Sad sad day! - Technology introduced for the world cup

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:32 am

imo football is the same the world over wether your playing in the CL final or on a cold sunday morning on jericoh lane the laws and rules are the same for everone if you bring in new technology you start saying that a goal scored by say baros is more important than a goal scored by stu(highly unlikely i know) whos going to pay for the microchips and computers for all the games that are played in the uk let alone the world thats the beauty you see  its the same for everyone and thats why its so popular stu is subject to the same laws and rulus as baros,this is about the only area i agree with mad mr blatter he wants football to be the same for every one the whole world over.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:15 pm

I get fed up with the way Maradonna (greatest player ever in my opinion) is referred to as a cheat. Every player has cheated, it happens in every game. remember his genius.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kingofthegreen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:19 pm

Big Niall wrote:I get fed up with the way Maradonna (greatest player ever in my opinion) is referred to as a cheat. Every player has cheated, it happens in every game. remember his genius.

sorry to hear your getting fed up with people slaggin diego!?!

i feel many are still feeling cheated that the little porky fella did us out of the world cup! the biggest disgrace being that with all that talent, he resorted to the 'hand of god'!

Image  Image
kingofthegreen

Postby Big Niall » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:43 pm

I don't think the germans are still complaining about the linesman who allowed that goal nearly 40 years ago, the belgians about that dodgy free kick that led to Gazza's goal in 1990, the argies about Owens dive in 2002 etc etc.

Anyway the 1986 team was poor (lost opener to a ****** portugal team). No way they would have won world cup (Hodge and peter Reid etc was the standard of the team)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kingofthegreen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:55 pm

Big Niall wrote:I don't think the germans are still complaining about the linesman who allowed that goal nearly 40 years ago, the belgians about that dodgy free kick that led to Gazza's goal in 1990, the argies about Owens dive in 2002 etc etc.

Anyway the 1986 team was poor (lost opener to a ****** portugal team). No way they would have won world cup (Hodge and peter Reid etc was the standard of the team)

sorry, i was agreeing with you - just wanted to convey what the majority/media probably feel about maradona. in fact he is probably remembered more for his off-field coke habit as opposed to his on-field magic......

Image  Image
kingofthegreen

Postby taff » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:50 pm

stu_the_red wrote:As someone said, it won't stop clowns and cheats like Maradonna and Saviola using the hands to gain an unfair advantage.

If won't stop goals that are offside...

What if the ball crossed the line, however the player was then found to be on video a couple of innches offside?

Then you're moving the goal posts again. Once its brought in for one thing, it won't be long before its brought in for anything. Anyone who want's this isn't and never will be a REAL football fan.

As a rugby player and I played football as well I have to agree with Stu

Rugby is a different sport than football where its a more territorially strategig game and the video analysis works as its a stop start game with didtinctive stages in the game development.  In rugby a ruck is formed and thats the basis for attack and it tends to operate on a territorial basis

Football flows a lot more freely and the different ends of the pitch are used a lot more in shorter spaces of time so any video analysis would have to take into account longer periods of the game as it doesnt tend to have the territorial possession thing as its main aim.

The other thing for me is that as a rugby player I am amazed at what referees put up with in football and this has been allowed and become part of the culture. I think its a disgrace but that is a different topic to be honest, but if you had video analysis IMO the players with the stakes in the game beinh huge would demand it be used and the pressure on referees would be huge to clarify their decision.

Would you as a ref refuse to go to video fora a midfield challenge in a game between Man Utd and Chelsea at the end of this season with Keane demanding you do so. If you dont and your proved to be wrong can you imagine the pressure that would put you under so players would use video for tit for tat decisions.  There is IMO a childish culture in football with this and this also includes the fans.  How many of us have sworn and gone a bit loopy at a game and some fans report players to the police for swearing  ???

Football is a more swaying game hence making it more emotional to watch as it can change in a second while Rugby and I love the both dearly is more strategic so you appreciate the battles that take place even if they do not directly lead to points being scored but it is a more structured game

Stop starting Rugby actually enhances the game as it naturally doesnt mind this happening but this use of technology in football would destroy the game and would increase the petty media arguments that take place at this moment in time
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:16 pm

If we have the technology, why not clone that baldy, eye bulging Italian ref (whose name for some damn reason escapes me, you all know him)

That way theres no mistakes and game flows.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:19 pm

piere luigi collina

is that who you mean niall??

:)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:21 pm

We could also clone Gerrard and sell him and keep him  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:14 pm

It always boils down to human judgement.

Point of example: England played Ireland in Dublin last Sunday. The English had two "tries" disallowed. Andy Robinson complained that the referee should at least have had recourse to video evidence which was freely available to him but he decided not to use it.

In that case the technology existed and would of helped, but the referee decided not to resort to it.

At the end of it all most decisions still lie with the referee.

I am in favour of a limited use of technology, but I'm afraid of advocating it in front of Il Duce Stu for fear of having my knee caps blown off and being castrated. :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:19 pm

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:20 pm

The referee was on hand with his linesmen for both of those decisions and in that instance are encouraged to make a decision without the video. 

The English coach has been criticised and is facing disciplinary action regarding his complaints about the ref

With video usage both tries would have still been disallowed and the English try given would have been disallowed as well. This is swings and roundabouts.  This is more frustration at not winning and the pressure that entails
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:29 pm

I agree with you taff: neither were tries, and the referee was correct (in hindsight) with what he did.

The problem is that technology will never end the criticism of officials, as some people are never happy.

Managers who constantly whinge about referees are ultimately bad managers.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:34 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I agree with you taff: neither were tries, and the referee was correct (in hindsight) with what he did.

The problem is that technology will never end the criticism of officials, as some people are never happy.

maybe, but with the high financial stakes at hand, it will be impossible to refuse technology into the game.

for me, it will produce more positives, as long as it has been thought out on how to use such a device in the high speed game of football

this is only my humble opinion  :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:53 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I agree with you taff: neither were tries, and the referee was correct (in hindsight) with what he did.

Thats the problem to be honest and why the International Rugby Board are clamping down

Another reason for my amazing respect to RB as he doesnt get sucked into these childish debates.  Losing must hurt him but he has dignity

I respect Ferguson for his talent and he supported the miners strike but I do think he has helped drag football into the gutter with constant moaning and questioning officials.  This has lead to immense pressure on refs and video technology would just hugely increase the pressure as Ive said above.

Wenger and Ferguson for me this season, both successful and talented but both have been embarrasing.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion