LIVERPOOL VS EVERTON - Merseyside derby

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:39 am

did sissoko really get sacked? or did he just get hit in the thigh? arteta and nevielle deserved to be sent off haha. Good game
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:43 am

Not long been back for the game which we won without breaking sweat. The gulf in class is wider than it's bene for a long time and Everton have some very average players especially in defence.

We played a lot on the break and beat Everton for pace every time.I was impressed with Warnock who I thought had a good game, Stevie G had acres of space and looked a threat.

Another 3 points at another Away ground where we got nothing last season...... job done :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:50 am

Great result  - well done lads.  The ref did well by stamping his authority on the game nice and early letting it be known that he wasnt going to stand for the usual derby 'let's kick two shades of sh.ite' out of each other tactics.  Probably saved us at least one of or players from injury in my opinion.

As expected, Neverton appeared to be up for the game but their sheer ineptitude means that even at 110% they are no match for us at 50%.  TBH I thought we only played to about 60% of our ability - instead of bossing the game from start to finish we let the blueshite have a fair share of posession - have to put this down to the derby day effect I guess. 

On the positive side though, it was good to see that finally, both our strikers made the most of (by our normal standards) limited opportunities. Crouch and Cisse both finished with aplomb and the final ball to each was pretty good too. Gerrard's diving header to put enough pace on the ball for Crouch was excellent and Kewell's vision and technique to get the ball to Cisse in space deserves a mention too. 
Gerrard's goal was classic StevieG and IMO was going in without the deflection as Martyn was unsighted and it was a fair old rocket off the boot.

I was a little dissapointed that we conceded the goal, but if anyone was going to do it it was the bluesh.ite on derby day. It is puzzling how our lads failed to deal with Everton's aerial balls though we seemed to be defending a little bit deeper than normal occaisionally today.  Still as long as we are putting away our chances like today (IMO our key area for improvement) and being miserly if not watertight at the back we should continue to threaten the league leaders.
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oooalxooo » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:58 am

mighty mo wrote:kewell is looking real sharp now,maybe with thew world cup approaching it has made him up his game

totally agree with you

he has really picked up his game the last few now we are going to see the real harry kewell

the team on a whole is amazing. i agree with the guys on sky it might be the best liverpool team since the early 90s
LFC
oooalxooo

Postby matrix » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:59 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:Gray was so biased tonight it was untrue.

you can say that again jonny  he :censored: me right off   :veryangry

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:21 am

ok we never played our best but when is a mersey derby a beautiful game... the way we started we could have gone on to destroy them but 2 goals up i think we tried to contain everton to much instead of playing the same attacking tempo that we started with...but thats why we have won 9 in a row the defensive system...just think this side is still about 3 players short of rafas ideal 11  frightning  :;):

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:23 am

I predicted a win with crouch and gerrard to score however i predicted a clean sheet. Gutted for Pepe tho
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:35 am

i have a big grin on my face,the team we are  seeing  today is awesome,the best team i have seen for a long time,and it is better than the treble cup team by far,we can play differant styles for any opponant and can move through the gears with ease,when we have a decent RW "joaquin" ,the sky is the limit
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:46 am

Lol is it just me, or are our oppositions always getting red cards playing against us? Eghiogh(sp) for Boro, Riggott for Boro, Bowyer for Newcastle, Arteta and Phil Neville for Everton, and etc. I guess that is somewhat due to our style of play in the middle, with slick one touch football and teams just couldn't handle us and must resort in dirty challenges.

Anyways, I'd go such a team against West Brom at home, a perfect opportunity to rest some key players, and I assume Hamann is at least fit enough to make the bench:

Reina

Josemi  Carragher  Hyypia  Traore

Garcia  Sissoko  Alonso  Riise

Pongolle  Morientes

SUBS: Dudek, Cisse, Gerrard, Kewell, Crouch.

Then the Bolton game 2 days later:

Reina

Finnan  Carragher  Hyypia  Warnock

Gerrard  Sissoko  Alonso  Kewell

Cisse  Crouch

SUBS: Dudek, Morientes, Riise, Hamann, Garcia.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:08 am

I think we won last night match because Garcia only played in the 2nd half. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player but I just don't like player that cannot keep the ball.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby GOAT » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:29 am

Things looking very promising for reds supporters. We are lookin invincible at the moment and we are very strong in everythin we do. With the transfer window close all we can do is improve
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:30 am

Things looking very promising for reds supporters. We are lookin invincible at the moment and we are very strong in everythin we do. With the transfer window close all we can do is improve

Agree ... can't wait who that we going to buy ?
LiverpoolMadman

Postby GOAT » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:35 am

id like to see players of the calibre of kompany, joaquin, simao coming in in january but i know that probably isnt going to happen. We've been linked with a host of players so i await  with anticipation the opening of the transfer window to find out what rafa is going to do.
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby GOAT » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:16 am

TELEGRAPH

Everton lose their cool as blues deepen
By Henry Winter 

Nine wins on the spin, Liverpool's hot streak in the Premiership continued at ice station Goodison last night but Everton remain caught in the Big Chill and a fourth successive reverse has them dropping faster than the mercury.

Fine derby strikes from Peter Crouch, Steven Gerrard and Djibril Cisse embarrassed the hosts' defence, though James Beattie did at least end Liverpool's record run of clean sheets. Everton worked hard, feeding on the passion flowing from the terraces, but some of their competitive edge slipped over into excess.

Phil Neville and Mikel Arteta walked for double yellows and received further censure when their manager, David Moyes, arrived in the dressing room. "The two boys were stupid," he said. "They were on bookings. They wanted to show they care, that it mattered. I would rather have them that way, than the other. But they know they let their team-mates down." Everton will also be fined £25,000 for having six players booked.

Moyes stressed that his commitment to the job remained undimmed. "I'll be there on the touchline next week," he said. "I'll stand up to be co :censored:ed. We have to keep believing."

Belief is etched on Liverpool's movements. Last night was all about confidence, pace and power against uncertainty, European champions against a side on the slide: Liverpool were a class - let alone a local park - apart from their neighbours last night.

"We've now got the bragging rights :censored:il the next derby," said Gerrard, before re-focusing his thoughts upwards on the title race. "Chelsea are a fantastic side. We've just got to concentrate on our own game and carry on winning."

Everton's programme presciently described the visitors as a "mean machine" and Liverpool have certainly acquired the ruthlessness to roll over lesser opposition. At one point early in the second half, Gerrard sped past Simon Davies and Neville, who crashed into each other like rookie policemen chasing a street-wise pickpocket.

Inspired by their captain, playing with terrific speed of thought and movement, Liverpool were Everton's superiors, master craftsmen giving a lesson in the footballing arts and sciences to callow apprentices.

Within 11 minutes, Liverpool were ahead, the ball speeding from Momo Sissoko to Cisse and then Gerrard, whose clever header down the inside-right channel deceived Everton's defence and allowed Crouch a clear run at Nigel Martyn. Crouch calmly rounded Martyn and drove in his sixth goal of the month.

One became two after 17 minutes. When Martyn punched a Gerrard free kick out, Xabi Alonso and Sami Hyypia worked the ball right to Steve Finnan. The full-back's cross was headed out by Tim Cahill but only to Gerrard. The ball was swiftly dispatched past Martyn, with a slight deflection off Joseph Yobo. Goodison was aghast.

Perhaps anticipating their manager's half-time wrath, Moyes' players stirred themselves to score a fine goal, so wrecking Liverpool's hopes of breaking the club record of nine clean sheets set in 1923. Here, finally, were Everton attacking with precision and belief, moving the ball swiftly to catch out their visitors' noted back-line.

Arteta did well down the right, scooping the ball across to the far post, where Kevin Kilbane headed back. Davies took the ball on his chest and flicked it on towards Beattie. The Everton striker had hitherto looked alarmingly static against Jamie Carragher and Hyypia, but he did well here, leaping up, twisting his body to glance a header into the net.

"We were disappointed to concede just before half-time, and we were expecting a battle in the second half," Carragher said.

Not for long. Shortly after the re-start, Weir played Cisse onside and Everton were left exposed. Cisse galloped on, avoided Weir's despairing challenge before curling the ball brilliantly past Martyn. "That goal killed the game off," added Carragher.

Worse befell Everton. They were denied a legitimate-looking goal when Beattie headed home, only for Cahill's cross to be deemed out. Then Neville departed for fouls on Cisse and Sissoko. Beattie then missed a sitter before Arteta followed Neville down the tunnel for fouls on Hyypia and Luis Garcia.

Everton now travel to Sunderland on Saturday for a match that will be high on anxiety but low on beauty. Liverpool's 'mean machine' rolls on.
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:41 am

GOAT wrote:yeah and i was one saying harry kewell should be given another chance and he can get back to what he was. Most doubted it

Not me......

Harry kewell is still our most technically gifted player. I reckon he is playing at 60 - 70% of his capability.....Imagine if he plays close to 100%  :buttrock
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games