Jay spearing

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby hello_red » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:12 pm

Just want to get everyones opinion on this young lad.

Hes 19 and plays in a very similar role to Steven Gerrard, does anyone think he maybe a ready made replacement for Stevie G?
His game is about driving forward and making things happen in the final third, can spray passes about the place and has an eye for goal. Obviously his game is no where nears Stevies but I think with good guidance and patience he could make that step up and hes local which is always good for the club.

Heres an interview with him, seems to have his head on his shoulders much like Mr. Gerrard.

Jay Spearing interview
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby adammac19 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:03 pm

I thought he was one of the best players last season in the reserve team. He got a very good engine to attack and make tackles which combine with his physical nature is his best asset. Still has to work on a few things, mainly his control and passing when he has the ball. I think much like a lot of the young players on Liverpool they reach a point where they only learn so much training at Liverpool and playing reserve games and now need to make a step into playing real games that matter. That is why I would like to see him get a loan move to gain the experience needed to further his career  and hopefully be a step towards playing with the senior side.
adammac19

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Seems to have a few physical handicaps to overcome if he is going to "make it". He's very small (though stocky) and doesn't seem to have any  pace. I think he will have to start showing some game intelligence if he is to progress, hard work and effort may work if your a dutch international, but as a young kid trying to break into the game you need something else.
account deleted by request

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:11 pm

s@int wrote:Seems to have a few physical handicaps to overcome if he is going to "make it". He's very small (though stocky) and doesn't seem to have any  pace. I think he will have to start showing some game intelligence if he is to progress, hard work and effort may work if your a dutch international, but as a young kid trying to break into the game you need something else.

My thoughts exactly!

even if he doesnt make it at liverpool, we will make a few million on him as a transfer.

Good Luck to him tho  :;):
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:46 pm

From looking at the friendlies and last year in ressies he looks quote good and could have a chance along with darby
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:17 pm

Not good enough but can do a job if required.

Better than Lucas, Plessis and some of the other peices of :censored: we've got.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC3409 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Fo Dne wrote:Not good enough but can do a job if required.

Better than Lucas, Plessis and some of the other peices of :censored: we've got.

Nah I don't think so. He's definitely not better than Lucas and I don't think he's as good as Plessis either. Plessis should get a good few games in the prem this season as well as carling cup.
LFC3409

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Ugly :censored:, but looks like a decent player.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby city4life » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:01 pm

plessis looks a better bet....much taller and will be very strong when he fills out a bit more. the player i'm most looking forward to seeing breaking through is nemeth...hope to see him get a few first team runs this season
city4life

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:22 pm

hello_red wrote:Just want to get everyones opinion on this young lad.

Hes 19 and plays in a very similar role to Steven Gerrard, does anyone think he maybe a ready made replacement for Stevie G?
His game is about driving forward and making things happen in the final third, can spray passes about the place and has an eye for goal. Obviously his game is no where nears Stevies but I think with good guidance and patience he could make that step up and hes local which is always good for the club.

Heres an interview with him, seems to have his head on his shoulders much like Mr. Gerrard.

Jay Spearing interview

Unfortunately for him it will be extremely unlikely that he will replace Gerrard.

Houllier gave Gerrard his break when Liverpool were meandering as a mid table club looking to salvage the shambles that Souness and Evans left. Unfortunately in the more elevated situation Liverpool  now live in Spearing hasn't got a chance of "replacing" Gerrard.

Some would say he isn't good enoug but no one outside of the youth system was raving about Gerrard prior to Houllier taking a notice of him. Spearing's problem is the club cannot/will not afford to develop by allowing him regular first team starts in his preferred role.

We sadly have lost our once successful youth to senior promotion system
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:30 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Some would say he isn't good enoug but no one outside of the youth system was raving about Gerrard prior to Houllier taking a notice of him.

How about the fact that Spurs offered £2.5million for him when he was playing for the under 18s and hadn’t even made the first team squad yet?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MoyVilla9 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:51 pm

LFC3409 wrote:Nah I don't think so. He's definitely not better than Lucas and I don't think he's as good as Plessis either. Plessis should get a good few games in the prem this season as well as carling cup.

I disagree, he looks miles better than Lucas for me, Lucas is an awful player in my opinion
MoyVilla9

Postby Fauxy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:32 pm

MoyVilla9 wrote:
LFC3409 wrote:Nah I don't think so. He's definitely not better than Lucas and I don't think he's as good as Plessis either. Plessis should get a good few games in the prem this season as well as carling cup.

I disagree, he looks miles better than Lucas for me, Lucas is an awful player in my opinion

I wouldnt say Lucas is an awful player, he isnt bad.

But yes, Spearing defo seems better and has more potential. After his performance against Real Madrid Rafa should play him a little more often instead of Lucas.
Fauxy

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:48 am

Jay Spearing set for first team line up.

Radio Five reports that Jay will be first pick for the first team.

not a total shock as we have just given him a new contract, he is making good steps and Rafa must see a lot in him.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Darby has just signed a new contract as well
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion