LIVERPOOL vs ASTON VILLA - 24/08/09 - 8PM K.O

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:38 pm

I thought we did well for the first 20 mins, but once we took our foot off the gas the sloppy passes that are excusable when you are playing flat out became inexcusable as the pace of the game dropped. Yes we had a little bad luck tonight but in all honesty I don't think it was a game we can look back on with much pride. Masch was probably the only player who came out of the game with much credit.....

Too many players had a poor game tonight and we never looked like winning once they went in front. Certainly for me there was a lack of urgency and we played the whole second half at a pace that suited Villa.
account deleted by request

Postby tubby » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:39 pm

Im sure Rafa being the perfectionist he is will be doing just that now. The good thing about this is we normally bounce back hard after a bad performance.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dazzer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:40 pm

bavlondon wrote:We need Agger, Aquilani fit and we need Albert Riera playing. 3 A's people!!!!! :;):

Think last of those 3 is gone within the week.

Lets hope Rafa gets the money to spend on a replacement or 2.

I don't agree about the heads dropping (nothing personal...I rarely agree with those kinds of interpretations) and I certainly don't think we should bin the formation or our set-piece marking on the back of a couple bad results.  We've proven numerous times over the last few years that both are quite effective for us and it would strike me as very much throwing out the baby with the bath water.

IMO, the problem is with our fluency at the moment.  That's not down to our formation or zonal marking or even the personnel in large part.  To me, it's mostly an issue with being rusty.  We are notoriously slow starters and even last year, we were getting some very fortunate results at the beginning of the season on the back of poor performances.  At the moment, the passing is just not crisp enough and the understanding between players isn't yet where it needs to be.  We'll get there but I hope we haven't lost sight of the league leaders by the time we do.

I hope you are right bob but was watching on ESPN on HD and they looked pretty depressed to me.  :(
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:40 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:We need Agger, Aquilani fit and we need Albert Riera playing. 3 A's people!!!!! :;):

Don't see what difference Agger would have made, other than he's likely to have a pot at goal when others seem to want to walk the ball into the goal. I'll give you that.
Riera ? What difference would he have made ?
Aquilani - who knows ?

I think Agger is a far superior defender to Skrtel and im sure he wouldn't have let Davies get loose for that goal.

Riera gave us so much width last season have people forgotten already? Jesus some have short memories here.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:42 pm

bavlondon wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:

Don't see what difference Agger would have made, other than he's likely to have a pot at goal when others seem to want to walk the ball into the goal. I'll give you that.
Aquilani - who knows ?

I think Agger is a far superior defender to Skrtel and im sure he wouldn't have let Davies get loose for that goal.

Riera gave us so much width last season have people forgotten already? Jesus some have short memories here.

He can't cross a ball to save his life though.....

Though neither could Insua tonight either.....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby tubby » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:42 pm

Dazzer wrote:

Think last of those 3 is gone within the week.

Lets hope Rafa gets the money to spend on a replacement or 2.

I don't agree about the heads dropping (nothing personal...I rarely agree with those kinds of interpretations) and I certainly don't think we should bin the formation or our set-piece marking on the back of a couple bad results.  We've proven numerous times over the last few years that both are quite effective for us and it would strike me as very much throwing out the baby with the bath water.

IMO, the problem is with our fluency at the moment.  That's not down to our formation or zonal marking or even the personnel in large part.  To me, it's mostly an issue with being rusty.  We are notoriously slow starters and even last year, we were getting some very fortunate results at the beginning of the season on the back of poor performances.  At the moment, the passing is just not crisp enough and the understanding between players isn't yet where it needs to be.  We'll get there but I hope we haven't lost sight of the league leaders by the time we do.

I hope you are right bob but was watching on ESPN on HD and they looked pretty depressed to me.  :(

I can't see Rafa selling him. He just said the other day we cant lose any more players. And assuming if he did, if we didn't bring in a suitable replacement (and by that I mean someone with quality, not bargain basement) we would be in a lot of trouble.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:44 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:

Aquilani - who knows ?

He can't cross a ball to save his life though.....

Though neither could Insua tonight either.....

No but Riera had a lot of intelligence when it came to working moves and assisting in building attacks. We looked out of ideas agasinst Spurs and at times again tonight. If we play any of the top 4 as we are I honestly cannot see us picking up points against any of them and that is a shocking thing to say considering our record against them last year.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:44 pm

I don't think you guys need to worry too much.  Every team drops form sometime every season and we might as well just do it now.   I'm sure that once this team finds it's rhythm we will get back on top.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Thinkpad » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:50 pm

After so many season with Liverpool and spending huge amount of money in each season we still find ourself lacking in depth and lacking in balance. Rafa is blameless as usual.
The usual brigade will surely think it is still too early to judge cause these first few games are not rewarded with 3 points only those games later in the season. It's too early as usual.

You know what... not many premier league managers have as much as what Rafa's have to spent on players. Some with shoe strings budget but yet still manage to have a team of talents.
Funny enough that team was dismissed as weakened, full of youngsters (can't win anything with them) and not good enough.
But we all know now how stupid these comments really are.

Money money money... Why is it that every time Liverpool fails to win games it is because we lack funds to be a galaticos?
How much is enough? Do you seriously think that by giving money to Rafa he will spend it well?
How many "Lucas" & "Babel" like players will he be buying? How many strikers will he be buying to make them into midfilder or winger?
After so many years, we are still constantly rebuilding with dubious players with dubious talent (okay.. some not so dubious but he should realised such players are ill fitted to this league).
After so many years we still don't have someone to step up when one senior player leaves.
My decision is clear, if we failed to even stay up in top four by end of this season then Rafa must surely go. I am not asking for his head now but making a statement for the end of the season.
Why continue the sufferings? As the Chinese says.. short pain is better than long sufferings. After so many season I guess I had enough.

Now let's check out Arsene Wenger's contract. I think it is up very soon. Hope he doesn't renew it.
Thinkpad

Postby Dazzer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:52 pm

bavlondon wrote:I can't see Rafa selling him. He just said the other day we cant lose any more players. And assuming if he did, if we didn't bring in a suitable replacement (and by that I mean someone with quality, not bargain basement) we would be in a lot of trouble.

Can you tell me how or why he hasn't played yet since I haven't seen any reports of him having an injury or a knock ?
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:53 pm

I thought we were unlucky to deliver the first blow to a very shaken villa team ,going behind was a big blow to overcome considering we are playing with a limited attacking force at this stage.

I think Rafa needs to do something with Kuyt location on the field ,the boy is killing himself on the pitch he is our hardest worker but he has nothing to show for it - he is and was a brilliant scorer in Holand and seems he can't bring it be with his current position.

I thought we should have used Johnson many more times and not concentrate only on the our left wing...

Lucas scoring the own goal - only symbolic...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:55 pm

Thinkpad wrote:After so many season with Liverpool and spending huge amount of money in each season we still find ourself lacking in depth and lacking in balance. Rafa is blameless as usual.
The usual brigade will surely think it is still too early to judge cause these first few games are not rewarded with 3 points only those games later in the season. It's too early as usual.

You know what... not many premier league managers have as much as what Rafa's have to spent on players. Some with shoe strings budget but yet still manage to have a team of talents.
Funny enough that team was dismissed as weakened, full of youngsters (can't win anything with them) and not good enough.
But we all know now how stupid these comments really are.

Money money money... Why is it that every time Liverpool fails to win games it is because we lack funds to be a galaticos?
How much is enough? Do you seriously think that by giving money to Rafa he will spend it well?
How many "Lucas" & "Babel" like players will he be buying? How many strikers will he be buying to make them into midfilder or winger?
After so many years, we are still constantly rebuilding with dubious players with dubious talent (okay.. some not so dubious but he should realised such players are ill fitted to this league).
After so many years we still don't have someone to step up when one senior player leaves.
My decision is clear, if we failed to even stay up in top four by end of this season then Rafa must surely go. I am not asking for his head now but making a statement for the end of the season.
Why continue the sufferings? As the Chinese says.. short pain is better than long sufferings. After so many season I guess I had enough.

Now let's check out Arsene Wenger's contract. I think it is up very soon. Hope he doesn't renew it.

I don't think we need to be spending on the levels as to bring in 'galacticos' but to at least be denied the usual annual budget of £20 - 25mil (which is to be honest modest by todays standards for a top 4 side that almost won the league last year and has been a top team in Europe for the last 5 years) and then to not be given all of what he raked in from sales is stupid.

By denying him that they are only asking for trouble. It may end up with Rafas job but ultimatley it will hurt Liverpool Football Club too.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:55 pm

I thought we were unlucky to deliver the first blow to a very shaken villa team ,going behind was a big blow to overcome considering we are playing with a limited attacking force at this stage.

I think Rafa needs to do something with Kuyt location on the field ,the boy is killing himself on the pitch he is our hardest worker but he has nothing to show for it - he is and was a brilliant scorer in Holand and seems he can't bring it be with his current position.

I thought we should have used Johnson many more times and not concentrate only on the our left wing...

Lucas scoring the own goal - only symbolic...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby sixbuster » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:57 pm

sixbuster wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Ok I would take of Lucas, slot in Gerrard in place of him. Let Yossi play in the hole up front with Torres and bring on Riera on the left.

I agree totally. Lucas has plummeted to depths I never even thought he could go. Wait and see Rafa will make no changes till the 65th minute. :help

See i was 1 minute out, rafa needs to be more dynamic. may I ask what was the point in bringing Voronin on and play him so deep???
Forever a red
sixbuster

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:58 pm

sgs wrote:Perhaps this will be a reminder to folks just why Gerrard has not being played in central MF for a long while...

:laugh:  :D Fecking hell  :laugh:.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games