Jay spearing

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:15 pm

lakes10 wrote:Jay Spearing set for first team line up.

Radio Five reports that Jay will be first pick for the first team.

not a total shock as we have just given him a new contract, he is making good steps and Rafa must see a lot in him.

First pick for the first team? I assume this is for pre season right?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:23 pm

bavlondon wrote:
lakes10 wrote:Jay Spearing set for first team line up.

Radio Five reports that Jay will be first pick for the first team.

not a total shock as we have just given him a new contract, he is making good steps and Rafa must see a lot in him.

First pick for the first team? I assume this is for pre season right?

i would think so, unless Rafa think he is worth a spot in the prem, some players will make big steps fast, he might be one of them.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Id like to see him step up tbh but i'm not sure if he has all the right attributes. What do I know though.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:27 pm

i don't think he's good enough to be honest. Would like to see him play a few games to make sure, but can't see him breaking into the 1st 11.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:53 pm

7_Kewell wrote:i don't think he's good enough to be honest. Would like to see him play a few games to make sure, but can't see him breaking into the 1st 11.

Yesterday in the game he was focused on doing things easily, minimum complexity.

Which is exactly what he has to do in his first games with the first team. He doesn't have to try to impress, he just have to do things simple and right and earn minutes in his pocket. We don't need Spearing impresses we need he just gets to know the team make things easy and be able to get minutes in games we are winning comfortably or cup games.

Quality wise he's obviously not the next Laudrup or Zidane, but he reminds me to a local player in some aspects and it will be interesting to see in what he develops this small player.

We need patience with Spearing, and consider his minutes in competition games as a success, we don't need he excells from year one, we won't have another Gerrard in a long time.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:27 pm

I liked Plessis yesterday aswell... he played it simple too and connected very well with the fullback and left winger.. seemed pretty composed on the ball but then again our midfield wasnt worked hard yesterday so yea...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ElNino9 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Jay should be promoted soon.
ElNino9

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:47 pm

As others have said - he does appear on the small and stocky side. I've also noticed (admittedly purely from ressies games on LTV) that he has a Rooney-esque frustration if things aren't going 100%...
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby StephSkrtel » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:29 pm

I think he is great, I've met him a couple of times and he is my friends cousin. He just hasn't had enough chances to prove himself, he has the talent and potential to become a good player.
StephSkrtel

Postby tubby » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Is he ever going to get a chance in the league with Lucas fit? I don't think so.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:42 pm

bavlondon wrote:Is he ever going to get a chance in the league with Lucas fit? I don't think so.

based on his performance against Sunderland, i hope not.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:41 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Is he ever going to get a chance in the league with Lucas fit? I don't think so.

based on his performance against Sunderland, i hope not.

FFS, give the kid a break. Rafa didn't think Warnock was good enough, yet I reckon he trumps both left backs we have now.

Spearing is better than Lucas, end of. For that reason alone he is worth a chance. If we are going to lose I'd rather lose with players who care about the club.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:22 pm

I think you need to give Spearing the benefit of the doubt. I watched the entire game vs Sunderland and he was massively exposed in the middle of the park by Lucas who must've thought the ball was a hot potato. Lucas really didn't help the kid on the day and left him really exposed at times. Spearing needs to be paired in the middle with a more dominant figure. Let's see how he does when has Mascherano in there beside him or even Gerrard.

You can't single out Spearing and judge him on the Sunderland game alone.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:52 pm

Waldo wrote:I think you need to give Spearing the benefit of the doubt. I watched the entire game vs Sunderland and he was massively exposed in the middle of the park by Lucas who must've thought the ball was a hot potato. Lucas really didn't help the kid on the day and left him really exposed at times. Spearing needs to be paired in the middle with a more dominant figure. Let's see how he does when has Mascherano in there beside him or even Gerrard.

You can't single out Spearing and judge him on the Sunderland game alone.

i'm not. He was poor against Leeds, and they're in League 1!

I just haven't seen enough ability in Spearing to prove he is Premiership quality.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion