4th or Trophies debate

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Fri May 18, 2012 9:24 am

Thommo's perm » Fri May 18, 2012 8:16 am wrote:It is a true reflection of the times we live in that KK has been used, abused, stabbed in the back and discarded like a used snotrag.
I am now convinced that FSG didnt want KK in the first place and were forced into asking him back to pull us out the sh'it that Hodgson via T&T had got us into. Looking back they were very reluctant to bring back the King because his return would take power from them and he would have influence over decisions. In any business you dont want this to happen because you need total control to carry out your "vision", and KK was in the way. Once he had turned the situation around they were then forced to give him a 3 year contract due to public pressure. This gave him even more influence and must have had them seriously quaking in their boots. They had no intention of keeping him on and were looking for any excuse to jettison him. Their silence during the Suarez affair speaks volumes now. They let him fu'ck it up because they could then use it against him later. If they wanted to keep KK they would have supported him, not forced him to apologise.
I am seeing just what is happening at LFC with our two jolly, gentle "uncles" from across the pond. They are smiling assassins and their local enforcer Ayre is no better. He smirks while he shits on the carcass of our club. The holy grail of CL qualification will be the death of LFC as we know it, because if a true  legend can be blatantly and publicly sacrificed at its altar, crucified on the road to just being in the hat, then there is no hope for anyone.
:no

I think they gave up on Kenny and Comolli a long time ago.  No funds in Jan even though we knew Lucas was out for the season, Gerrard was struggling with fitness and Suarez had an 8 game ban coming up..... 
Silence during the Suarez drama and now sacking Kenny 

I agree that they have their own vision and Kenny just got in the way for awhile.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby sniffy98 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:28 am

The landscape in football has completely changed as everyone knows since the billionaires showed up. These guys are willing to pay £250k a week to players without thinking twice and the rest of the clubs are meant to somehow still compete. When I was a kid growing up, the likes of the FA Cup were huge. Semi finals were not played at Wembley and the final was the showpiece, final game of the season. However as money has taken a greedy control in football, top 4 has taken new significance and the owners will always choose the financial windfall over silverware as they know the domestic cups only brings in around a million quid. Champions league is imperative. 

KK on the other hand was old school. He preferred to get the glory of actually *winning* something. It's just a pity he was unable to balance our league performances out and ultimately the people in power just couldn't turn a blind eye to some of the terrible league results. The next man in charge will find it even tougher to get top 4 IMO. Chavski and Citeh will just carry on using their unlimited financial might. The filthy Mancs will also come back stronger. And then you have the spuds who are on the upward curve and also L'***** who have surprised me by finishing so strongly when at one point looked like missing out on the top 10 let alone Europe. Even though I expect Newcastle to fall away, that's still a tough battle we will have and he will know that winning a cup only will not be enough! Me personally I am still haunted by Arsenal 87 and Wimbledon 88...and they say the cups don't matter. Those defeats were hard to take as an 8/9 year old!
sniffy98

Postby Boxscarf » Fri May 18, 2012 11:42 am

I want us to win every competition we are in every season. I want the Carling Cup as much I want the Champions League. I don't want cups and 4th. I want cups and 1st.
Boxscarf

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 am

Boxscarf » Fri May 18, 2012 10:42 am wrote:I want us to win every competition we are in every season. I want the Carling Cup as much I want the Champions League. I don't want cups and 4th. I want cups and 1st.

after what ayre has said the manager would be off his head to even attempt to win the f.a cup, uefa cup or league cup, even if he won all 3 he wouldnt still be in a job.
he`s better going out in the first round to save himself all the travelling to meaningless games.
these people dont give a $*i*e about the game, it`s history or traditions.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Redman in wales » Fri May 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Not my view, but this might shape the owners views...

Next season is the first of a new three-year broadcast cycle for Uefa and the broadcast element of the competition’s revenues which, including sponsorships, currently total €1.1 billion (£850 million) — will at least double.

That could mean the €51.025 million earned by last season’s champions, Barcelona, would become €100 million in the 2012-3 to 2014-5 cycle. Indeed, with England’s broadcast market generating more cash for English clubs than their continental competitors, the impact could be even greater here.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 19, 2012 12:17 am

for a start i think the club should not be built just to get into the CL, THE CLUB SHOULD BE BUILT AT WINNING THE PERM, DONT GET THIS MIXED UP THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING, as Rafa sown, he built a  team that was great in the CL year after year. but was always hit and miss in the prem.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 19, 2012 1:46 am

lakes10 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:17 pm wrote:for a start i think the club should not be built just to get into the CL, THE CLUB SHOULD BE BUILT AT WINNING THE PERM, DONT GET THIS MIXED UP THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING, as Rafa sown, he built a  team that was great in the CL year after year. but was always hit and miss in the prem.

he came second with 86 points (the most this club has ever achieved in the prem) to a united side with a front 3 of rooney, ronaldo and tevez.
to finish above chelsea in that era was an unbelievable achievement considering the money they were spending back then, they had £20m players like SWP, scott parker and wayne bridge not even getting into their playing squad.
he finished above arsenal 3 times, that meant the only 2 teams that finished above him were united and chelsea, 2 of the richest clubs on the planet at the time.
you wanted him to beat them without having nowhere near their resources? to do what he did was a miracle in itself.
some people just havent got realistic expectations, i bet they have now though
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat May 19, 2012 1:55 am

havent read any other post but for me its simple, cup win before 4th defo.
Not arsed about where we finish in the league unless we win it.

Yes i want champions league football but straight answer i would rather win somethin than qualify for the champions league.

Nothing was better than the wembley games this season.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby andy_g » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 am

why does it have to be either or? surely the aim is to get us back to being a club with excellent players playing excellent football under an excellent manager. if we get these things right again we should be capable of winning cups AND being in the top 4. simples.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat May 19, 2012 8:29 am

andy_g » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 am wrote:why does it have to be either or? surely the aim is to get us back to being a club with excellent players playing excellent football under an excellent manager. if we get these things right again we should be capable of winning cups AND being in the top 4. simples.

Problem is the new manager already knows that it's pointless playing a strong team in cup competitions and risking injury/suspensions, when the outcome even if you do a domestic cup double is most likely the sack if 4th place is not achieved......

A return to Wembley for 2 cup finals in a season will always be cherished even if it was an expensive do.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:44 am

supersub » Sat May 19, 2012 8:29 am wrote:
andy_g » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 am wrote:why does it have to be either or? surely the aim is to get us back to being a club with excellent players playing excellent football under an excellent manager. if we get these things right again we should be capable of winning cups AND being in the top 4. simples.

Problem is the new manager already knows that it's pointless playing a strong team in cup competitions and risking injury/suspensions, when the outcome even if you do a domestic cup double is most likely the sack if 4th place is not achieved......

A return to Wembley for 2 cup finals in a season will always be cherished even if it was an expensive do.

the sad thing is that Kenny come back to the club and won something and still got sacked, theres only two teams this would have ever happend to, chelsea and man city, shame we now have to add our name to that list.

this year has shown that our club will never be the liverpool i grew up loving.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat May 19, 2012 9:49 am

lakes10 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:44 am wrote:
supersub » Sat May 19, 2012 8:29 am wrote:

the sad thing is that Kenny come back to the club and won something and still got sacked, theres only two teams this would have ever happend to, chelsea and man city, shame we now have to add our name to that list.

this year has shown that our club will never be the liverpool i grew up loving.

You helped contribute to that yourself .
Benny The Noon

Postby Redman in wales » Sat May 19, 2012 10:53 am

It's always a little more complex than it seems.

If it’s down to one or the other then, me, as a fan I would rather us win a cup and finish 7th or 8th than finish 4th and not win anything (just look at Arsenal over the last few years).

But there is no reason why both can’t be achieved. But sometimes you have to prioritise one more to get to a time in the future where both are possible.
We finished 8th last season and 6th and 7th the seasons before. We need better players to get up into the position where we want to be – to be in with a chance of winning the league AND cup competitions.

With the exceptions of finding a few diamonds in the rough, most world class players will only move to somewhere which can offer them the chance to play in Europe’s top club competition, the Champions League. Players like Mata, Llorente, Hazard, Lavezzi, Higuain etc will only move to a team in the Champions league.

So to get to a position where we want to be – winning the league and cups – we need to get in to the champions league to attract a better quality of player. Yes there are a few players – like Suarez – who will move regardless, but most wont, so until we’re back in the Champions league positions, then the pool of players that are interested in coming to us is a lot smaller.

Yes we can talk about “projects” and getting the great club of Liverpool back where it belongs, but a lot of European players don’t really care about that, they just want to play on the greatest stages in the world (champions league etc) and win trophies. Not something we can offer at the moment. 

For me as a fan – I love to see us win cups, but long term, we need to be in the Champions league so that we can attract the best players so that we can improve our squad, so that we can compete in all fronts, so that we can be within a chance of winning the league and cups in the same season.

No team goes from 8th to 1st. We are not going to be challenging for the title next season. I will always want us to bring home a trophy, but I want us to be able to get in to a position where we can challenge for the league title, and to do that I think we need to get in to those champions league positions as a priority.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Basil » Sat May 19, 2012 11:40 am

Well said Redman, it's not as easy as 4th or trophies but we need to be in the top 4 to attract the top players and have a squad capable of challenging on all fronts.

If all we wanted was a chance of one of the domestic cups we might as well play in the championship but we are Liverpool football club and we need to be aiming to win all four competitions.
Basil

Postby zarababe » Sat May 19, 2012 12:46 pm

The league is our 'bread and butter' and that must be a priority. I don't want to look at the table for the next 'upteen' years and be dismissive of it becsue of our  6th, 7th etc etc finish. I wanna be top of the pile. Our AIM should be to finish top , (second is no-where...) with that ethos / aim in mind we can then reach top 4 heights to qualify for the luractive CL.

The CL is leading to the Euro super league and we must be participating in that regularly.

Cups are secondary in the grand scheme of things - a bonus if won, but not a neccesity in the light of the way things are movin..

Ayre is right - we have a huge world-wide appeal, based on our past glory - we can't live off that anyomore, the Manc City of this world, wants to draw the supporter of the future, and we must remain at the competitive edge to maintain our worldwide appea,l ahead of these.

So I wanna be a league title winner, challenger year on year, with CL football to look forward to.

If we win a cup or two along the way, then so be it. But when the FA themselves allow the Premiership to  conlclude the season and not the FA cup ... it tells you how priorities have shifted.. we need to wake up and rise to the challenge, before we are truly left behind..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion