arsenal v LIVERPOOL Sun 16th 4.00pm F.A Cup

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:22 am

With Arsenals CL clash with Bayern on Wednesday in mind Wenger is expected to make up to 6 changes to the side that lost 5-1 at anfield with the likes of Fabianski, Podolski, Gnabry, Flamini and Oxlade-Chamberlain expected to start.
Arsenal are keen to set the record straight after their mauling last weekend and there's a lot of pride at stake so they'll come at us like a train from the start.
I was initially tempted to say we should rest players for this ourselves but considering the Swansea game is 7 days after this one the players have plenty of time to recover so I'd go with a strong side and see if we can dent their confidence even further.

Mingolet

Flannagan.             Skrtel.             Agger.             Cissokho

Gerrard.         Henderson

Coutinho

Sterling.         Sturridge.         Suarez
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Should be a touch closer than last week.

Arsnel 2 - 4 LFC
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:48 pm

I'd make changes for this one...

Mignolet
Kelly
Skrtel
Agger
Cissokho
Allen
Henderson
Moses
Coutinho
Sterling
Suarez

Rest Gerrard and Sturridge for this one and give Suarez a go upfront as captain (if Agger doesnt start) to hopefully get him back scoring again. Still a strong lineup and if Arsenal make wholesale changes (which I dont expect) then we'll have a good chance of winning this one. Regardless, playing a high line against Sterling and Suarez is a risky move (home or away) and if we can get our tactics right and be ruthless on the counter like we were in the last game then it wont matter much what they do on the night. Not too concerned about the result, but it would be a good confidence boost for us to beat them at their ground and more importantly knock them down a bit more because their run of fixtures this month and next month is unforgiving and going into that period on bad form could spell the end of their season as challengers on all fronts (happened to them a couple of years back).
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:31 pm

I say we rest a few. Sturridge and Sterling definitely (Sterling obviously needs a rest), maybe Gerrard and Flanagan. I'd probably play Texeria. Unlike Arsenal, we don't have a big squad, so we should concentrate on the league.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:04 pm

As Yakka has pointed out, it's seven days between the Arsenal match and our next fixture (Swansea). Unless a player is carrying a niggle or a knock I wouldn't rest anybody.

Field our strongest available 11 and hopefully stuff them again  :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Cazorla is out but Flamini is back for the Gunners. That's really good news for them as they missed him a lot in the past 2 games. Arteta hasn't been up to it.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Honestly cant see why we would rest anyone when the next game is 7 days away.
This is Arsenal away for a chance to be in the FA cup quarters with some of the top sides gone.
Definitely out will be

United
Spurs
Arsenal - if we win
Chelsea / City

That leaves Everton, Chelsea or city and Southampton (if they go through) left out of the better sides.
Wide open to win the cup....and even the double  :buttrock

Seriously though, no messing about here, we played strong sides against Oldham and Bournemouth. We should also here.
And I am going so even more of a reason  :D

Mignolet
Flanagan
Skrtel
Agger
Cissokho
Gerrard
Henderson
Coutinho
Sterling
Suarez
Sturridge
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby ethanr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Ben Patrick » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:43 am wrote:Honestly cant see why we would rest anyone when the next game is 7 days away.
This is Arsenal away for a chance to be in the FA cup quarters with some of the top sides gone.
Definitely out will be

United
Spurs
Arsenal - if we win
Chelsea / City

That leaves Everton, Chelsea or city and Southampton (if they go through) left out of the better sides.
Wide open to win the cup....and even the double  :buttrock

Seriously though, no messing about here, we played strong sides against Oldham and Bournemouth. We should also here.
And I am going so even more of a reason  :D

Mignolet
Flanagan
Skrtel
Agger
Cissokho
Gerrard
Henderson
Coutinho
Sterling
Suarez
Sturridge

Exactly this. We've played strong teams against the much lower clubs, so why not do the same against ar5ena1? We've already invested a decent amount of effort into it, and we'd have a decent shot at actually winning this thing, and we should take that chance. The only downside if we win is that ar5ena1 are going out against bayern right away and won't have any distractions for the rest of the PL, but at least their schedule is tough.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:21 pm

aCe' » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:48 pm wrote:I'd make changes for this one...

Mignolet
Kelly
Skrtel
Agger
Cissokho
Allen
Henderson
Moses
Coutinho
Sterling
Suarez

Rest Gerrard and Sturridge for this one and give Suarez a go upfront as captain (if Agger doesnt start) to hopefully get him back scoring again. Still a strong lineup and if Arsenal make wholesale changes (which I dont expect) then we'll have a good chance of winning this one. Regardless, playing a high line against Sterling and Suarez is a risky move (home or away) and if we can get our tactics right and be ruthless on the counter like we were in the last game then it wont matter much what they do on the night. Not too concerned about the result, but it would be a good confidence boost for us to beat them at their ground and more importantly knock them down a bit more because their run of fixtures this month and next month is unforgiving and going into that period on bad form could spell the end of their season as challengers on all fronts (happened to them a couple of years back).

Same but would probably start with Sturridge instead of Luis to see if he can keep his run going.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:55 pm

Just read an article about how Wenger was a fan of Liverpool and the playing style from the 80s and that his name was thrown up as a replacement for Souness. Would have been interesting if that did happen!
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Boocity » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:08 pm

If Johnsons fit I would play him instead of Cissokho and Agger in place of Tooure or Skytel. These guys have got to be made awarte that their places are in danger playing the way we did at the back against Fulham
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Id rest sterling. Play moses instead probably rest Gerrard and Coutinho and play Texiera and Alberto.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Well Rodgers said that he doesn't see a reason to rest his players because we have no one to play during mid-week and that he wants us to go to Wembley, so I guess that we can expect to see the same team again, possibly with Agger back in the team and maybe Johnson. I really wish we could rest Sterling though, he looked really tired against Fulham.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:51 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:04 pm wrote:As Yakka has pointed out, it's seven days between the Arsenal match and our next fixture (Swansea). Unless a player is carrying a niggle or a knock I wouldn't rest anybody.

Field our strongest available 11 and hopefully stuff them again  :buttrock
I agree with one exception Agger for Toure
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:41 pm

We should try win this cup as next season BR might not go for it so seriously if we're in champs league.
Let's rip then a new one.     Again.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games