LIVERPOOL vs ASTON VILLA - 24/08/09 - 8PM K.O

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby devaney » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:16 pm

algymoon wrote:
Thinkpad wrote:After so many season with L

Liverpool FC main two major problems are the two profiteering owners, and an arrogant, and unaccomplished manager, it is a lethal combination for failure.

Ok lets blame G & H for fkg everything including the fact that Villa defended very well and certainly contributed towards Liverpool looking pitiful.

Rafa is a lot of things: STUBBORN, FKG STUBBORN, VERY FKG STUBBORN, ARROGANT, CLUELESS MAN MANAGER, TACTICALLY ERRATIC AND VERY VERY VERY FKG STUBBORN - BUT NEVER UNACCOMPLISHED!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Fauxy wrote:
puroresu wrote:
Fauxy wrote:What annoys me is how Marin O'neill and the villa fans are saying how good they were and how it was an excellent performance  :O

I mean Villa didnt play badly, but they were far from anything great.. we were just awful and even still playing awful we had them on the backfoot for most of the game and they were lucky to take the lead in the first place with a flukey own goal.

Annnnnd we should have had a penalty and Friedel made some class saves, god i feel like Arsene Wenger  :laugh:

Anyone who wins 3-1 at Anfield is probably allowed to say how good they were.

Cmon they wernt that good we were just terrible

Credit where credit's due. From their perspective, they couldn't have done a much better job. They defended very solidly - Davies especially was excellent I thought, lots of blocks, headers, interceptions etc. The midfield worked hard and successfully blocked off the hole - the area Gerrard was looking to operate in - and this had the effect of limiting his and Torres' contributions, throughout. On the counter they might have done better at times in holding the ball up and bringing others into play, but overall they did a very good job I thought.

For a club of their level, that's just what you want.
LFC2007

Postby beng » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Grade the players in game against ASTON VILLA
http://www.voteplayers.com/Matches....39.aspx
beng

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:06 pm

I think its a common misconception that if Liverpool have been beaten by a side ,then it is solely down to the astute tactics of the opposing manager and his clever game plan ,not the simple premise Liverpool played without any real direction or invention

I still cant believe Villa won that game ,because quite frankly they seemed a team equally devoid of any attacking prowess ,in fact albeit from the set pieces ,I would say LUCK played a large role, rather than  ingenuity ,ok I accept Villa defended well enough, but this was mainly down to the Reds ineptitude in front of goal...

I apologise, if I may seem slightly bias ,but I am loathe to give credit to a manager and team who happened to play Liverpool at an opportune time, when the team is quite obviously a pale shadow of the one we witnessed start last season,Liverpool handed Villa that game on a plate ,such was their naivety in defending set pieces.
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:47 pm

what does it accomplish to say that Lucas isn't as good as Alonso? Surely this kind of mentality throughout the camp isn't going to help Lucas any. FUrther its not like we had much choice in the matter of selling him, so if anyone tries and claims "well we should ahve sold em" I wont take them seriously.  Then there is the argument of we should ahve signed a fit player instead of Aquilani (saying it in the sense that they required the replacement to be fit NOW, which leaves his injury history as a sign of caution to be part of another debate)  Clearly, (after Barry) Aquilani was Rafa's top choice and it wouldn't have made much sense to go for a choice further down the list and sacrifice our teams quality for the next 5 years for a matter of a 6 weeks.  Now if you want to argue that someone like Sneijder should have been his first choice anyway, well again I say that is for another debate and one that we can't even have for another 6-12 months, and even then it will be a hypothetical one

Lucas has not been our worst player, there is plenty of blame to go around for the cause of our first two defeats, and we have played well with him and Mascherano before, and like has been said Alonso could have just as easily gotten hurt in pre-season or dipped in form again, we should have been able to cope for a few games without him anyway, because we have done so before
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:51 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:I think its a common misconception that if Liverpool have been beaten by a side ,then it is solely down to the astute tactics of the opposing manager and his clever game plan ,not the simple premise Liverpool played without any real direction or invention

I still cant believe Villa won that game ,because quite frankly they seemed a team equally devoid of any attacking prowess ,in fact albeit from the set pieces ,I would say LUCK played a large role, rather than  ingenuity ,ok I accept Villa defended well enough, but this was mainly down to the Reds ineptitude in front of goal...

I apologise, if I may seem slightly bias ,but I am loathe to give credit to a manager and team who happened to play Liverpool at an opportune time, when the team is quite obviously a pale shadow of the one we witnessed start last season,Liverpool handed Villa that game on a plate ,such was their naivety in defending set pieces.

I would agree that it seemed all the luck was going against us, but we should still be good enough to overcome it at home against Villa.
JoeTerp

Postby SupitsJonF » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 pm

We need Alonso, how the hell are we supposed to play against 10 men without him? :D

:censored:, just read laza used the same joke in the Alonso thread, swear i didn't know he did!  Great minds think alike  :p
SupitsJonF

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:05 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:I think its a common misconception that if Liverpool have been beaten by a side ,then it is solely down to the astute tactics of the opposing manager and his clever game plan ,not the simple premise Liverpool played without any real direction or invention

I would agree that it seemed all the luck was going against us, but we should still be good enough to overcome it at home against Villa.

I know Joe ,but the point of my post was Villa were hardly impressive in point of fact it was more a case of us being dire ,luck was simply  just another string to Villas bow .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 pm

Wrong thread!
Last edited by Cool Hand Luke on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:50 am

From The Times August 25, 2009

Angry Rafael Benítez points finger at Steven Gerrard for defeat

Rafael Benítez blamed his senior players — including Steven Gerrard — after watching Liverpool lose 3-1 to Aston Villa at Anfield last night.

The Liverpool manager did not pull any punches after the surprise setback, Liverpool’s second defeat of the season. It brought to an end an unbeaten home run in the Barclays Premier League that had stretched back to December 2007.

Lucas Leiva, the Brazil midfield player, will be the obvious target for fans’ frustration after his first-half own goal put Villa on the road to victory, but Benítez was quick to spread the blame throughout his ranks, putting particular emphasis on his belief that Liverpool were let down by some of their biggest names, including Gerrard, the captain, who gave away the penalty that sealed their fate.

“If you look at the goals we conceded, the first [the Lucas own goal] was a mistake and the second was in [first-half] injury time,” said Benítez. “Then we scored and, at a crucial moment, we gave away a penalty. We made too many mistakes at crucial times. It was a clear penalty.

“It was not only Lucas. We have to be fair. Gerrard gave away the penalty. There were too many people involved. If you want to analyse the mistakes of each player, you would have to analyse a lot of things in the game. We are talking about some names, but clearly the team has to improve and it depends on the experienced players to take more responsibility.

“If you are losing, the only way to change things is to win. After we lost the first game, we managed to beat Stoke 4-0. Now we have to try to respond in the same way and win against Bolton at the weekend.”

Having been beaten by Tottenham Hotspur on the opening weekend of the season, Liverpool have already lost as many games as they did in the whole of the last campaign and lie six points behind the North London club and Chelsea at the top of the Premier League.

Benítez’s concern will be heightened by two of Villa’s three goals arriving from set-pieces, with Lucas diverting an Ashley Young free kick past a startled Pepe Reina before Curtis Davies scored a near-post header from a Nicky Shorey corner in first-half stoppage time.

Fernando Torres pulled a goal back after 73 minutes as Liverpool piled on the pressure, but, with Brad Friedel in outstanding form, that was to be the only impression they were to make on the scoreline.

Any chances of Liverpool getting back into the game were ended just two minutes after Torres’s strike when Young scored a well-taken penalty after Gerrard had brought down Nigel Reo-Coker. In contrast to his opposite number, Martin O’Neill, the Villa manager, was delighted with his players, although he was quick to admonish fans for booing the team at half-time during their home defeat at the hands of Wigan Athletic last weekend.

“We were booed off 45 minutes after finishing sixth in the league,” O’Neill said. “We have won at Anfield and the team was simply brilliant. If you are booed off at home at full time, I can understand it if you’ve not played well but it’s different at half-time. I didn’t see Liverpool booed off here.

“It’s staggering the number of prophecies that are made after two, three or four games of the season. It’s truly staggering, but nothing surprises me.”

For Friedel, the Villa goalkeeper, the result helped to make up for the 5-0 thrashing at the hands of Liverpool in March.

“To win at Anfield is fantastic. With the result last year, it does leave a bad taste in the mouth,” Friedel said. “It’s not revenge, but it’s pleasing to put in a performance because last year we just didn’t turn up.”
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:07 am

Benitez blaming the players ?
sure.. cause he obviously got it spot on but the players fcked it up ???
naaa.. the problem is with 'the system' benitez... sure the players could have done better and some of the mistakes (playing Lucas, zonal marking) could have been avoided, but we never really looked like a hone said going for the title this year... the initial setup was wrong and our attempts at rescuing the points were at best pathetic...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:52 am

Thing is though aCe - the players should know the drill; apart from Johnson those 10 others
know what is required and how they are expected to go about things. ***

It's not like your boss at work has to re-train you every week.

Most of the players weren't at the races.

For me, (and Im not just saying this because of Monday's game as Ive seen it a few
times lasdt season too) the so-called "senior" players (Carra, MAsch, Gerrard, Torres) seem
to think they are THE players who matter.

I think we have a two-tier team - the "senior" players and the rest.

I think Gerrard and Torres play far too many passes to each other and tend
to ignore other players who might be in better positions or making decent runs.

It's pitiful really - it's like when you played 5 against 5 when you were a kid but you didnt bother
passing to the 2 speccy eyed kids who were put on your team.

You can see it when they're moaning at each other as well - often Gerrard and Carra will lay into someone
who makes a mistake, or they'll wave their hand up in disgust at a bad pass. You just know they think
some of the other players are not up to scratch.

But it's no way for a TEAM to be - they need to be in it together.

I got the feeling on Monday that Gerrard was throwing a hissy fit because Xabi was not there anymore.

*** - I will admit that maybe Rafa should have tried something to compensate for the loss of Xabi.
Last edited by Effes on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 am

aCe' wrote:Benitez blaming the players ?
sure.. cause he obviously got it spot on but the players fcked it up ???
naaa.. the problem is with 'the system' benitez... sure the players could have done better and some of the mistakes (playing Lucas, zonal marking) could have been avoided, but we never really looked like a hone said going for the title this year... the initial setup was wrong and our attempts at rescuing the points were at best pathetic...

Glad to see normal service has been resumed.

As you were, gentlemen of newkit... :no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 am

LANDO...you are freaking me out lad!
You just dont look right with no cards beside you..all bald and stuff! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Well benitez is write it is the players fault but its also his own fault aswel. Playing lucas with macha is a no no..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games