native and I am just a danish plasticswan, but thanks for Shelvey. He has looked so freaking impressive in his friendlies, by far the best player for the swans in the friendlies so far. You guys forgot one thing, some footballers need to be told they are loved, he will get that at Swansea. Will he ever make it to the top? .. I have no clue. I was a sceptic .. now I believe in him, he will make Swansea a far better team.
Danielswan
LFC newBie

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Danielswan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:08 pm wrote:I will probably be beaten verbally since I am not english native and I am just a danish plasticswan, but thanks for Shelvey. He has looked so freaking impressive in his friendlies, by far the best player for the swans in the friendlies so far. You guys forgot one thing, some footballers need to be told they are loved, he will get that at Swansea. Will he ever make it to the top? .. I have no clue. I was a sceptic .. now I believe in him, he will make Swansea a far better team.

he is a decent player and will only improve under laudrup's guidance.
he is still very young and will turn out to be a great signing for you's in the seasons to come. id have preferred if you guys got him on a loan rather than a sale as i do think he will become a brilliant player in time. unfortunately time isnt afforded to youth here anymore  :down:
best of luck to him and you never know he might come back here some day in a swap deal with allen  :eyebrow
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Football food chain, not good enough for Liverpool but a decent acquisition for Swansea.

That is not disrespect its fact at all levels of the game and no club will give players forever to
develop and make a meaningful contribution, stakes and wages are too high.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 am

Hope he scores a hat trick against gollums gang
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby heimdall » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Benny The Noon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:58 am wrote:
heimdall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:15 pm wrote:Shelvey showed promise, but needs a full season or two to develop. That's not going to happen here, so selling him is the best all round.

Wish him luck and hopefully the money will go towards funding Mkhitaryan

Sorry but in what way did he show promise? He was abasolute cr@p for us last season and I'm impressed we got any money for him at all. the rpoblem with Shelvey is that he is way to stupid to be a good midfielder, the very best midfielders have all been fairly bright (in footballing terms anyway).

Gazza was think as ***** but was one of the best midfielders this country has produced.

Gazza was very very good but wasn't he more of an attacking midfielder rather than playmaker? BTW I think Stevie G is a far more complete midfielder than Gazza ever was.
heimdall

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion