Manchester City Vs Liverpool SUN 10th APR 16:30 KO

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:04 am

I’ll take it, I wish we had won but a draw was a fair result.
Last edited by kazza on Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:37 am

Even though we drew the game you could see exactly where the problem was. Their midfield was quicker all over the field than ours. Players like Bernando, KDB, Foden carry the ball well and create openings for the forwards. Our highline really benefitted them with the through balls.

I love Thiago, Hendo and Fab but they wasn't quick enough to deal with the ball runners and it caused us all kind of problems. I understand Klopp went for experience and he was wise to do so.. I think we miss Gini in these types of games and also a fit Ox always played well vs City.

I think we've got this Carvalho kid signed up in principle for next season... but I'd pay alot to get Jude Bellingham here and them 2 could add alot to closing the gap on City.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:26 am

It will be interesting to see how Klopp adjusts to how they played us in the FA cup semifinal. We were playing such a high line trying to catch them offside but aside from the Sterling offside goal they were able to beat our trap more often than not. On the other side they pressed us back on many occasions and we could not benefit from long balls over the top quite like they did.

I thought Salah had a quiet game although he improved a little towards the end, Cancelo seemed to have his number. If he wants to be the best player in the world it is now that judgements are made he needs to start making a mark, and we really need him. Hendo was probably our worst player but all the midfield seemed to be out played, I thought we were better with Keita. Hendo ran a lot and closed down but I thought never seemed to have that bit of class to play through them. Thiago worries me how he lunges in and I’m not surprised he gets injured alot, I though that tackle on KDB could have injured his own leg.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tommy Smith » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:27 pm

It was a poor game from the Liverpool team, the defense was badly exposed and all four were all over the place due to the naive tactic of the high line, the draw has favored Liverpool, and the advantage is still with City to claim the league crown. All our players were poor apart from Thiago, the poorest player was Salah whereas Cancelo had him in his pocket, and Salah should have been replaced at halftime.  So much for Salah to ask for £500K weekly wages, he doesn't worth it!!

Good Luck Lads
Tommy Smith
LFC Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:06 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:37 pm wrote:I think we've got this Carvalho kid signed up in principle for next season... but I'd pay alot to get Jude Bellingham here and them 2 could add alot to closing the gap on City.

There's no evidence that Bellingham would be any more successful than Sancho at United.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:19 pm

Reg » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:06 pm wrote:
UvS xR4GEx » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:37 pm wrote:I think we've got this Carvalho kid signed up in principle for next season... but I'd pay alot to get Jude Bellingham here and them 2 could add alot to closing the gap on City.

There's no evidence that Bellingham would be any more successful than Sancho at United.

I would bet that Sancho would have been much better at Liverpool, ManUre should not be used as an example as they have so many toxic players. Bellingham is also a completely different style player that would probably fit in nicely. Klopp seems to favor above all else “good personalities” that don’t have big egos.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:24 pm

Somebody mentioned that they had a bit of luck for their first goal. Now I don't want to be too harsh, but has anyone noticed that like 90% of the deflected goals we've conceded have come off of Matip? Like I said I don't want to be too harsh, but this is the second time I'm writing this comment this season and it seems more to me that Matip can just be poor at blocking shots at times and not down to luck when we concede such a goal.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:08 pm

I'm happy we're still chasing closely rather than City four points ahead ,I think yesterday was a massive opportunity missed for City based solely on reflection of the play. I certainly wasnt confident of picking up a point much less three based on how City have played against us in the past in their own yard.

Other than that ,City were head and shoulders the best team in that first half and deservedly so because their midfield was superb ,I honestly don't think we've ever been subject to such intense pressing because their work rate was completely off the scale, but thankfully their levels visibly dropped in the second and it was only really on 80 mins that they started to play again. I'd personally be gutted if that was at Anfield and we were that much on top only to let the impetus slip away in the second half and I would rightly view it as two points dropped with it being a home game.

I actually cant wait for the Semi final just to see how the tactics from both managers play out in an effort to counteract and nullify the threats. I'd like to say in hindsight City kind of showed their hand in the game on Sunday so the second half acted like Liverpool's inoculation if you like.

I personally think City were fully expectant on winning that game and widening the gap to four points ,so to leave that game with the reds still firmly in their @rse pocket and breathing down their necks would have been a significant blow. We will just take every game one battle at a time and see where that leaves us when the league reaches the race for the wire.

I can only reiterate ,I never expected to win in City's yard and our record over the years there has been nothing short of abysmal ,so I'm actually delighted with the point and the second half performance from the boys especially given how City murdered us in that first half.

I think if you ask any supporter familiar with his team chasing titles its not the sides in the top four that concerns you the most as its usually the games you expect to win ,both teams have to play Newcastle a game on paper that should see three points on the board ,but it rarely pans out like that. I'm not concerned about playing United and Spurs ,but I'd wager we could struggle with nerves in the games away at Villa and Southampton ,likewise City away to Leeds and the Hammers.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:20 am

Good post Red.

Surely the two sides can't fly at each other for the next games? I wonder if Klopp suggested to Pep they field some second level players for the FA Cup?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:28 pm

Before the game the only questions for me where if we find a place for Naby and if Firmino starts instead of Jota. Over the last couple of years the only one of our midfielders who could cope with the City press was Gini. For all their qualities, Henderson and Fabinho are not the most press resistant and in games against City look cumbersome. Thiago took over from Gini in being able to compete with the City midfield and had a really good game. Thiago, Keita, Jones, and Elliott, are more press resistant than Henderson, Fabinho, Milner, and Ox. So I'd make sure two of them play in the cup game. Probably Thiago and Naby flanking Fabinho, with Firmino up top to help them out.

The pattern was similar to the last game with City coming out full throttle in the first half and then us getting back into the game as they tired. Our attacking play was really good. But apart from Matip, who was immense, our defence looked a bit ruffled, van Djik included. We scored 2 lovely goals and could have had more. Not many teams can say that about their visit to the Etihad.
Eagle

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games