Liverpool V Sevilla - Europa League Final - Wed May 18th

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby eds » Wed May 18, 2016 11:03 pm

devaney » Wed May 18, 2016 9:30 pm wrote:Very poor performance. In the first nine minutes we gave away three or four free kicks in very dangerous positions and Sevilla certanly looked the more threatenng side.Sevilla made our lives very difficult in the first 30 minutes and didn't give us a second on the ball. It took a Sturridge wonder goal to wake us up and we could have gone in at half time with a greater lead than 1-0. In the second half we were pathetic and created nothing.  I am amazed that some people actually think we did alright in the first half a choose to blame some of the decisons for our downfall.

Hate to say it but on the night Sevilla were the better team.

Sevilla had one shot on goal in the 1st half and we had 8.

We had two clear handballs in the penalty box not given.

Not sure why and how you are convinced Sevilla were better in the 1st half.

I think there is a certain mentality on here that we don't want to blame ridiculously unjust decisions not impacting the result of the game.

Sevilla steamrolled us in the 2nd half no one is denying that but it should have been a lot harder for them coming down from 3-0 down to what it was at 1-0.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed May 18, 2016 11:07 pm

Thing is eds, even 2 or 3 up, I'm not convinced we'd have stopped them.

Was also telling that Klopp kept Henderson on the bench and brought on Allen instead.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Klopps record in finals is ***** poor.  I hope he shakes things up a bit,  that was a Rodgers style game. 

Let's see the size of Klopps balls now then.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Wed May 18, 2016 11:13 pm

Based on our rubbish 2nd half mate, I agree they may have even done that. But that's not the point I'm making.

Football is such a tactical game. If were 2 or 3 goals up Sevilla would have to have played out of their skins to even come back and draw. Klopp could have had time change things at the half, but because the game was still there to be won at 1-0 it was a different scenario altogether.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby eds » Wed May 18, 2016 11:15 pm

leeroy74 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:12 pm wrote:Klopps record in finals is ***** poor.  I hope he shakes things up a bit,  that was a Rodgers style game. 

Let's see the size of Klopps balls now then.

Yeah I'm also a bit concerned that he is 0-5 in major cup finals.

eds

Postby Doeboy » Wed May 18, 2016 11:17 pm

Killer blow was letting a goal in pretty much straight from the KO in the second half. Had we kept it tight for the first 15-20 mins, think Sevilla would have started to get more desperate and maybe game would have opened the game up. That quick goal basically took all the pressure off them and would have been such a boost that they were able to relax and pretty much implement there game plan. Such a soft goal to. Would think in a final that prat Moreno would be switched on
Doeboy

Postby Penguins » Thu May 19, 2016 12:21 am

I thought we had a decent start to the game and did well for 15 min. Then we lost it a little in the middle of the half and dominated the last 15 min.
The 2nd half we just unravelled after the goal.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Thu May 19, 2016 5:13 am

1st half was probably the most disgraceful referring performance I've ever seen. If this was 5 years ago, I would've been 100% positive the fix was on. It wasn't just the 4 possible denied penalties (Milner getting his feet swept from underneath him easily could've been given- the player wasn't looking at the ball and ran straight into Milner), it was the fact that we couldn't get a single call for the first 20 minutes as they got foul after foul for falling over. The ref didn't understand the advantage rule- time after time he played advantage and we'd lose the ball before his hands would even go down, but never gave us the foul, or any of the bookings they deserve for the late tackles. Our offside goal was obviously offside, and their offside goal was not offside, just very unfortunate that it ricocheted off Coutinho, and he had no problem making those calls, but couldn't give us a single of our 4 possible pens, 2 which couldn't have been more clear.

Unfortunately after they scored 18 seconds into the second half there was only one winner, but the simple fact is if we go into the second half 3-0 like we should have, they never would've scored that goal. It would've been game over at half time.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby C-R » Thu May 19, 2016 5:17 am

In case anybody even wants to see it, here is the post match press conference

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Thu May 19, 2016 7:15 am

ethanr » Thu May 19, 2016 4:13 am wrote:1st half was probably the most disgraceful referring performance I've ever seen. If this was 5 years ago, I would've been 100% positive the fix was on. It wasn't just the 4 possible denied penalties (Milner getting his feet swept from underneath him easily could've been given- the player wasn't looking at the ball and ran straight into Milner), it was the fact that we couldn't get a single call for the first 20 minutes as they got foul after foul for falling over. The ref didn't understand the advantage rule- time after time he played advantage and we'd lose the ball before his hands would even go down, but never gave us the foul, or any of the bookings they deserve for the late tackles. Our offside goal was obviously offside, and their offside goal was not offside, just very unfortunate that it ricocheted off Coutinho, and he had no problem making those calls, but couldn't give us a single of our 4 possible pens, 2 which couldn't have been more clear.

Unfortunately after they scored 18 seconds into the second half there was only one winner, but the simple fact is if we go into the second half 3-0 like we should have, they never would've scored that goal. It would've been game over at half time.

Finally a balanced view on the final.

A lot of you lost your minds after the game and clearly the emotion started clouding your judgement.

We weren't fantastic but were nowhere near as poor as what half of you keep banging on about.

I will repeat what I said the two STONEWALL penalties in the 1st half not given killed the game as much as our poor performance in the 2nd half. :no

Personally I'm gutted that we lost a cup final, CL spot next season, total prize money and the boost we needed to get some quality in over the summer.

But in hindsight had we had some proper officiating and luck had gone our way it would have been a very, very different result.

So let's calm the fking farm, get behind Klopp and our team because we are in a much, much different position than we were last May.

eds

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu May 19, 2016 7:40 am

Where do I start? Some of this will inevitable translate to certain players' threads but here goes. First half we dealt with them well, pressing them and limiting their chances. We got our rewards when Studge did his thing but we should have went in at half time with a bigger lead. Sevilla indulged in the sort of sportsmanship I expected from a Spanish side (I expected more of it from Villareal but Sevilla made amends for their lack of last night), every touch they went down and the referee fell for it time after time. I've not watched the penalty calls back but I think the second handball is nailed on for me - the one where the defender brushes the ball with his hand to play it our for a goal kick (that's what was given anyway)

Then the second half starts in the worst possible fashion. Alberto Moreno - I don't think any more needs to be said of him. It's a shame Gomez got injured because he'd have started that last night and would probably have that position nailed down by now, instead we approach the summer in the precarious position of needing a left back. I do feel for Rodgers in this one because if Moreno was the pick of the left backs the committee put forward he was dead man walking. As the second half continued the pressing game disappeared, this seems to be becoming a regular thing, looking up for it first half and dropping back in the second.

I used to champion him as something special but I can feel my stance on Roberto Firmino altering, is it just me or after his first 4 or 5 touches can you see whether he's going to have any influence over 90 minutes?

I think Klopp has realised the size of the task in front of him, we need a few players who can come straight into the first team. I don't think there's a single player bigger than the manager now and that perhaps stands us in good stead. Another positive is not being in the Europa, sometimes it feels like it isn't but when we see teams dropping points on Sundays after Thursday night games it'll feel a lot better

Onwards and upwards
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Mikz » Thu May 19, 2016 9:05 am

Penguins » Wed May 18, 2016 11:21 pm wrote:I thought we had a decent start to the game and did well for 15 min. Then we lost it a little in the middle of the half and dominated the last 15 min.
The 2nd half we just unravelled after the goal.

Lost it a little.. Thats something that has been happening since the Rodgers days. Even with Suarez we would go through a stage in every game where we would completely lose it and the opposing team would have 5 or 6 good chances.

It cost us last night  :down:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu May 19, 2016 9:05 am

I wish it was onwards and upwards mate but it always seems to be onwards and sideways no matter how much money we spend.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu May 19, 2016 9:07 am

Reg » Thu May 19, 2016 8:05 am wrote:I wish it was onwards and upwards mate but it always seems to be onwards and sideways no matter how much money we spend.

I was saying in hope more than expectation  :down:
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 19, 2016 9:27 am

Being out of the Europa League next season is probably on balance a good thing, I know it's a route into the CL but you have to play the equivalent of half a seasons worth of games to get to the final (17 or 18 matches) and we just haven't got the depth of squad to cope with that sort of workload atm.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the closest we've come to winning the league in the last quarter of a century was when we didn't have European football to contend with so if there's any crumb of comfort we can take from last nights defeat it's that Jurgen has an opportunity next season to really concentrate on the league.
I don't care what anyone says our European exploits have definately affected our league form so as far as I'm concerned it's goodbye and good riddance to that Thursday/Sunday graveyard shift and those 5 hour flights to the middle of nowhere to play brzyzxqz rovers too (not to mention those prem starting XI's that resemble U21 sides).
It might not feel like it now but in time these 2 finals will be looked upon as positives on Jurgen's CV in pretty much the same way as our 2007 CL final loss to Milan and Europa League semi final defeat to Atletico are often used (in conjunction with his trophy wins) to extoll the virtues of Rafa.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games