Arsenal vs LIVERPOOL 16th March 8.15pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby kazza » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:13 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:07 pm wrote:The manager deserve's a hell of a lot of credit for instilling such a great mentality in them, even when things aren't going our way the lads know how to stay in games.
First half yesterday was heavy going but they didn't panic, they stuck in there.
We've had some great players and good teams over the last 30 years but I think the never-say-die attitude this current squad have inherited from the manager was that elusive "missing factor X" that those other teams lacked.

I agree Yakka, I honestly believe that this is the best team we have ever had. We would have at least two more titles if it wasn’t for a City team that have spent three times what we have on their squad.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:33 pm

kazza » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:13 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:07 pm wrote:The manager deserve's a hell of a lot of credit for instilling such a great mentality in them, even when things aren't going our way the lads know how to stay in games.
First half yesterday was heavy going but they didn't panic, they stuck in there.
We've had some great players and good teams over the last 30 years but I think the never-say-die attitude this current squad have inherited from the manager was that elusive "missing factor X" that those other teams lacked.

I agree Yakka, I honestly believe that this is the best team we have ever had. We would have at least two more titles if it wasn’t for a City team that have spent three times what we have on their squad.

Best ever maybe a bit of a stretch mate, from 1975/76 to 1985/86 we won 8 League titles, appeared in
5 European Cup Finals (winning 4 of them, the other one was Heysel), won the UEFA Cup beating a Barcelona team with world record signing Johann Cruyff in their ranks along the way, won 4 League Cups on the bounce and appeared in 2 FA Cup finals winning one of them.
We dominated that decade with a capital D. This team is up amongst our best ever though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:39 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:33 pm wrote:
kazza » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:13 pm wrote:

Best ever maybe a bit of a stretch mate, from 1975/76 to 1985/86 we won 8 League titles, appeared in
5 European Cup Finals (winning 4 of them, the other one was Heysel), won the UEFA Cup beating a Barcelona team with world record signing Johann Cruyff in their ranks along the way, won 4 League Cups on the bounce and appeared in 2 FA Cup finals winning one of them.
We dominated that decade with a capital D. This team is up amongst our best ever though.

I would agree as we did dominate and were the best team in the world but it is just the fact that the league (and Europe) is far stronger or at least spending a lot more money compared to us. Sure Barcelona had Cruyff but this team beat a team with Messi, arguably the best player in this generation…..4-0 no less! There was no Abramovich, City or even ManUre spending billions as there is now. Actually it it is an ageless argument but what really proves it to me are all the broken records; Most points, most goals scored, most games unbeaten etc. I just think we would have dominated with a capital D if it was not for the strength of our rivals, including other European teams. I think this era will be remembered as a golden era of sorts with all the money flying around, the premier league, the CL and even Europa league are far more invested in than they were back then.  I guess the only true test would be could this era team have beaten that era teams and I think yes but obviously it’s just one man’s opinion.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1863917-picking-a-best-xi-for-every-liverpool-decade-since-the-1960s
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:09 pm

I'd argue that the prem as a whole is weaker than the old first division because the influx of money has in essence created leagues within a league.
Yes we dominated years ago but if you look at the points totals most of the time we'd only win the title by 1 or 2 points, things were a lot tighter then, the gap between the top clubs and the rest of the division wasn't as pronounced as it is now, in fact the gap between all 4 leagues wasn't as big as it is now. All the creation of the premier League did in the early 90's was create a small group of super wealthy and super powerful clubs.
Whilst it is tough to pip those other super wealthy and powerful clubs to the title that's not the same as dominating in an era when the game was much more of a level playing field. What we did in the 70's and 80's had never been done before, before us domination meant 2 or 3 titles in a decade and a couple of FA Cup wins like Wolves and United in the 50's.
The prem is the most competitive of the top European leagues but that's because the other leagues really are uncompetitive jokes. How many titles have Real Madrid won? 60, something like that? Compared to the old first division the prem is basically a closed shop rigged in favour of the rich which is what you get when you introduce Thatcherite principles into sport which is what the creation of the premier League did,
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:01 pm

Agree with everything said above :buttrock
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:06 pm

I’m not so sure Yakka, I think man for man football has come along way. Players are far more technical and able to play with both feet, they eat better,  don’t  smoke, are able to run more and faster. There is a fitness coach, a team of nutritionists, a set piece coach, a throwing coach. They get a briefing after and before each match so they know their opponent in detail. Professionalism is football is far greater now due to all the money in the game.

In that  era that we dominated there were plenty of part time players we played against, plenty of players with beer bellies that smoked like chimneys . No part timers in this era. I would argue that we dominated an easier time.

Not to take anything away from that era as we were the best of that era, I just think that this team would have bean those teams. I just believe this is our best ever assembled team.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:14 pm

kazza » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:06 pm wrote:I’m not so sure Yakka, I think man for man football has come along way. Players are far more technical and able to play with both feet, they eat better,  don’t  smoke, are able to run more and faster. There is a fitness coach, a team of nutritionists, a set piece coach, a throwing coach. They get a briefing after and before each match so they know their opponent in detail. Professionalism is football is far greater now due to all the money in the game.

In that  era that we dominated there were plenty of part time players we played against, plenty of players with beer bellies that smoked like chimneys . No part timers in this era. I would argue that we dominated an easier time.

Not to take anything away from that era as we were the best of that era, I just think that this team would have bean those teams. I just believe this is our best ever assembled team.

I don't think the players are more technical mate, if they have to play on a pitch that is even slightly bumpy half of them look like they've never kicked a ball before,
Some of those England games when they've had to play on a dodgy pitch in Eastern Europe somewhere are like 90 minute long football funnies compilations with air shots galore and all sorts, proper Keystone cops stuff and I'm talking Gerrard, Scholes, Beckham, Lampard etc.
I wouldn't even mind but the pitches aren't even that bad, they just aren't the bowling greens that they are used to, I shudder to think what they would be like on some of the pitches of the 60's and 70's.
As for fitness yes this generation of players look after themselves better but that doesn't necessarily equate into them being better athletes.
On YouTube there's a clip from the TV program Superstars of Malcolm McDonald running the 100m in 10.9 seconds, this was from 1976. Now Theo Walcott s best ever time when he was at his fleet footed best was 10.7 and he was about half the size of McDonald.
The thing is McDonald never stood out as being a flyer in the 70's, don't get me wrong he wasn't slow, but he wasn't seen as being particularly quick either.
He wasn't the only one, Ian Callaghan set a 100m time in pre season training in the early 60's that wasn't beaten at Melwood for decades, Djibril Cisse eventually beat it but the likes of Michael Owen and Steve McManaman etc couldn't get near Cally's time.
Bobby Robson said in his autobiography that the most athletic player he ever coached was Kevin Beattie, a player who very nearly signed for us in the early 70's, Robson said Beattie was so gifted physically he could have been an Olympic decathlete.
Don't forget Robson coached some great players at PSV and Barca including a prime Ronaldo9.
This image that players from yesteryear were all like dart players is a myth, yes a lot of them liked a bevvy but they were still gifted athletes who trained every single day.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:19 am

I’m sure there were certain individuals who would excel in this era and could have put current players to shame with their stats and skill, those in my opinion are exceptions. I think on the whole the standard now is higher and if you took all player’s stats and made an average then this era ranks higher, I would be disappointed with anything less as after all it is about evolution and I can’t believe with the increase in professionalism across the board doesn’t equate to better performance on the whole.

More than happy to agree to disagree on this subject but still more than happy to learn about the stats you posted.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games