MANCHESTER UNITED VS LIVERPOOL - Sunday, september 19th.

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:We have to respect opinion, especially when the majority think differently. Some may of thought that Poulsen was the worst player yet the majority did not. In fact according to the 18 members here who voted, ignoring subs, he wasn't even in the bottom 3.

Gerrard 7.64
Meireles 7.17
Cole 6.36
Torres 6.06
Reina 6.03
Johnson 5.67
Poulsen 5.61
Carragher 5.17
Agger 5.11
Skrtel 5.11
Ngog 5.06
Jovanovic 4.67
Konchesky 4.47
Maxi 4.00

In seems amazing that so much focus is on him. Surely the focus should be on Maxi, Konchesky, Skrtel and Carragher. Essentially the votes prove that it was our defence that let us down.

The problem is when two people vote 8 and 7 it will boost the score right up looking through what people rate it was mainly 5s

Not really. 18 people voted, two high scores would not move the voting pattern by much.

The result is that on average Poulsen came out better than 4 other starters.

Poulsen's votes ranged from 3 to 8

Score/Votes
3 / 1
4 / 2
5 / 5
5.5 / 1
6 / 4
6.5 / 1
7 / 3
8 / 1

The voting median is between 5 and 6. If I ignore all votes 7 or greater he still rates above 5.

You need to accept the concensus is that Poulsen was average not bad.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Oh I accept mate - got no problem with it - even going by the results he was only just ahead of the defence so was still poor when you consider the other people in midfield where averaging 7s and 8s
Benny The Noon

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 pm

I actually thought Poulson although awful in the first half ,showed  a decidedly marked improvement in the second to such an extent that I rated him as one of our most influential players as the game reached its conclusion .... however I still feel Fletcher would have been grateful not to have seen Lucas in the starting eleven such was his dominance of our midfield in the first half ...anyway we all see different things from a different perspective ....that said the loss of Mascherano is having a profound effect on our performances this season as there is currently no-one at the club who has his energy .....big loss because if you marry up yesterdays performance with the Arsenal game , one players absence stands out like the proverbial sore thumb ..........
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:02 pm

what do u expect we loose a 20 million pound quality young midfielder in mash and replace him with an old cheap player who couldnt get in the first team in italy. Was u expecting him to come in and be better than mash. What a joke
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby rocky29 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:06 pm

what do u expect we loose a 20 million pound quality young midfielder in mash and replace him with an old cheap player who couldnt get in the first team in italy. Was u expecting him to come in and be better than mash. What a joke
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:31 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I actually thought Poulson although awful in the first half ,showed  a decidedly marked improvement in the second to such an extent that I rated him as one of our most influential players as the game reached its conclusion .... however I still feel Fletcher would have been grateful not to have seen Lucas in the starting eleven such was his dominance of our midfield in the first half ...anyway we all see different things from a different perspective ....that said the loss of Mascherano is having a profound effect on our performances this season as there is currently no-one at the club who has his energy .....big loss because if you marry up yesterdays performance with the Arsenal game , one players absence stands out like the proverbial sore thumb ..........

Xabi Alonso.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:39 pm

bigmick wrote:What I do condemn though, is when they insist on clouding every football discussion with repeats of their stance on the manager, both implied and stated.

Dude, you did this for years with Rafa   :D ! Not after 5 matches but for ages proper football chat went out the window for this very reason. Roy's getting at least a season from me before I pass judgement but it is odd to continue to beat the pro-turned-antis while denying the presence of the anti-turned-pros. Middle of the road is where it's at!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 pm

fivecups wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I actually thought Poulson although awful in the first half ,showed  a decidedly marked improvement in the second to such an extent that I rated him as one of our most influential players as the game reached its conclusion .... however I still feel Fletcher would have been grateful not to have seen Lucas in the starting eleven such was his dominance of our midfield in the first half ...anyway we all see different things from a different perspective ....that said the loss of Mascherano is having a profound effect on our performances this season as there is currently no-one at the club who has his energy .....big loss because if you marry up yesterdays performance with the Arsenal game , one players absence stands out like the proverbial sore thumb ..........

Xabi Alonso.

Ok we will  consolidate our respective  opinions and say   one player with the best attributes of each player combined
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the worlds first football hybrid
......Maschalonso
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:57 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
fivecups wrote:

Xabi Alonso.

Ok we will  consolidate our respective  opinions and say   one player with the best attributes of each player combined
......Maschalonso

:D .

Seriously though, I lost count of the number of times I wished Masch was still a Liverpool player yesterday.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:08 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Ok we will  consolidate our respective  opinions and say   one player with the best attributes of each player combined
......Maschalonso

Yeah but he aint as good as ...

Alonserano

(and for greater effect add in the shooting star deep voice echo eg "uranoooo" or "ufavoooo")
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:10 pm

fivecups wrote:Seriously though, I lost count of the number of times I wished Masch was still a Liverpool player yesterday.

Me too lad ...and yet we were  reliably informed on a regular basis by are apparently more knowledgeable contributors to this forum    that we wouldn't miss him  ???
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:49 pm

Reg wrote:
bigmick wrote:Nothing wrong with frustrated, so am I. Nothing wrong with being fecked off, so are we all after we got back to 2-2 and lost it. Nothing wrong with being disappointed we haven't improved either enough or more quickly, so am I. Nothing wrong with not wanting Roy as our manager in the first place, so didn't many.

All that said though, there IS something wrong in behaving like spoilt kids, there IS something wrong in gleefully jumping on the manager after FIVE matches and proclaiming that you are "fecking fuming" when he makes a marginal call you wouldn't have gone with, or that new players are terrible when they clearly aren't.

I don't have to "deal" with anything either Magus, TBPH I couldn't give a feck if you lot want to completely embarrass yourselves, and make no mistake that's exactly what you are doing. To proclaim that a manager is either succeeding or failing after five league games is ridiculous, absolutely bizarre. I think you lot are funny I really do, the only way in which I have to "deal" with the stuff you are coming out with is to laugh at it :laugh: .

I did expect such behaviour off of some of you because it was obvious that long before the previous manager had left you had lost any sense of reality, but I must congratulate you all you have surprised even me :D I expected that sometime around January one or two of you wouldbe revealing your true colours, but some of you didn't even wait until the pre season games were over :laugh: Unbelieveable really.

My next task is to work out whether in fact you are actually just completely without any semblance of a clue about football, or whether or not to just feel sorry for you all because you have lost the plot completely.

Mick your posts are the work of an artisté, the way you are distancing yourself from your fanatical hatred of Rafa and endless, endless posts last season dominating every thread determined to push your views onto this forum and battering anyone who disagreed into submission and now - you make equally rapid posts condemning anyone who is suggesting Woy isnt the right man. Its masterful mate, apart from the fact none of us are stupid and we all remember your fanatical spew of last year which makes your holier than thou attitude a joke.  You wanrt to take a step back mate because whilst your posts are pretty, they're also hollow.

Spot on SIR REG   :bowdown
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:57 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
fivecups wrote:Seriously though, I lost count of the number of times I wished Masch was still a Liverpool player yesterday.

Me too lad ...and yet we were  reliably informed on a regular basis by are apparently more knowledgeable contributors to this forum    that we wouldn't miss him  ???

Oh we are missing him alright - we are missing him as much as we missed xabi last season . If masher was playing yesterday there is no way scholes fletcher would of had as much time on the ball as they did .
Benny The Noon

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:04 pm

Tonight's Liverpool Echo by James Pearce

STEVEN GERRARD smooching with the camera in front of the delirious travelling Kop and Old Trafford stunned into silence – it was like Liverpool had turned back the clock.

The last time their skipper started planting smackers on Sky Sports’ lens in that particular corner of enemy territory he had fired Liverpool in front and on course for an emphatic 4-1 victory over their arch rivals.

It was March 2009 and after the Reds’ biggest win at Old Trafford for 73 years, supporters were dreaming of the Premier League title.

Manchester United had been ripped to bits by a rampant attacking display and fans left chuckling at Alex Ferguson’s bizarre claim that United were “the better team”.

Nine-times European Cup winners Real Madrid had been hammered 4-0 at Anfield four days earlier and the quarter-final draw of the Champions League was eagerly anticipated.

Just 18 months have past since those unforgettable contests but how times have changed. Liverpool have taken a quantum leap – backwards.

The Reds no longer get to mix with Europe’s elite and the real fear is they are fast losing touch with those at the top end of the domestic game.

Dogged by the disastrous reign of their absentee American owners, there’s been a chronic lack of investment in a squad in desperate need of strengthening to compete at the highest level.

Key players have been let down by a trail of broken promises over investment and that compounded with the mistakes Rafa Benitez made last season ensured a malaise has set in.

Roy Hodgson’s mission is to stop the rot but the fact is his hopes of transforming the club’s fortunes are thin until the long-running ownership saga is resolved.

When he puckered up 18 months ago Gerrard was delivering a shot in the arm to the Reds’ title push.

This season may only be five games old but the idea that Liverpool are going to muster a challenge for top spot this time around is fanciful.

Yesterday the captain showed his passion having seemingly secured a point which would have been cherished like a victory.

Liverpool had been outplayed for an hour and were dead and buried before Gerrard’s quickfire double turned the contest on its head.

His free-kick through United’s poorly assembled wall sparked joyous scenes and looked like being the kiss of life Liverpool’s stuttering league campaign so desperately needed.

However, on the brink of a major boost to morale, Hodgson’s men shot themselves in the foot.

Hat-trick hero Dimitar Berbatov was outstanding but the space he was allowed inside Liverpool’s penalty area yesterday was alarming. Pepe Reina was left woefully exposed.

It was a tale of two number nines.
One who benefited from a succession of quality deliveries into the box and went home with the match ball.

The other who, for the second weekend in succession, was left to feed off scraps and remained firmly on the periphery. Fernando Torres has given Nemanja Vidic plenty of sleepless nights in the past but he needs the ball and for long periods yesterday he didn’t get it.

It was all too pedestrian and predictable.

It seemed strange for Liverpool to be so intent on containment when United’s Achilles’ heel is clearly at the heart of their rearguard.

When the visitors were left chasing the game and pressed the ball further up the pitch they suddenly found themselves the beneficiaries of United’s kamikaze defending.

There was plenty of pre-match back-slapping between Ferguson and his old pal Hodgson as they walked along the touchline together.

In his programme notes Ferguson delivered a ringing endorsement of Hodgson’s appointment.

“At least they have the right man for the job with Roy Hodgson in charge,” he said.

“I have known Roy for a long time and his efforts with Fulham last season warranted him taking over at a major club.”

However, Hodgson discovered there was no room for sentiment as Ferguson couldn’t resist the chance to twist the knife in afterwards as he labelled the defeat for Liverpool a “catastrophe”.

It’s not, but a poor return of five points from their opening five games is cause for concern.

Of course the schedule has done Hodgson no favours having had to face Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United early on with his preparations dogged by players returning late from the World Cup and then the autumn international breaks.

But Liverpool must raise the bar quickly or kiss goodbye to Hodgson’s dream of leading the club back into the Champions League.

Good piece that ......and it simply underlines the significance of finishing in the top four and how its essential that Liverpool and Roy Hodgson abandon this cautious and cowardly approach to games
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Ah yes I forgot about Gerrards camera kiss celebration!

Classic
Fauxy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games