RABOTNICKI vs. LIVERPOOL (Europa League) - 29/7/2010

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Raoul » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:42 pm

damjan193 wrote:Why are you all considering Kyrgiakos?

Joe is right, Roy said he wasn't going to take senior players and put them on the bench. He hasn't named his team yet, and so there is room for conjecture, but based on what I've read, I expect Kyrgiakos to start.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Raoul wrote:
damjan193 wrote:Why are you all considering Kyrgiakos?

Joe is right, Roy said he wasn't going to take senior players and put them on the bench. He hasn't named his team yet, and so there is room for conjecture, but based on what I've read, I expect Kyrgiakos to start.

No Hodgson said he wouldn't take senior players to sit on the bench and be brought on for the last 10 mins.

There is no reason why a senior player cannot be used for the last 30 mins.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:00 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:No Hodgson said he wouldn't take senior players to sit on the bench and be brought on for the last 10 mins.

There is no reason why a senior player cannot be used for the last 30 mins.

Hmmm, I recall he said something like that about Gerrard, didn't he?

Perhaps you're right. Start with something like:

Kelly        Skrtel        Ayala        Agger

then replace Skrtel with Kyrgiakos and Agger with Darby in the last half hour?

I'm not comfortable with making changes to the CB combination in the middle of a game unless it is a forced change, but perhaps this early in the season Roy is having to think about limiting the playing time of the World Cup players.

I'd actually like to see Ayala given a start, but I'm still expecting us to start with:

Kelly        Skrtel        Kyrgiakos        Agger

with Agger subbed by Darby or Degen at some point.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:03 pm

If Kyrgiakos does come then he will play, but I heard that the only players that played in the World Cup will be Jovanovic, Agger and Skrtel.If Roy doesnt want to bring senior players if he isnt planning to play them, then without considering Kyrgiakos, our deffense should look like this:                     

Kelly                Skrtel               Ayala               Agger

with Wilson and Darby on the bench

Plus, here in Macedonia we're not too keen on Greeks :D.I dont mind him cos he's Liverpool and he did well last season, but I dont know what the rest will have to say :).
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm

damjan193 wrote:Why are you all considering Kyrgiakos?Never heard that he will play.From the players that played in the WC I heard that only Agger, Skrtel and Jovanovic will play.

The Greek is the MOST likely to play amongst the WC players IMO.  He has the most match time in the friendlies of any of the World Cup players.
JoeTerp

Postby metalhead » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:01 pm

It will be an interesting game for the young guns
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Lee J wrote:pick a team from this lot...

Cavalieri, Aquilani, Agger, Jovanovic, Kyrgiakos, Lucas, Wilson, Ngog, Spearing, Darby, Shelvey, Kelly, Skrtel, Eccleston, Ayala, Hansen, Gulacsi, Amoo, Dalla Valle, Ince.

GK: Cavalieri
RB: Kelly
LB: Darby
CB: Kyrgiakos
CB: Agger
CM: Lucas
CM: Spearing
RW: Amoo
LW: Jovanovic
AM: Aquilani
FW: Ngog

Subs: Wilson, , Shelvey, , Skrtel, Eccleston, Ayala, Hansen, Gulacsi,  Dalla Valle, Ince.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:36 pm

They had arrived earlier today.The Greek came too.Guess I was wrong :).
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby rocky29 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:42 pm

come on aquaman. Take responsibility for our weakend side and do the business. I really  think this year will be aquamans season heres hoping!
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:15 pm

Lee J wrote:pick a team from this lot...

Cavalieri, Aquilani, Agger, Jovanovic, Kyrgiakos, Lucas, Wilson, Ngog, Spearing, Darby, Shelvey, Kelly, Skrtel, Eccleston, Ayala, Hansen, Gulacsi, Amoo, Dalla Valle, Ince.

I can see us losing with that squad, just lacks far too much experience for an away game in Europe.  This Rabotnicki team will think it's a great opportunity to take a big European scalp and they'll be right up for it.  If we lose by a goal it'll be a decent result.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:53 pm

Cant believe there charging to watch this, it works out at about 7 .99 once youve registerd , feckin hell thats dearer than the match ticket, robbin bas.tards
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 pm

7.99 you serious? That can't be right, that's a lot for 1 game! I don't think prem plus games were even that much on Sky. I'm just gonna watch it on a stream. I think the 2nd leg is on ITV4 though...
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheLad » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:10 am

From SSN:
Roy hits out at schedule
Liverpool boss annoyed that fixture-list dictates team selection

Roy Hodgson has criticised the organisation of the Europa League, claiming that he could not imagine a tougher start to life as Liverpool manager.

The former Fulham boss was named successor to Rafa Benitez earlier in the summer and he faces his first competitive match in Thursday's third round qualifier against FK Rabotnicki in Macedonia.

Hodgson has omitted World Cup participants Steven Gerrard, Joe Cole, Jamie Carragher, Glen Johnson, Javier Mascherano and Maxi Rodriguez from his squad for the trip, with their new club boss suggesting their inclusion would have been 'folly'.

Finalists Fernando Torres, Jose Reina, Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel are also absent as they are still on holiday to leave Liverpool with a shadow squad to that which is expected to kick off their Premier League campaign against Arsenal on 14th August.

Hodgson is far from impressed that his selection has been forced upon him, telling a press conference shown on Sky Sports News: "I couldn't have envisaged at the start of my time with Liverpool a more difficult situation than the one I find myself in.
Tremendous burden

"Coming to Skopje to play a third qualifying round game against a good opponent having really had very little chance to work with the Liverpool first team, and not having as many as 10 senior first-team players at my disposal.

"So it couldn't be more difficult and I suppose, if the worst happens and we don't get through this round because Rabotnicki proved to be the stronger of the teams, then that will answer the question that, yes, we weren't able to sustain with the current situation.

"I think that in World Cup years it is a tremendous burden on the senior teams from countries like England, Spain, Italy and Germany to have to play third qualifying matches on 29th July when the players have not returned from their holidays until 22nd or 23rd July.

"Everybody knows that you can't bring people off the beach, give them three days' training and then throw them into a top-class competitive game.

"So we had no choice, but not to do that and as a result the team that we field tomorrow is going to be a very different team to that which plays against Arsenal on 14th August."

After taking on the Gunners, Liverpool face difficult matches against Manchester City, West Brom, Birmingham and Manchester United in their opening five games to the new Premier League season.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:25 am

ManCity yesterday (friendly) had players in their lineup who participated in the worldcup... Barry, SWP, Toure...etc etc...  Arsenal also had Sagna, Clichy, Eboue, Vela back for their friendly... ManUtd had their new Mexican kid playing last night... Other clubs around Europe are also playing their WC stars in friendly games for long periods...

My point is, surely we can afford to have 2 or 3 established more established players atleast on the bench if the competition mattered to us... Say Gerrard, Joe Cole, Babel.. All sitting on the bench just in-case things get ugly and we need to change thing upfront...

If we go out there and start the likes of Amoo, spearing, Eccelstone, Darby..etc who are all not good enough and most likely never will be, it means that the competition doesnt matter much to us and that we'd be willing to take a big risk to focus on our more important challenges.. 

I couldnt care less about the competition to be honest but i still want to see some of our good players getting some proper match fitness before the season starts.. Might be a good idea using the likes of Babel, Maxi and Joe Cole at least for 20 or 30 mins here...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:41 am

playing in a friendly is different, you can give 22 players 45 minutes each if you wanted. Also, if you lose its no big deal.  This is a competitive game with only 3 subs.
JoeTerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games