MANCHESTER UNITED VS LIVERPOOL - Sunday, september 19th.

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Dalglish » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:04 am

If (and I realise its a BIG if) we had won today, we would  have had the same  pts and record over first 5 games as the  Mancs (  2  wins, 2  draws,  1 loss).

In reality we didn't come close to taking 3pts, although the performance today said more about United's inability to mount a serious title challenge this season as Liverpools shortcomings. We know we are in a mess but the deluded ones up the other end of the A580 are  under the illusion they are in with  a sniff of  a record 19th title but it isn't going to happen if their performances thus far this season are anything to go by !

Arsenal, Chelsea and possibly Spurs will finish above United this season and we may have to content ourselves with another season in the poor mans CL.

Whats more important than the CL is the sale of the club to responsible and accountable owners and the weekly bickering over the clubs performance on the field of play is actually secondary. I wish it wasn't and we could all bicker to our hearts content about tactics, performances, players etc.....

Walk on ..........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:28 am

Gutted over the result

However as others have stated, its early days of tough opening season and a new regime

Roll on Sunderland minus the beach balls and lets get back on track
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:07 am

get used to being in the bottom half of the table cos i think were gona be there 4 a while. Roy will be out by christmas with possibly martin oneill to take over.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:18 am

bunglemark2 wrote:Just watched the highlights on MOTD, granted it's edited, but we were well and truly stuffed out wide. Konchesky didn't get a decent challenge in for any of the crosses. And he went AWOL from the post for the first goal....funny, I thought it was a fairly elementary thing to get right i.e. stick to the post. That's exactly where he put the bleedin' ball - if he'd stayed put it was a simple block....

Don't disagree but was Johnson, a £17 million player any better?
He has been a big dissapointment at this club for me. There was one instance yesterday in the first half when Giggs (10 years older) went passed him for pace and another when GJ attempted, and I mean 'attempted' a feeble block of a cross from Giggs also and failed miserably. His distribution at times is shocking.
AND that hair is minging!

Johnson, Maxi (cannot think of anything in particular he has done since he came to LFC), and that lack of flair, imagination are a big worry (mabe Cole in time will provide the latter).

A few moments of Garcia, albeit in a testimonial recently showed what a little flair can do, yeah I know he was inconsistent but a player like that we sadly lack.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:47 am

Dalglish wrote:If (and I realise its a BIG if) we had won today, we would  have had the same  pts and record over first 5 games as the  Mancs (  2  wins, 2  draws,  1 loss).

In reality we didn't come close to taking 3pts, although the performance today said more about United's inability to mount a serious title challenge this season as Liverpools shortcomings. We know we are in a mess but the deluded ones up the other end of the A580 are  under the illusion they are in with  a sniff of  a record 19th title but it isn't going to happen if their performances thus far this season are anything to go by !

Arsenal, Chelsea and possibly Spurs will finish above United this season and we may have to content ourselves with another season in the poor mans CL.

Whats more important than the CL is the sale of the club to responsible and accountable owners and the weekly bickering over the clubs performance on the field of play is actually secondary. I wish it wasn't and we could all bicker to our hearts content about tactics, performances, players etc.....

Walk on ..........

Spot on ian . I hate to say i told people so , but all this bickering over the manager (just like last year infact ) is secondary to what is actually going on at the club . It only helps to take our collective eyes off the ball and the real goal .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:17 am

I actually think this "bickering" is different to last year Igor, simply because even having a debate about the manager with the intensity that some on here are determined to do is at this stage absolutely ridiculous. Even if we'd won every league game 4-0 it would be daft to proclaim Roy as the new Shankly after five league matches, and the same conditions apply when you get people saying "this is what happens when you get a cr@p manager". What makes it all the more bizarre is that even though are results in the corresponding fixtures were virtually identical last season, people still claim that this season has been our worst disaster for years.

Another difference is that those of us who have chosen to take a supportive stance over the manager haven't resorted to blaming the owners and the like, despite the obvious fact that we need new ones. That doesn't mean getting new owners is not important, of course it is, but if Roy signs players which aren't worth whatever money he has available, or picks the wrong team, then it's only right that in the long and short term he carries the can for it.

Hopefully those people who made it abundantly clear that they didn't want Roy as the new manager will eventually come to grips with the fact that he is the manager, and then we can debate football with a little bit of common sense. As I've said a few times, if come the end of the season we don't improve on 7th they will have plenty of time to tell us all that they told us so.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:46 am

bigmick wrote:Feck me it's still going on on here :D

Look, we were second best on the day. I'm as gutted as the next man that we didn't get something out of it, and I was screaming me head off when Gerrard got the second, but the truth of it is we didn't play well enough, or weren't/aren't good enough.

I do think though that for spells we did pretty well. I'm not buying into the doom and gloom, because they are a good side and we gave it a shot.

I know Scott prolly has me down as the opposite to some of the OTT negatives on here, but with the greatest of respect I think I've been fairly honest of late. I don't really know why some people can't just let things go and see how the manager gets on, but seemingly they can't. The bit I don't really get is the rush to tell the world that you didn't want Roy in the first place and "things are panning out" just as you feared. Those of you who didn't want Roy made it abundantly clear at the time, so why not sit on your hands for a bit now and see how it pans out.

If he does feck it up there'll be plenty of scope for "I told you so's". The point is though surely that after five league matches it is utterly ridiculous to draw a conclusion one way or the other. This would apply if we'd won all five as well.

The fact is that if we've won 5 games we'll be very happy, now we feel very fustrated and :censored: off... so you have to deal with what people vent on the forums...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:55 am

If Rafa was still here and we had 5 points from 5 games those defending Roy would screeching from the rooftops.

RAFA OUT !!!!
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:58 am

Nothing wrong with frustrated, so am I. Nothing wrong with being fecked off, so are we all after we got back to 2-2 and lost it. Nothing wrong with being disappointed we haven't improved either enough or more quickly, so am I. Nothing wrong with not wanting Roy as our manager in the first place, so didn't many.

All that said though, there IS something wrong in behaving like spoilt kids, there IS something wrong in gleefully jumping on the manager after FIVE matches and proclaiming that you are "fecking fuming" when he makes a marginal call you wouldn't have gone with, or that new players are terrible when they clearly aren't.

I don't have to "deal" with anything either Magus, TBPH I couldn't give a feck if you lot want to completely embarrass yourselves, and make no mistake that's exactly what you are doing. To proclaim that a manager is either succeeding or failing after five league games is ridiculous, absolutely bizarre. I think you lot are funny I really do, the only way in which I have to "deal" with the stuff you are coming out with is to laugh at it :laugh: .

I did expect such behaviour off of some of you because it was obvious that long before the previous manager had left you had lost any sense of reality, but I must congratulate you all you have surprised even me :D I expected that sometime around January one or two of you wouldbe revealing your true colours, but some of you didn't even wait until the pre season games were over :laugh: Unbelieveable really.

My next task is to work out whether in fact you are actually just completely without any semblance of a clue about football, or whether or not to just feel sorry for you all because you have lost the plot completely.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:02 am

Ciggy wrote:If Rafa was still here and we had 5 points from 5 games those defending Roy would screeching from the rooftops.

RAFA OUT !!!!

Its not even the points thats concerning, its the performance's and the message being sent out. 

We're giving teams far too much respect in the first half of games.  We sit deep and often end up behind.

Also the wrong message is being sent out in my opinion.  A draw against Birmingham is not terrible but Roy seemed far too pleased with it.  Surely players like Gerrard, Torres, reina etc can expect a bit more against Birmigham.

The players and manager seem to constantly repeat that we're not good enough to challenge for the title.  Thats hardly a positive attitude to have.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 am

Ciggy wrote:If Rafa was still here and we had 5 points from 5 games those defending Roy would screeching from the rooftops.

RAFA OUT !!!!

Am not sure he is being defended as vigourously as our previous manager was though ciggs.
I dont personally think Roy has changed things enough for my liking.
But he has to be given time and support.
We have had similar results to last season but that doesnt mean that we would have been better keeping a manager that was clearly failing.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 am

RAFA OUT !!!!

I don't think they would, but surely you can see that the two situations are completely different, even if the results are EXACTLY the same (or even better if we use RIW's method of collating them).

Rafa had been at the helm for SIX SEASONS, Roy hasn't even had SIX MATCHES yet. It's different. If people can't even accept and understand that much, then feck me there's really no point in discussing anything around here.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 am

Ben Patrick wrote:doesnt mean that we would have been better keeping a manager that was clearly failing.

Indeed it doesnt thats why when clubs have ambition they go out and get a better manager than the previous one, and our club has no ambition thats why we didnt get a better manager than the previous one.

We are slowly turning into Everton and Im as bitter as feck about it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:16 am

jacdaniel wrote:Also the wrong message is being sent out in my opinion.  A draw against Birmingham is not terrible but Roy seemed far too pleased with it.  Surely players like Gerrard, Torres, reina etc can expect a bit more against Birmigham.

The players and manager seem to constantly repeat that we're not good enough to challenge for the title.  Thats hardly a positive attitude to have.

But like I have mentioned before, Rafa was also pleased with a draw against birmingham so im guessing they are a difficult team to play against or both managers should be ashamed of themselves.

The realistic attitude of not challenging for the title. We dont have the squad or the finance to compete. Or would you rather he "guarantee" us the title and be even more miffed when he fails?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:29 am

Ciggy wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:doesnt mean that we would have been better keeping a manager that was clearly failing.

Indeed it doesnt thats why when clubs have ambition they go out and get a better manager than the previous one, and our club has no ambition thats why we didnt get a better manager than the previous one.

We are slowly turning into Everton and Im as bitter as feck about it.

Time will tell whether he is better than the previous manager.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games