LIVERPOOL vs ASTON VILLA - 24/08/09 - 8PM K.O

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 am

bigmick wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:They might not have been the best in possession but their defence played really well it has to be said. They really did work as a unit and thwart most of what we had to offer.

Good plan though LFC, and it's one we'll run into again unless we get ourselves sorted. Quite simply, if nobody is prepared to either bring the bring the ball out of defence or pass it further than 20 yards and with a bit of snap, we are going to hae all sorts of trouble getting Torres and Gerrard into the game.

Some posters think that Lucas is being singled out but he isn't, not by me anyway. He simply isn't anywhere near good enough a ball distributer to fill in the hole left by Alonso. Either Masherano must step up to the plate (if indeed he's capable) or we move Gerrard back.

Which Alonso did we miss though? The inmeasurably better Alonso of last season only? or perhaps the inmeasurably worse player with a dip of form could have been handy aswell, that is, did we miss only last season's Alonso?

I just want to put bounds to what inmeasurably and dip of form means because it's the kind of thing I didn't get. Sure Alonso played better last season, but even in his dip, he was a better option than most midfielders.

Anyhow, and coming from a man that did praise Alonso always, I must say that we have to believe in the squad. Liverpool wasn't Alonso only, and people like Mascherano and Gerrard have industrial amounts of quality aswell, I think we'll improve soon enough, but it must be soon!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 am

Well said Sabre!! I will post you your Euro's later :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 am

Sabre wrote:
bigmick wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:They might not have been the best in possession but their defence played really well it has to be said. They really did work as a unit and thwart most of what we had to offer.

Good plan though LFC, and it's one we'll run into again unless we get ourselves sorted. Quite simply, if nobody is prepared to either bring the bring the ball out of defence or pass it further than 20 yards and with a bit of snap, we are going to hae all sorts of trouble getting Torres and Gerrard into the game.

Some posters think that Lucas is being singled out but he isn't, not by me anyway. He simply isn't anywhere near good enough a ball distributer to fill in the hole left by Alonso. Either Masherano must step up to the plate (if indeed he's capable) or we move Gerrard back.

Which Alonso did we miss though? The inmeasurably better Alonso of last season only? or perhaps the inmeasurably worse player with a dip of form could have been handy aswell, that is, did we miss only last season's Alonso?

I just want to put bounds to what inmeasurably and dip of form means because it's the kind of thing I didn't get. Sure Alonso played better last season, but even in his dip, he was a better option than most midfielders.

Anyhow, and coming from a man that did praise Alonso always, I must say that we have to believe in the squad. Liverpool wasn't Alonso only, and people like Mascherano and Gerrard have industrial amounts of quality aswell, I think we'll improve soon enough, but it must be soon!

I think we miss both Alonso's Sabes (the form dipper and the revitalised genius) when we replace him with Lucas, because quite simply there is no comparison between the two players. If this Aquilani bloke turns out to be a good player, then obviously we won't miss Alonso as much, but at the moment with Lucas in Alonso's shoes the deficit in terms of trade off is obvious.

It's not helped by neither Gerrard nor Torres really being on their game yet, but it would be churlish to deny that those who claimed we would struggle to function as fluently without Xabi have so far been proven right. I hope though when we get a player in there of higher quality, the loss won't be so great. Unfortunately it's begining to look like we'll either have to consign Lucas to the "not actually good enough" room along with a couple of others, or alternatively by the time Aquilani comes in we'll be out of it anyway regardless of how good he proves to be.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 am

Sami Hyypia would never be beaten to a header at the post like these lot.

In my eyes he was still the most experienced defender we had, he commanded respect
from attackers when in defence, fair enough he never had any pace.. But his reading of the game
was exceptional and we could have done with him last night.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:18 am

...is it safe to come in here?  morning all. :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 am

Lee J wrote:...is it safe to come in here?  morning all. :D

GRRRRRRRRRR.....  :veryangry
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby tubby » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:39 am

GOAT wrote:Man the gaffer doesnt half talk sh.ite sometimes haha "When you are losing, the only way to change things is to win - that's the only way."

To be honest if you look at a lot of what all managers and pundits say half the time it really is BS.  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:41 am

Safer than trap 3 so far.

(Bigmick, cheers for the answer, that's the one I expected but I wanted to be sure)
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 am

Just to see the glee in MON's face makes me feel sick.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:44 am

Sabre wrote:

Safer than trap 3 so far.

(Bigmick, cheers for the answer, that's the one I expected but I wanted to be sure)

yep your right sabes, that split toilet seat is deadly.

So what next? Reckon Rafa will change owt for the next game? I think we'll maybe see our Greek play, Riera on the wing. One thing for sure is our confidence must be fairly low at the mo.

Lets hope we go on a run of wins now and the mancs/chelsea/citeh/ar$ebandits all screw up a few times.

come on Rafa, we love ya fella...

get 'em sorted out
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:50 am

Anybody know what the REAL truth behind the omission of Rieira is ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby mistyred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 am

bunglemark2 wrote:Anybody know what the REAL truth behind the omission of Rieira is ?

Probably gonna be sold in the next week mate.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 am

I couldn't wait for it to end last night, that's how bad it was.

No creativity and shocking defending. Infact the game was no different to last year in that teams who come and put ten behind the ball have a lot of success as we can't break them down. When we end up with Gerrard (who had a shocker) playing deeper than Mascherano, that pretty much sums it up.

I was more worried by the player's attitudes though. Last season we went behind a lot of times and showed never say die spirit to fight back. Last night it was as if the players had just accepted defeat.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Raj_Xedos » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:09 pm

Liverpool didnt play badly, it was villa who made the most of mistakes. Saying that, they didnt play well themselves......

Gerrard giving away summed the game up for me, he was trying so so so hard it clouded his judgement.
There was a massive gap between mascherano and gerrard, also when lucas got the ball, he just looked sideways with yards of space in front of him.......

Will aqualani fill that gap??? Ive never seen him play, although i have seen his goals and they are superb....!
Raj_Xedos

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:57 pm

stmichael wrote:I couldn't wait for it to end last night, that's how bad it was.

No creativity and shocking defending. Infact the game was no different to last year in that teams who come and put ten behind the ball have a lot of success as we can't break them down. When we end up with Gerrard (who had a shocker) playing deeper than Mascherano, that pretty much sums it up.

I was more worried by the player's attitudes though. Last season we went behind a lot of times and showed never say die spirit to fight back. Last night it was as if the players had just accepted defeat.

TBH mate , we are now always expected to come back when we are down , the comeback kings , i kind of feel we overachieved last season and now without alonso we are weaker in that respect , i'd get shot for this but we'd be lucky to make fourth . We've got a week till the transfer season shuts , hopefully we'll get someone like VDV in to sort out the lucas problem
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games