Video Technology Debate - The Pro's and the Con's

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:54 pm

What exactly does the 4th official do during a game? Correct me if im wrong (like you lot need an invite !) but does he not have a monitor in front of him? If something happens, like the utd "save" by carroll against tottenham then why cant they call it? They all speak to each other through ear pieces dont they? Why cant the 4th official say "hang on, thats a clear goal mate". Blatant things like that could easily be handled with a word from the 4th official. It doesnt have to be everything, refs are only human after all and they are the ones officiating the games so if it isnt as blatant then its the refs call.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:13 pm

Kharhaz wrote:What exactly does the 4th official do during a game? Correct me if im wrong (like you lot need an invite !) but does he not have a monitor in front of him? If something happens, like the utd "save" by carroll against tottenham then why cant they call it? They all speak to each other through ear pieces dont they? Why cant the 4th official say "hang on, thats a clear goal mate". Blatant things like that could easily be handled with a word from the 4th official. It doesnt have to be everything, refs are only human after all and they are the ones officiating the games so if it isnt as blatant then its the refs call.

it comes down to the problem of jurisdiction... who can over-rule who? should the referee-in-charge always trust the intervention of the 4th official? things like that...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:32 am

Divers panel - this would be the single best thing to happen to football for ages.  For the life of me I can't understand why it hasn't happened yet.

Goal line technology - yes, no reason why not if done properly.

Anything else I don't support.  I certainly don't like the 'challenge' idea.  If there is any other time video technology could be used, perhaps it is when a ball is in the back of the net, and the ref has a question about something (off side, hand ball, etc) leading up to the ball being out of play, in the net, but I don't see too many occasions when that would achieve much.

But, the big problem in football is not controversial decisions.  The big problem is the cheating and related treatment of referees.  I don't want much, I only want three things:

1. A divers panel, with teeth
2. Yellow cards for players who surround/abuse the ref
3. Yellow cards for all players in a wall that needs to be told more than once to retreat and stay 10 metres.

Do that, and I'd be happy.  Don't suppose that is ever going to happen though...
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion