LIVERPOOL VS ARSENAL - Saturday 3rd march 12:45 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby devaney » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:14 pm

tubby wrote:I don't know why everyone is getting on Adam's back. We paid what 6-8Mil for him? People are going of on one like he cost 20Mil.

I think the point is that we were the only club prepared to pay £7m for him. He is just an average player. Nothing against the lad but he never going to win us a Premiership title. Pound for pound he is no worse than Henderson,Downing or Carroll but that really isn't saying a lot.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:57 pm

tubby wrote:I don't know why everyone is getting on Adam's back. We paid what 6-8Mil for him? People are going of on one like he cost 20Mil.

If a player is poor it's doesn't make the mistake in buying and playing him ( all the time), any less if he was 'cheap'.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:26 pm

No but it does make it less of a bear on the purse strings and lets face it we have wasted a lot of money in the last year. Easily 60Mil down the pan in Carroll, Downing, Adam and one can argue we overpaid for Henderson too.

With Adam though I suppose you get what you pay for.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

one top class striker and it'll lift this team to a top four finish, next season
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kalos » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:44 pm

One top class striker and one up and coming talent - in case he gets injured as that would leave us where we are now- toothless.

Also, we need a top class RW /RM ASAP.

Time to go for Kuyt, Aurelio, Spearing, Maxi....and Carra (sorry but its true)

If there's no MAJOR improvement (as in the guys are unrecognisable from the players they are now) next season for Henderson, Adam and Carroll they should be gone too as it will mean no Champions league- again.
kalos

Postby Zidane » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:22 am

We need some big signings in the summer or one more bad season and we'll start losing players again.  Like Devaney said, Adam is poor and should not be an automatic choice for midfield as he has been when fit, same goes for Carra being our 3rd CB and Henderson at RM.  I don't know where we go from here to be honest.  Suarez isn't a lone striker, and although he can be absolutely brilliant at times he needs someone with him up front that's why I don't understand why we do not start Carroll with him every game.  Yeah, understandably we don't play the football we played in that first half but what good has that done us all season long?  Our most effective lineup has Carroll and Suarez in it imo and we just haven't played them together enough.

30 goals in 26 games is pathetic.
Zidane

Postby sixbuster » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Zidane wrote:We need some big signings in the summer or one more bad season and we'll start losing players again.  Like Devaney said, Adam is poor and should not be an automatic choice for midfield as he has been when fit, same goes for Carra being our 3rd CB and Henderson at RM.  I don't know where we go from here to be honest.  Suarez isn't a lone striker, and although he can be absolutely brilliant at times he needs someone with him up front that's why I don't understand why we do not start Carroll with him every game.  Yeah, understandably we don't play the football we played in that first half but what good has that done us all season long?  Our most effective lineup has Carroll and Suarez in it imo and we just haven't played them together enough.

30 goals in 26 games is pathetic.

very good post
Forever a red
sixbuster

Postby afficionado » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 pm

We can blame our luck in some matches, but the problem is that our midfielders don't score easily. Had Downing or Henderson been more effective, the current position would have been much better. The only two people who can score regularly are Suarez and Kuytt. Someone is needed just behind Suarez, but I don't know who can that be.
Liverpool at the moment faces another problem at the centre of the defence. As far as I have seen, I think that a centre-back like Colloccini would be a great addition,someone who would be able to carry the ball forward and handle the pressure or stop any counter attacks in time. That of course depends on the funds available.
Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today
afficionado

Postby parchpea » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Not sure if its been posted elsewhere but nice words from Arteta today.

He didnt need to say anything and some positive feedback for a change.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:10 pm

parchpea wrote:Not sure if its been posted elsewhere but nice words from Arteta today.

maybe you wanna post what he said or give a link for those who don't know?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Greavesie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:17 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
parchpea wrote:Not sure if its been posted elsewhere but nice words from Arteta today.

maybe you wanna post what he said or give a link for those who don't know?

Mikel Arteta has thanked not only Arsenal but also Liverpool's staff, players and fans for their support after he was injured in Saturday's game at Anfield.

The Spaniard, who was at Everton for six years before leaving last summer, collided with Jordan Henderson in the second half and required lengthy treatment before being carried off on a stretcher.

He was taken to hospital in the city as Arsenal's medical staff were concerned about a possible neck injury but he was released later that day.

Arteta has now expressed his gratitude to everyone who looked after him and those who have sent their best wishes.

The midfielder is looking forward to getting back to action as quickly as possible, although he will not play for a week so that he can recover from concussion.

"I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their help and friendship towards me on Saturday," wrote Arteta in an open letter on Arsenal's official website.

"After my accident on the pitch, the Arsenal medical staff did a great job, together with everyone at Liverpool Football Club.

"From Anfield, I was taken straight to the Aintree University Hospital, where they checked me, just as a precaution.

"Everything was fine and I was able to travel from the hospital and join up with my team-mates for the train journey back to London.

"I've since looked back at the TV images of when I was being taken off and just want to show my appreciation to the Liverpool fans at Anfield.

"It is touching to receive that response from the fans of a great club when I am leaving the pitch injured. Thank you.

"I also want to thank Pepe Reina and the Liverpool players who have sent me messages of support and friendship, this again is really touching and just shows class from a great football club.

"And very importantly, a message to all the fantastic Arsenal fans, not only all those at Anfield on Saturday who were brilliant, but also those who have sent me many messages since Saturday.

"It is hugely appreciated. I cannot tell you how much this means to me.

"It must have looked very serious to everyone as I left the pitch on a stretcher, but I'm pleased to say that I'm fine now and hope to be back on the pitch very soon. Thank you everyone."
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby ethanr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:32 am

Ya I saw that from Arteta.  Classy, especially considering he's played for Everton and there's naturally bad blood, although when he was taken off I thought the same thing as him, class from the Liverpool fans for their support.

Good post Dev back there as well, I agree.  Adam has really shut down as of late, and as much as it scares me to say it we were better without Stevie.  He's may favorite player and always will be, but maybe it's come his time where he's not an automatic starter too.  Wouldn't mind seeing Coates over Carra.  I love Carra to death, but he seems to cost us at least one goal every time we play.  Hendo can't play on the right. It's too bad that we waste Maxi who's done well for us out there, and Kuyt sometimes as well.

People forget that Suarez was played as a support striker at Ajax.  He was bought to set up goals for their other striker, and he did that well.  He just scored a billion goals at the same time.  We can't expect him to score so many goals in the prem, but if we had another top class natural scorer, he'd be twice as good for us.  Lavezzi's been touted a lot, but he's a lot like Suarez.  He's not the scorer as much as the creator, doesn't get many goals.  Cavani would be great but I just can't get my hopes up on that.  Soldado would be great if we had a chance.

Arsenal performance was one of our best of the season, and sad to lose all 3 points, but it just shows where we have trouble.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:23 am

shame it wasn't RVP and they didn't amputate his left foot
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games