LIVERPOOL v leicester Thur 10th Feb 7.45pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:40 pm

With pretty much a full squad to pick from (bar AOC and Joe G) it will be interesting to see what team Jurgen puts out. Its a must win job with the title on the line so we are under severe pressure to get a result.
Here’s the team I’d go with -

ALISSON

TRENT.      VVD.     KONATE.    ROBBO.

FAB

ELLIOTT.    THIAGO.

SALAH.          JOTA.          DIAZ.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:25 pm

I'd hope he gave Mo a few days off as well. He took some amount of tackles in that tournament and played every minute of it.

I'd like to see Diaz start anyway. I'd have jones in as well for Elliot as I think he needs another few games from the bench to fully recover. Jones needs the matches to build consistency imo.

Leicester aren't the same side this season and just got dumped out of the Cup by Forest. If we get at them early we could get a handful I reckon.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:43 pm

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fitness-latest-gomez-oxlade-chamberlain-and-pre-leicester-squad-update

Joe Gomez and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are back in training, with Jürgen Klopp also reporting no fresh injury concerns ahead of Thursday’s meeting with Leicester City.

Gomez and Oxlade-Chamberlain missed the Emirates FA Cup win over Cardiff City having not been able to adequately prepare for the match following the end of their COVID-19 isolation periods.

However, the duo have now returned to team training.

When asked if there are any new fitness worries in his squad, Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com on Tuesday: “Not that I know of in the moment, but we are not too far away from training at this moment so I should know [soon]. But, no.

“Oxlade and Joe are back in training, which is good – they had COVID last week.

“In the next few days and weeks, we here at Liverpool will have probably all had it and that’s then at least something good in that. But no, no new injuries or anything like that.”

Thiago Alcantara and Harvey Elliott made their comebacks from injury with substitute appearances against Cardiff and Divock Origi is back in training, too.

And Klopp is delighted to have a deep squad to choose from for another hectic spell of fixtures.

“It’s exactly what you build a squad for, it’s a long season, it’s an intense period between now and the next international break,” the boss said.

“Until the [Manchester] United game, we play 12 games, so with the last game included that’s 13 games in a short period, so that’s massive.

“It is always the same, but we didn’t speak about these kind of things very often because we didn’t have it very often, but now it looks like in the moment we have it for once, so now let’s just use it.

“That’s the plan and let’s use it as smartly as possible, so that we can really bring all the energy and all the quality we have in each of these 12 games on the pitch and be good enough to win them.

“They are incredibly difficult games, they are difficult, all competitions involved. Yes, it’s tough but that’s why we built the squad and hopefully we can use it.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/jurgen-klopp-whether-salah-could-face-leicester-and-manes-return

Mohamed Salah could come into contention for Liverpool’s clash with Leicester City on Thursday night, Jürgen Klopp has confirmed.

The forward returned to the AXA Training Centre to re-join the Reds on Tuesday after Africa Cup of Nations duty with Egypt and was set to train with his teammates.

Salah will be assessed by the club’s medical staff, but he could feature in the Premier League encounter with the Foxes if all is well.

Sadio Mane, however, will not be considered for action against Leicester after returning to Senegal to celebrate their triumph in Sunday’s AFCON final.

Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com: “Mo is now back, I spoke already to him. He is very disappointed of course, but looking forward to all the things coming up here now.

“I spoke to him and pretty much the first thing Mo told me was: ‘I’m ready.’ Haha!

“He is an experienced player, he is a physical monster, to be honest, so we have to see. He will obviously have a little recovery session today and we will see how he feels tomorrow and from there we go.

“The proper plan we don’t have, play him as often and as long as possible is probably the plan, but we will not rush it. But if he is fine we will not leave him out for the wrong reasons as well, so let’s see.”

Asked specifically if Salah could be involved against Leicester, Klopp replied: “Yes, yes. Sadio no chance as he’s not even here, but Mo yes.”

The boss continued: “Sadio flies out if it’s possible on Wednesday night, so will arrive here on Thursday but he is, of course, then not involved in the Leicester game.

“It means the world to him, it means the world to his people, it means the world to Senegal and we respect that a lot and we would never consider to have called back him from there or whatever – let them do what they do in the moment because they deserve it.

“They’ve had an incredibly intense time, so when he is back we will talk to him and we will see how we can use him.”

Salah and Mane went head-to-head for their respective nations in Sunday’s AFCON final, with Senegal prevailing on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes.

“It was a strange game to watch, to be honest, from an emotional point of view,” Klopp reflected. “I obviously wish them the best, the very best, in absolutely everything [but] it was not possible in this game.

“I think both played a great tournament. The responsibility on their shoulders is absolutely [huge] and the pressure on their shoulders is absolutely insane, I don’t even have an idea how it must feel in these moments, they carry pretty much a whole country.

“So, Mo couldn’t make it but played a really good tournament and Sadio made it and yes, now I have to say really congratulations, outstanding. I saw some pictures from Senegal, what it meant to them directly after the game. Obviously it’s the first time in their proud history they could win the AFCON and [an] absolutely outstanding achievement.

“The pressure on Sadio with missing the penalty in the game and then the last one… wow! I cannot imagine how he would have felt. But you could see the joy and relief after that so he was obviously in the best possible shape.

“We have texted a little bit here and there but he is still in Africa, still in Senegal, celebrating and we will see – Wednesday night or something like that we will send him out. But yes, it was obviously a big tournament and meant the world to him.”
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:02 pm

Salah played 120 minutes four times in the space of 12 days. Might make sense to use him off the bench for this one. Hopefully Thiago can give us an hour ahead of the Champions League game next week. With a fully fit squad it will be interesting to see over the next couple of games who is left out of the squad completely. No space for Gomez, Minamino, and Origi, in the below. And with Mane coming back in for the weekend another one will get bumped.

Alisson

Trent          Matip          van Dijk          Robertson

Keita          Fabinho          Thiago

Ox          Firmino          Jota

Subs: Salah, Diaz, Elliott, Henderson, Jones, Milner, Konate, Tsimikas, Kelleher
Eagle

Postby damjan193 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:47 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:25 pm wrote:Leicester aren't the same side this season and just got dumped out of the Cup by Forest. If we get at them early we could get a handful I reckon.

We got beat by them just a few weeks ago and they had a lot of injuries then as well so I don't think we should underestimate them. We're playing at home now which is a huge advantage obviously but I think we'll go with our strongest 11 available. I expect something like this:

Allison

Trent  Matip  Virgil  Robbo

Fab
        Hendo  Thiago

Salah   Bobby   Jota

We might see Jones or Keita starting instead of Thiago if Klopp feels he's not ready to start yet, and maybe Konate instead of Matip, but I don't expect to see Elliot or Diaz in the starting 11 just yet, since there's no reason to rush them.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:12 am

It certainly shouldn’t be ignored that Leicester managed to beat us one 1-0 at their place back in December. However it should also be remembered that they had six shots only one on goal whilst LIVERPOOL had the vast majority of the play. Not our greatest performance but we were very unlucky to walk away with nothing.We have a full squad which includes the exciting inclusion of Luiz Diaz and well done to our owners for that. Spending a decent amount of money after two years of poor financial results due to the pandemic, assuming that the 20/21 will be modest in terms of profit has to be admired.

We basically have no choice other than to treat every single match from now until the end of the season like a cup final and hope that City drop points. In simple terms we will need to win every match and that includes beating City away from home which will be no easy task. It’s about time City had a serious wobble so here’s to hoping! They have certainly got a deeper squad but have they got a better best starting 11 ?? Personally I don’t think they have  and the simple reason they won the league last season was due to our never ending injury list.

Whilst losing three key players to the AFCON was going to present its own set of challenges we certainly came through what everybody was expecting to be a difficult period very impressively. It’s got to be said that we were quite fortunate with the fixtures and avoiding any of the top teams. Sorry Arsenal  !!

COYR

YNWA
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:37 pm

Yup all we can do is keep on wining and hope City drop points, I'd love it if Brentford get something off City this evening. We've got a solid squad to see us in all competitions for the rest of the season. Inclusion of Diaz and bolstered out attack immensely.  Salah wants to start this one so I wonder if Klopp will play him.

I would love the see the following line up

Alisson
Trent - Matip - VVD - Rob
Thiago - Fabinho - Keita
    Salah - Jota - Diaz
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:53 pm

redshade » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:37 pm wrote:Yup all we can do is keep on wining and hope City drop points, I'd love it if Brentford get something off City this evening. We've got a solid squad to see us in all competitions for the rest of the season. Inclusion of Diaz and bolstered out attack immensely.  Salah wants to start this one so I wonder if Klopp will play him.

I would love the see the following line up

Alisson
Trent - Matip - VVD - Rob
Thiago - Fabinho - Keita
    Salah - Jota - Diaz

Unfortunately Brentford didn’t get anything mate so the gaps back up to 12 (though we’ve got 2 games in hand). As we all know when you’re playing catch up pretty much every game is a must win and tonight’s match is certainly one of those. If we don’t win it the title is gone imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby electrum » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Liverpool team news
Team to play Leicester: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones, Diaz, Firmino, Jota.

Subs: Kelleher, Konate, Milner, Keita, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Minamino, Tsimikas, Elliott.
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:05 pm

Decent side, personally speaking I probably would have went with Konate over Joel and I’m not sure Bobby and Curtis are in the best of form atm but maybe tonight’s their night.
COYR.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby crazyhorse » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:32 pm

Any good streams?
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:56 pm

Yep, stream needed please lads!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:57 pm

What happened to Hendo?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:05 pm

Dunno, haven't got a stream!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:13 pm

Looked it up, injured vs Cardiff - back, not serious.

Reg, you haven't missed much, Liverpool dominating possession and trying to break Leicester down but they are quite well setup so far. Nice to see Diaz starting in Mane's position. Mo is on the bench.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games