Liverpool v Everton 5th May 2013 1.30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 pm

we were very sloppy in possession and gave the ball away far too easily, enrique in particular must have found more blue shirts than red ones over the course of the 90 minutes and lucas couldnt have been far behind him.
we played a hell of a lot of longs balls as well which is a bit baffling considering everton definately have an advantage in the air. i always thought the general idea is to play to our strengths not the oppositions.
gerrard played really well but once hendo went off we lost our legs, lucas and gerrard havent got the athleticism to cope once a game becomes stretched.
borini lacks the raw pace to be a genuine threat on the break so i was a bit perplexed by rodgers bringing him on.
at the other end our inability to defend set pieces nearly cost us again and not only with the disallowed goal but that chance where fellaini outmuscled carragher and missed the post by a whisker.
rodgers has got to bring an arielly dominant CB in during the summer.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedHands » Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Pretty boring game I have to say. I think we were the better team, but that a 0-0 result was a fair one. We just weren't clever enough to break down Everton. Couthinho again showed his incredible passing and Gerrard had a great game. Lucas did a great job defensively, but was awful going forward. Baffled as to why BR subbed Hendo for Borini , but I thought the Skrtl sub was a good one (someone to help on set pieces. Glen had a pretty bad game and Borini was awful again. I thought Enrique actually had a pretty reasonable game.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 05, 2013 6:54 pm

RedHands » Sun May 05, 2013 5:45 pm wrote:Pretty boring game I have to say. I think we were the better team, but that a 0-0 result was a fair one. We just weren't clever enough to break down Everton. Couthinho again showed his incredible passing and Gerrard had a great game. Lucas did a great job defensively, but was awful going forward. Baffled as to why BR subbed Hendo for Borini , but I thought the Skrtl sub was a good one (someone to help on set pieces. Glen had a pretty bad game and Borini was awful again. I thought Enrique actually had a pretty reasonable game.

enrique`s pace and strength makes him a very good out and out defender but in possession he is very wasteful, he always seems to take one touch too many or run down blind alleys.
if he just played it simple he`d be an excellent fullback.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Sun May 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Ironically Enrique won most possession than any other player , and lost the most possession than any other player lol!

a draw was a fair result, I thought Lucas, Johnson and Sturridge were poor, Gerrard and Coutinho were class.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun May 05, 2013 10:20 pm

it was a poor game for a derby  :nod  especially a merseyside derby  :down:
overall though i thought we were the better side but just lacked that final pass to score. big diasapointment from last week but in these type of games form goes out the window.
rodgers should have straight swapped sturridge for borini and left it as it was with henderson still on the park.
gerrard was brilliant and so was coutinho for the most. i know downing has been one of our better players this season but the lad is still sh!te. he isnt even at the level he was before we signed him and that just isnt good enough.

thank fook we have only 2 games left and can start preparing for next season :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Awful match, the quality and possession play was shocking from both teams. For some reason we allowed Everton to drag us to there level, we were playing hoof ball for large portions of the match which made absolutely no sense to me considering we have barely anyone who can head the ball in the team. Sturridge, Downing  and Enrique were poor but we still had the chances to win the game and failed to do so. What was up with subs?! Borini on for Henderson made no sense what so ever, I cant see what he was supposed to bring to the game, i thought Downing should of come off for Assaidi and we could have had some one with some skill and penetration to actually make Baines work.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun May 05, 2013 11:54 pm

we played a hell of a lot of longs balls as well which is a bit baffling considering everton definately have an advantage in the air. i always thought the general idea is to play to our strengths not the oppositions. 

That's because Everton did to us what this Rodgers team is supposed to do to the opposition. They pressed us high and cut off our angles, leaving us with little option than to go more direct. Moyes had the number on Rodgers at Swansea, re the stiffling of his tic tac football.

What Henderson did to deserve going off is beyond me, I thought he was having a very good game and some of his first time touches/passes were excellent, Rodgers should have dragged the hapless Downing off.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Green Environment » Mon May 06, 2013 6:40 am

Reinforcements upfront, midfield and defence departments must be brought in the summer. If Rodgers and FSG are still only interested in signings kids or back to Swansea to buy their whole squad over, then be prepared for 7th or 8th finish next season and we are going to be a forever work in progress team.
Green Environment
LFC Basic Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 06, 2013 8:31 am

RedHands » Sun May 05, 2013 5:45 pm wrote:Pretty boring game I have to say. I think we were the better team, but that a 0-0 result was a fair one. We just weren't clever enough to break down Everton. Couthinho again showed his incredible passing and Gerrard had a great game. Lucas did a great job defensively, but was awful going forward. Baffled as to why BR subbed Hendo for Borini , but I thought the Skrtl sub was a good one (someone to help on set pieces. Glen had a pretty bad game and Borini was awful again. I thought Enrique actually had a pretty reasonable game.

I disagree that we werent clever enough to break them down. It was woeful finishing that cost us.
Saying that, Johnson continued his poor run and Downing should never wear a red shirt again
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 am

Yet the previous game Downing was at the heart of half the goals and this season is only behind Gerrard in assists despite being on the bench for half the season.

Downing has earned himself another season.
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 am

Benny The Noon » Mon May 06, 2013 7:34 am wrote:Yet the previous game Downing was at the heart of half the goals and this season is only behind Gerrard in assists despite being on the bench for half the season.

He will always let you down and very rarely puts in a good shift. Heartless, passionless, gutless, spineless and bollockless, he needs Fu*king off if we are seriously contesting for CL spot.
It really is that simple
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 am

Downing has earned himself another season 

That is debatable.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 am

Thommo's perm » Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon May 06, 2013 7:34 am wrote:Yet the previous game Downing was at the heart of half the goals and this season is only behind Gerrard in assists despite being on the bench for half the season.

He will always let you down and very rarely puts in a good shift. Heartless, passionless, gutless, spineless and bollockless, he needs Fu*king off if we are seriously contesting for CL spot.
It really is that simple
:nod

Yet you weren't saying that after the previous game.

Us not getting a CL spot isn't down to Downing - if we started the season better ( when Downing wasnt playing ) and if we could defend better and stop conceding stupid goals ( again not down to Downing ) then we would be in the race for a CL spot.

Downing has been part of the set up that has outscored 90% of the league and every team since Jan ( ironically when Downing regained his place in the team ) .

He may not be World Class etc blah but he has shown he can produce for us and he isn't one of our problem at the moment.
Last edited by Benny The Noon on Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 am

Kenny Kan » Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 am wrote:
Downing has earned himself another season 

That is debatable.

Going by rumours around the ground that's exactly what he has done

The focus in the summer will be on the defence and a defensive mid to shore up the back.
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 am

rumours...meh...

And so that should be the focus.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games