Jonjo shelvey or jay spearing. - Who is currently the better player.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Jonjo shelvey or jay spearing. - Who is currently the better player.

Shelvey is already better and will remain so.
75%
Spearing is currently better but Shelvey will surpass him.
21%
Spearing is currently better and will remain so.
No votes
Others (they are and will remain equal or something).
4%

Total votes : 48

Postby bigmick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:41 pm

I've noticed a few people claiming that Shelvey is already a better player than Spearing. He played much of last season in Charltons first team, so in some respects probably has at least as much experience. They sre different types of player in many ways, Shelvey being more of a young Gerrard whereas Spearing would be more like a young Alonso (I don't mean either player is as good, just what they aspire to be).
Obviously Shelvey is that bit younger so maybe has a bit more improvement in him, but Spearing can develop too.

My opinion FWIW is that Jay Spearing is currently the better player, and will remain so.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:58 pm

My opinion is that spearing should be let go and sold on - is nearly 23 and has nothing to his game that will add anything to our team and imo will not improve in any way and is no different to the Peltiers and Potters that we have seen over the years . Cant comment on Shelvy as not seen him play enough .
Benny The Noon

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:My opinion is that spearing should be let go and sold on - is nearly 23 and has nothing to his game that will add anything to our team and imo will not improve in any way and is no different to the Peltiers and Potters that we have seen over the years . Cant comment on Shelvy as not seen him play enough .

Wow, i thought Spearing was 21.

Either way i agree though.  Jay seems like a nice lad but not cut out for this great club. 

Although the way the game is going, he'll probably go to Hull and we'll sign him for 40 million in 4 years  :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Spearing was born on 25 November 1988, so is currently 21, turning 22 in three and a half months

Shelvey was born on 27 February 1992 and is 3 and 1/2 years younger than Spearing
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:10 pm

I think spearing is better of the two at this moment in time. If I had to pick one out of the two to face Arsenal (if I had to pick out of the two) it would be Spearing. Little things like ball retention, playing the easy pass when neccesary seem to be better in Spearings game, and from what I've seen Shelvey is trying too much too soon. However I think Shelvey can surpass Spearing when when comparing the two players at the same age.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Spearing possibly could of been very good but his lack of first team opportunities have hindered his development. He did well on loan at Leicester but then step up from Championship to Premiership is big and at 23 I believe he has missed his chance. In my opinion, Spearing's talent is not good enough for the role he intends to play. His comparison is Alonso/Scholes, a midfield metronome, keeping the play ticking over and spraying passes when necessary. He hasn;t done that well enough for my liking and smacks of being out of his depth in the Premiership.

Shelvey's career however has moved more positively. He has already learnt his trade in the lower leagues, playing week in week out for a senior side. He has also been scouted to play in the Premiership. His style is more tenacious than Spearing's, he is somewhere between Gerrard and Mascherano. Aggressive but attacking. From what I saw of him in pre-season and clips when he was at Charlton, he fits the Premiership role much better.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:48 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Spearing .............. and at 23

spearing is currently 21.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Yeah thats my error - im sure the commentators said last night he was 22
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:52 pm

Every time i have seen Spearing play he is as far from a Alonso or scholes as you can get - has limited range of passing but is tenacious in the tackle and lots of energy .
Benny The Noon

Postby Raoul » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:23 pm

I've come to the end of games having noticed a lot of good and bad from Shelvey, but finding Spearing to have been forgetable. I'm sure that the size of the screen on an internet stream combined with all the buzz in Shelvey has meant I've missed a lot of detail, but made a point to focus on Shelvey. I think Spearing is the more consistent of the two, less likely to lose the ball, but also less likely to play the killer pass. Against a good team, away from home I'd pick Spearing, home against a poor team I'd pick Shelvey. But right now, I'm not sure I'd want to be in the position to have to pick them, unless we are talking about a Carling Cup or Europa group game.

Which I guess reflects poorly on Spearing, but doesn't say much about Shelvey given their ages. But in truth I haven't seen either play much, nor on a particularly good stream!
Last edited by Raoul on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:28 pm

I like what I have seen from Shelvey so far ,he passes quickly and precisely and retains possession so much more than Spearing ,who while being sufficiently adequate to play in the reserves midfield is lost in the first team where chasing around after the ball like an over active Puppy chasing a car tyre, just wont pass muster I'm afraid... no contest Shelvey for me has some serious potential Spearing doesn't strike me as achieving anything at Liverpool ... possibly Tranmere or Leicester, but then that's maybe why Shelvey has already won this hands down ......
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Shelvey has the potential to get better.  I don't really feel the same about Spearing.
He is nearly 22.

Owen, fabregas and Rooney etc were playing at big clubs from age 16 or 17.  If Spearing can't make the team at this point... he never will.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Seems it's starting to look overwhelmly in favour of Shevely
Benny The Noon

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm erring on the side of "not as good now, but will be better" instead of better now, based on the fact that Spearing's far more experienced and would probably do a more solid job. Spearing still isn't good enough for us, though, and I've thought that for some time whereas Shelvey has raw talent that can be nurtured (he'll also develop his physique). All being well, I believe in three years time he will be a much better player than Spearing.
LFC2007

Postby sgs » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:39 pm

I hope I see more of Shelvey, but both for me give little cause for optimism. I have recently been watch two Barcelona youngsters, Oriol Romeu and Thiago Alacanthra. The technical quality of both players, 18 and 19yrs old and their overall game intelligence leave Spearing esp and Shelvey in the dust...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion