4th or Trophies debate

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:27 am

Kukilon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:13 pm wrote:Blimey how long is this run for Arsenal ? 7 years they haven't won anything

It will get harder and harder for us every year and easier and easier for them. No one can give an exact anser to that question.

Nonsense.

You think this season has been easy for Arsenal? For the first time ever a large portion of support has called for Wenger's head. Arsenal under Wenger will never achieve anything, his transfer policy is flawed.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 am

SouthCoastShankly » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:27 am wrote:
Kukilon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:13 pm wrote:Blimey how long is this run for Arsenal ? 7 years they haven't won anything

It will get harder and harder for us every year and easier and easier for them. No one can give an exact anser to that question.

Nonsense.

You think this season has been easy for Arsenal? For the first time ever a large portion of support has called for Wenger's head. Arsenal under Wenger will never achieve anything, his transfer policy is flawed.

It's like saving for a rainy day. The club has been to cautious and also Wenger may not be the best for Arsenal if you look at his results. I would be calling for his head too. Arsenal is one of the few clubs that is abiding by the FFP rules though so they must be doing something good and still sort of competing with the other big clubs.

Looking at trohpies it has been awful for them but it will surely change in a few years time if they adopt a better manager or give him more freedom financially.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:46 pm

just to point out that guardiola has won 13 titles in his 4 year reign and that doesnt include his league position in the seasons they didnt win the league.
wonder why he has managed to forget them amazing achievements.
maybe its because your success is only measured by what you win? and what you nearly win is probably best forgotten about?.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:05 pm

arsenal's yearly champions league qualification hasn't really allowed them to bring in better players anyway. what genuinely world class player have they brought in the last 5 years? at the end of the day they don't pay the wages and the champions league is vital for them merely to help pay for the stadium. all tehy achieved this year was getting humiliated in the san siro.

on the other hand, if chelsea fall out the top 4 and don't win the final, they'll still be able to attract players because of the wages they pay.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kukilon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:20 pm

stmichael » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:05 pm wrote:arsenal's yearly champions league qualification hasn't really allowed them to bring in better players anyway. what genuinely world class player have they brought in the last 5 years? at the end of the day they don't pay the wages and the champions league is vital for them merely to help pay for the stadium. all tehy achieved this year was getting humiliated in the san siro.

on the other hand, if chelsea fall out the top 4 and don't win the final, they'll still be able to attract players because of the wages they pay.

It will pay off in the long run. Chelsea won't be able to keep on making losses because of reckless spedning if they want to play in europe anymore.

Arsenals way of handling their economy is the future.. look at germany also.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby realm » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:59 am

I won't both,the seasons only a failure overall because we've been terrible in the league and haven't improved on last season,hopefully it won't be the same story next.
realm
LFC newBie

Postby supersub » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:14 am

League campaign has been a failure not the season overall...with one cup won and a cup final appearance next week, I'm happy to be a Liverpool supporter....

welcome to the forum "realm"
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:28 am

Kukilon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 pm wrote:
stmichael » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:05 pm wrote:arsenal's yearly champions league qualification hasn't really allowed them to bring in better players anyway. what genuinely world class player have they brought in the last 5 years? at the end of the day they don't pay the wages and the champions league is vital for them merely to help pay for the stadium. all tehy achieved this year was getting humiliated in the san siro.

It will pay off in the long run. Chelsea won't be able to keep on making losses because of reckless spedning if they want to play in europe anymore.

Arsenals way of handling their economy is the future.. look at germany also.

Im still waiting for the bubble to burst and the money in football to dry up...
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:25 pm

One basic fact that's not even been mentioned in this thread is that football is a sport. Sport is about competition. It's about comaraderie (at least it's supposed to be). Say sport today and think 'Sky'. Sport is about competing, not winning and losing. However...if you compete and you win, you win a trophy. So there are only two main things that matter....participating, and the end result. Throw however many things you like in between 'participate' and 'result' such as money, politics and drama but be aware that to focus on other things can make a person lose sight of what matters.

Everyone can have money. Everyone can lose. But only one can win.

Gimme the cup!
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:50 pm

This season is all about cups ,next season our priorities may be finishing in the top four and featuring in the Champions League.
I mean, who knows what will unfold,and if that slut  lady luck decides to throw the occasional  glance in our direction then just
maybe we can set our aims even higher....lets face facts if we can endure our worst season for a long time and still finish it
with three trips to Wembley and winning two cups then I for one will be delighted with what some fans see as abject failure .   

I firmly believe this season we have grabbed the headlines for all the wrong reasons ,and I think next season we will dominate the
back pages again...... only this time  because we will merit them with our performances.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Thu May 17, 2012 11:27 am

I guess our owners have answered this question for us in the last 24 hours.  (whether we agree with it or not)

If I was the new manager, Id be playing the kids in the cups next season and focusing entirely on the PL.  Wouldnt even have Gerrard, Suarez, Agger, Reina, Skrtel, Lucas travelling for Europa games.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 17, 2012 11:42 am

well yesterday proved one thing, that old adage that LFC exists to win trophies isnt true anymore, LFC exists to make money these days.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby burjennio » Thu May 17, 2012 12:27 pm

RedAnt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:25 pm wrote:One basic fact that's not even been mentioned in this thread is that football is a sport. Sport is about competition. It's about comaraderie (at least it's supposed to be). Say sport today and think 'Sky'. Sport is about competing, not winning and losing. However...if you compete and you win, you win a trophy. So there are only two main things that matter....participating, and the end result. Throw however many things you like in between 'participate' and 'result' such as money, politics and drama but be aware that to focus on other things can make a person lose sight of what matters.

Everyone can have money. Everyone can lose. But only one can win.

Gimme the cup!

I disagree with this, in a bizarre way I think the only clubs that football is primarily a "sport" for first and foremost anymore are the billionaire owners like the Mansours and Abramovichs who dont run their clubs with the financial responsibility that the rest of the footballing world is tied to. All these guys care about is winning, and writing off hundreds of millions of pounds is an acceptable loss to them if it guarantees the silverware at the end of the season. All the rest are left behind trying to find the balance between ruin and reward and, unless your the owner of Portsmouth or Glasgow Rangers, the head will always rule the heart and money will always come before success. Thats why the much coveted "top four finish" has reached mythical levels in the last decade, and thats why the domestic cups, and the Europa league (in England anyway) have become so devalued.

You can pine for the good old days but sadly football has evolved and the Champions League, for a club of Liverpools stature at least, has to be the priority every season. I dont like it, Im sure most of you dont either but its the truth. And ultimately its whats cost Kenny Dalglish his job this season. Patience seems to be the first casualty in the relentless pursuit of success.
burjennio

Postby stmichael » Thu May 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Terry McDermott ‏@TerryMac777
In my day the Cups meant everything to us winning medals and going to Wembley, now finishing 4th is more important than winning any Cup

Terry McDermott ‏@TerryMac777
A kids growing up we all dreamed of scoring in a cup final, i cant remember dreaming of scoring the winner that clinched us 4th
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 am

It is a true reflection of the times we live in that KK has been used, abused, stabbed in the back and discarded like a used snotrag.
I am now convinced that FSG didnt want KK in the first place and were forced into asking him back to pull us out the sh'it that Hodgson via T&T had got us into. Looking back they were very reluctant to bring back the King because his return would take power from them and he would have influence over decisions. In any business you dont want this to happen because you need total control to carry out your "vision", and KK was in the way. Once he had turned the situation around they were then forced to give him a 3 year contract due to public pressure. This gave him even more influence and must have had them seriously quaking in their boots. They had no intention of keeping him on and were looking for any excuse to jettison him. Their silence during the Suarez affair speaks volumes now. They let him fu'ck it up because they could then use it against him later. If they wanted to keep KK they would have supported him, not forced him to apologise.
I am seeing just what is happening at LFC with our two jolly, gentle "uncles" from across the pond. They are smiling assassins and their local enforcer Ayre is no better. He smirks while he shits on the carcass of our club. The holy grail of CL qualification will be the death of LFC as we know it, because if a true  legend can be blatantly and publicly sacrificed at its altar, crucified on the road to just being in the hat, then there is no hope for anyone.
:no
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion